Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought I would post what happened today as a reminder to everyone to check your components and be sure you have the right stuff.

I was priming some 223 this afternoon and needed a few more primers. I got another brick out of storage, made sure it said small RIFLE and dumped them in with ones in the primer flipper. I was about done priming when I noticed the tray on the bench said small PISTOL. #$%^! I thought I screwed up and grabbed the wrong ones. Then I realized I've never bought any Brand X PISTOL primers. My pistol primers are Brands Y and Z. Rifle are brand X as a hedge against grabbing the wrong ones.

WTF? So I look at the 'brick', it says RIFLE. I look at the 10 individual trays, they all say PISTOL. Holy Chit, that's not good!

I think I bought them about 3 years ago. I can use them either way, but it would be nice to know what to use them in. confused

I'm going to contact the manufacturer with lot and carton numbers, when I see what they have to say, I'll let you know.
I'll post brand and purchase place then, if pertinent.

Anyhow, just a reminder to double check what your doing.

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like the primed 223 brass would make good candidates for some light Blue Dot loads!

Seriously though, that's not a good deal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ya I double check every thing the sales clerks give me at a store. I had one give me the wrong size primers that I asked for.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Years ago I was loading some 223 and when I got to the last 100 that day I noticed the pistol box.
I only took a few out of there but didn't know what ones had them.
When firing them in my Howa I found them quick enough,the firing pin pierced the pistol primers.They shot ok but there was a lot of smoke out of the mag well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you buy those from a major retailer or online? Or did you get them at a gun show or something??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Subscribed!

Cat, the other white meat!
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm pretty sure they were from one of two Pa. gunshops. Definitely not online and a gunshow is not likely. One shop keeps primers behind the counter, the other has them out on shelf near the gun counter/cash register.

Somebody could have dicked with them I suppose but why? Or it could be some sort of screw up from the printer or could be the manufacturer blew it too. Although I can't remember seeing any primer recall so it must be a really isolated thing.

Rule 1: Always pay attention

Rule 2: Chit happens, see rule 1

Dale

This space for rent

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Years ago I was loading some 223 and when I got to the last 100 that day I noticed the pistol box.
I only took a few out of there but didn't know what ones had them.
When firing them in my Howa I found them quick enough,the firing pin pierced the pistol primers.They shot ok but there was a lot of smoke out of the mag well.

laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
++++++++ UPDATE +++++++++

I called Winchester, fought my way through the automated answering system and had to leave a message. They were quite prompt at calling back. After I explained what I had, the tech service guy (Donnie?) asked what color the priming compound was. When I told him 'red', he said they were standard small pistol. Standard small rifle primers get blue compound. Then he asked if I could use them (which I can). I'm thinking they would have made it right if I couldn't use them.

He didn't ask for any lot numbers and we didn't really get into where or how the mixup may have occurred. Lots of possible places and ways I suppose. I can't remember any kind of a recall so it must have been a isolated thing. Maybe somebody local dicked with them on the shelf, who knows?

Anyhow, I now know what I have (and have relabeled the outer box) and a fresh reminder to pay attention.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have no earthly idea how many yahoos open boxes of ANYTHING related to ammo just to look at the items. I have no flipping idea what they think they'll learn by it, but it seems to be an ungovernable itch with some people.

And then, almost without exception, the dinkheads put things back in the wrong boxes. I've found .270 rounds in .280 boxes (and knew there was the reverse SOMEWHERE on that shelf), sleeves of large rifle primers in large pistol bricks, and any number of mismatched bullets.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.