Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19403957 Yesterday at 05:31 PM
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Expander ripped the neck off at the shoulder. Must need more neck lube!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Seriously, I usually use Redding neck powder on every other case. This was the first time in 25ish years of reloading?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I know graphite has become popular, but Imperial Wax creates less friction in the brass—in my slightly humble opinion.

Although if you’re at the point of ripping the neck off 🤣 Imperial may not be enough!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Up to last year, I used a Q-tip to apply Imperial wax to the inside of the case necks and that made the drag on the expander ball much less. Then, one way or another I had to remove the lube from inside of the necks.

Over the last year or so, I’ve been using Redding’s dry lube kit with graphite and tiny little balls that lubes the inside of the necks. Much easier to deal with….it doesn’t matter if there’s some graphite left in the neck either..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
Seriously, I usually use Redding neck powder on every other case. This was the first time in 25ish years of reloading?

Newer Winchester brass..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

General suggestion: Do everything the same on every case.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
For myself, it’s powdered graphite on the inside and Imperial Wax on the outside! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yet another reason not to pull the expander up through the neck.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Yet another reason not to pull the expander up through the neck.

BS.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
For myself, it’s powdered graphite on the inside and Imperial Wax on the outside! memtb

When I first started loading, I used graphite on the inside of the necks. Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

^^ this.

I've never seen the neck pulled off a case. I use a Qtip and RCBS case lube. It is a PITA, messy, incurs a couple extra steps to get it off, but it does lubricate well. I've not had an issue.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I tried graphite and didn’t like it. Now a tale a bore swab and spray it with lube that dries . Lyman or Hornady. It dries by itself so no extra steps necessary. Just my way. Edk

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went back to spray also. Graphite and wax worked well but it was a PITA.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's pretty obvious that the piece of brass had a defect. Brass just doesn't pull apart otherwise.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO
It's pretty obvious that the piece of brass had a defect. Brass just doesn't pull apart otherwise.

😳
Logic being used on the fire is not allowed. Brass is never defective, only dies are.

Agree though.

Swifty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never had that happen,

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Annealed?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never had that happen but have had necks split. Couldn't tell you what caused it but that hasn't happened in a long time. I've Unique lube on A Q tip when it seemed like the expander was pulling hard and problem went away. Mostly though I use One Shot spray and spray opposite side of the case's and down on both side's from about 45* angle getting lube in the neck. Seldom ever a problem.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Annealed?
“Once fired” Remington 😂
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Agreed. I just thought the campfire needed something to debate for a week or so.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by memtb

When I first started loading, I used graphite on the inside of the necks. Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

And you talk sh it about “complicated unnecessary sh it”.

Don’t have to do 20 trick moves to make a Redding bushing die work.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

Gotta agree with BSA on this one…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.