Print Thread
Hop To
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
So I'm hoping to know what the cause of this pucker/pinch in the shoulder. I was shooting at rock chucks Saturday and this case is the only one. I have heard it can happen if there's hydraulic pressure caused by too much oil left on the case after reloading. In fact have a friend that uses LW machine oil on his cases and doesn't really get them that clean after and this type of mark will show on some of his cases that I've seen. I've tried to tell him, but...

Anyway I try to be very careful about my reloading, and I've never seen this until now on my cases. FWIW it's a 22-250, win brass, 3rd reload, and I don't load them hot. Thanks in advance.
[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That looks more like a defect fold that formed when the brass was made than it does a lube dent.

N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
OK...could it be less noticeable at first, but then more pronounced as you reload the brass? I will say that its not as deep or long as some of the dents I've seen that I believed to be caused by lube.

Also, reuse this brass or chuck it?

Thanks!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by mathman
That looks more like a defect fold that formed when the brass was made than it does a lube dent.

That was my first thought as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some brute-forced cases for Fireball made from 223 brass, and I had some of "that" happen. So, that's probably a result of original forming, or a possible lube dent you missed when loading.
Not a big deal as long as the bullet doesn't touch the dent when seated, in my experience, anyway.
The crinkly shoulders don't affect accuracy to any degree, as long as the neck formed on center -- I trimmed and turned all the necks on the brute forced brass, including any possible "donut." The cases shoot fine even if they are kind of ugly.
But the 22-250 has a bit of taper, and if you have to FL size them, that dent you have will move up into the shoulder/neck junction and might be an issue.
It won't move much, but it will move -- by then, I would guess that the body of the case is showing the stretch at the base.
So -- if you want, shoot and monitor. If not -- chuck it....it's just one case that doesn't meet your standards.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you clean soot off the area where it's dented, or was it squeaking clean as in the pic?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by mathman

That was my first thought as well.

I've got a couple of boxes of .270 WSM factory loads and the shoulders on about half the cases look worse than the one in the original post.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Did you clean soot off the area where it's dented, or was it squeaking clean as in the pic?

I believe I did wipe it off with a dry rag, but that was about it. I don't get a lot of soot seeping to the shoulder with this rifle. I had a 7-08 that was another story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason I ask is that I have seen brass, usually well sooted in the neck/shoulder area, which I suspect didn't seal well right away so there was high pressure gas both inside the case as well as a very small amount outside the case around the shoulder. Obviously, if that high pressure gas is trapped even momentarily after the bullet exits the muzzle, the pressure inside the case can drop more rapidly while the high pressure gas is still trapped very briefly outside. Even a tiny volume of high pressure gas can increase greatly in volume and could cause a crease or dent like you see there. I would expect that there would be some soot thereabout however.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/21/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
NTG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Good point. Hadn't thought of that possible situation.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have two cases that are factory new that look just like the one in the OP. One is a R-P 7 Mag and the other is a Winchester nickel .223.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple pieces of RP 270 Win brass that I have reformed to 256 Newton that have a very similar dent in the same location. I believe that my dents were caused by too much lube.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd throw it away if it were mine.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd throw it away if it were mine.

The defect is small enough I wouldn't toss it.

It the fold went all the way through the brass, that would be different.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

250 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 33 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,550
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.