Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Okay, i have been working with this rifle trying to get it to shoot 40 gr vmax for months now and i simply CANNOT get this little sob sub MOA. the best i have had to date with that bullet is about 2 inches, i know terribly dissapointing. i have been using H322, and IMR 4895. a little help please? it shoots 26 gr Varmint Grenades like a dream, over whatever poweder i wanna throw in, at about any charge i wanna throw in there, but those are a little light for the longer shots.

Last edited by 35_PBBK; 12/05/09.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
sorry guys, its a .204 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not up on the 204's too much, but don't some rifles have issues with the longer 40Vmax or am I mistaking that with something else?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My bet is that it is the rifle. Contact Kimber and send it back to be "fixed". Over the past couple years, Kimber has had a major QC with their rifles. There are greatly Kimber rifle out there and equally not so great ones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try 23.5 gr RE10X for the 40 V-Maxes or Sierra 39 Blitzkings
I HAD a pair of the Kimber Varmints in .204. Both shot about 1-1.5" groups (5 shots - 100 yards).
I HAVE a pair of Coopers also in .204 that shoot into 3/8" all day long.
Think COOPER!
V

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So the rifle is "broken" if it won't shoot one bullet but does bug holes with another? Just a suggestion, why not try other brands of heavier .204 bullets first before sending to be "fixed". 35 to 40 grain Beger, Nosler and Sierra might work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point Phasmid as I did not read the first post closely as I would have seen that the rifle is capable of shooting a bullet accurately BUT I do stand by my statement about the QC issues with Kimber and that some (too many) of their rifles do need to be "fixed". And I am a Kimber fan as I own more than one but I do beleive in sharing the facts.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
From what I've read, there are lots of 204s that don't like the 40 grain VMax. Sierra 39 seems to have a good rep in the heavier weights, as do the Bergers.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
well, thanks for the input, first thing is to try "lightening the load" will try the 32's and 39's

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I went through my 204 phase I had the best luck with the 35 grt Bergers for accuracy and the 39 Gr Sierras were next best. I was never able to get the lighter bullets to shoot up to the equal of either of these as far as grouping ability. H4895 worked great for me for both the 35 and 39's, both weights shot sub-1/2" from my Cooper varminter.

As far as results on ground squirrels quite often the Bergers would punch through without any "explosive" results where the Sierra always gave "bits and pieces". I eventually sold the 204 and went back to my 223 for what I felt were more consistent results.

In re-reading the previous responses, and replies to it, I notice that you said that the heavier bullets shot around 2" and that the Varmint Grenades "shot like a dream", it may be helpful if you were more specific as to the group size the Varmint Grenades are shooting so that there is some comparison between the heavier bullets and the Varmint Grenades, that would give a better basis for comparison.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The best source for 204 loads etc is here:

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/

It seems that some guns like Sierras and some like Hornady etc. My Sako likes the Sierras with RL 10x and this is a VERY popular combo. It seems maybe it's the Savages that will launch the 40 gr Hornady and Nosler, but tjhis is just a casual observation.

There is an active shooter "Rick in Oregon" who frequents the Ruger board who has been a very outgoing and helpful shooter.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Drover: Your quote - "As far as results (with the 204 Ruger!) on ground squirrels quite often the Bergers would punch through without any "explosive" results where the Sierra always gave "bits and pieces". I eventually sold the 204 and went back to my 223 for what I felt were more consistent results".

What results are you talking about?
Are you infering that Ground Squirrels hit with 35 grain Bergers out of a 204 Ruger caliber Rifle don't die?
Because, I HAVE shot 35 grain Berger bullets (along with 32 and 39 and 40 grain Hornady's, 32 and 39 grain Sierras, 32 and 40 grain Noslers!) into the bodies of Ground Squirrels with the aid of 5 (five) different Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger to date and those Ground Squirrels died instantly and emphatically!
Dramatically, they died - if you will!
No inconsistencies noted what so ever with any of those bullets from any of those 204's!
Not only have I seen these "consistent" results observed from my Rifles but I have observed at least 20 other 204 Varminter Rifles being used to harvest the Ground Squirrels and said Squirrels virtually ALL ceased to exist INSTANTLY!
I would have to disagree with your assessment of the 204 Ruger bullets and their effect on Ground Squirrels 100%!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well VG you must be in one of your moods today and want something to argue about.

If you will quit trying to put a spin on what I said you will notice that I said that the Bergers did not give me "explosive" results - nowhere did I infer that it did not kill them.

I really don't care what your so-called results have been or how many you have supposedly seen used, if you like the 204 and have had good luck with it, then good for you.

After trying a 204 I was less than pleased with it and went back to my 223. That was my personal choice and it has nothing to do with you, if you are totally in awe of the 204 - great!, but I am not.

But your questioning my statement has nothing to do with the posters question does it? Rather it appears to be nothing but one of your attempts to stir the pot a bit. I replied to the posters question by pointing out that with the 204 I had results that pleased me better when using the 39 gr. Sierras than I did when using the 35 gr. Bergers.

If you don't like it that I prefer the 22 calibers over the 204 you need to get over because it is my choice, not yours,

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both my 204s like the lighter bullets better, but still shoot the 40-grain bullets sub MOA. My rifles are the Kimber Varmint and the T/C Encore. I have found that these rifles like the V-Max bullets best, but also shoot the other plastic tipped bullets accurately. For the 32-grain V-Max both rifles like H335, H322, and RL 10x. The Kimber also likes the RL 10x for the 40-grain V-Max. The Encore likes both the H322 and RL 10x for the 40-grainers. I have to say that the Kimber is consistently the better shooting gun. I can count on it to give me sub .5 MOA as long as I take my time.

There may be something messing with the rifle�s harmonics. I suggest that you also check the usual things on your rifle - bedding, crown, scope, screws and such. Usually Kimber�s barrels are pretty smooth, but a good lapping or fire lap never hurts.

I just fixed a 257 Roberts that shot badly but re-crowning it. It appears that one of the lands just inside the muzzle had a chip taken out of it. This was a brand new rifle, too.

Last edited by VarmintLooney; 12/08/09.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
the lighter bullets (26 grain VG's) were more in the neighborhood of .5-.75 inches.

thanks for all the advice folks

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My PacNor barreled 700 doesn't like the 40 grain VMAX real well either, it's not horrible, just not great. Its the longest of the 40s I've tried and I theorize it's just a little too long for the twist. My gun does really well with the 39 grain Sierra and 40 grain Nosler. Yeah, the BC is a hair lower, but who cares how fast it is if you miss? I'm using WW brass, Remington 7-1/2 primers, and 27.5 grains of Varget with both of those bullets.

Don't overlook the 32 grain VMAX or 32 grain Nosler, my gun shoots them both very well with 28 grains of H335, otherwise same brass and primers. Not as accurate as the 39 Sierra and 40 Nosler, but still good enough for head shots on ground squirrels past 300 yards on a calm day.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.