Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a new reloader as of christmas day and I got a RCBS 2-die set with the rest of the reloading equipment... Is this all I need to reload? Do I need to buy more dies? maybe a 3-die set or a special singular die?

thanks in advance

Brett
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Typical rifle sets are two dies- sizer/decapper and seater. Pistol usually has three-sizer/deprimer, neck expander, and seater/crimper. Other specialty dies are available, but are usually not needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, for a bottle neck rifle chambering all you need is the 2 die set. I assume you have the shellholder and some way to lube cases?

There are different sizing techniques and more specialized dies which you may want to investigate later but for now that 2 die set is fine. Work with that basic setup and don't worry about the other stuff until you have a good foundation with those. But beware, the hobby can suck you in and then the sky's the limit! wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys, that's what i've read/heard about reloading Jim. Yes I have everything but the danged shell holder. Got my Rockchucker Kit all set up and ready to go but was lacking the shell holder, so now I gotta sit and look at my 55 nbt's and benchmark powder until I get one (grrr) lol. oh i'll be reloading for a .223 mainly.

Brett
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you have RCBS dies, I would suggest NOT using the Hornady case lube spray. Maybe I've just been snake bit with this combination, but I've managed to stick every case I've tried in several different dies. Seems to work well for nearly every other die set, but not for the RCBS dies. The good news is that every reloader ought to have the RCBS lube pad and lube anyway.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
FWIW - take the short amount of time it takes to completely clean both dies, inside and out. Many just jump right into resizin' and bullet seatin'......not so good. Lots of machining took place to manufacture those dies and with that, metal filings remain.

Startin' out clean is never a bad idea.

Good luck Brett and enjoy your new hobby.....smile.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably the biggest FL sizing mistake is using too much lube....or too little...try some Imperial die wax to lube the cases...and use sparingly...neck or collet dies elimanate the use of lubes...if you're using a the ammo in a bolt rifle and not interchanging the ammo in a different rifle...although dry powder mica is still suggested in neck sizing..another suggestion is to purchase a 'stuck case' removal tool set for $15 or so...even seasoned reloaders will use this tool on occasions...enjoy your new hobby...its fun to shoot your own tailored ammo..I started hand loading in 1973.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
After you clean your dies with a good solvent, pre-lube the sizing die with the lube of your choice. Q-tip with a small amount of lube rubed inside the base of the die.Rick.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment, you have, is the reloading manual. Read it twice. Then ask questions.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don't have a heart attack if you ruin a couple of cases at first. Brass deforms easily. I've crunched a few over the years when I didn't have my dies set up right.

Loading is a hoot. Enjoy!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What? You don't like Hornady One Shot, Huntset? I have mostly RCBS dies and even when sizing manglun cases I haven't had sticking issues at all with One Shot. Spray once, shake the pan, spray again and go.
That said, I've also developed a "feel" for case entry and have "caught" myself a few times, stopping before it's too late. For those cases, I have a bottle of the RCBS goo and finger that onto the case body.
Brett, I would most definitely suggest you ask around if you have any friends that reload to help you through the first batch. Make sure it's a relatively smart friend.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love Hornady One Shot. I use it for every other die set I have and it works wonderfully. Its a great lubricant for your presses too. But, I've managed to stick enough cases with the combination of One Shot and RCBS dies that it appears to be more than coincidence. I've just gone to the RCBS case pad and water soluble gel for RCBS dies. Its really not any more trouble than the spray and a tiny bit goes a long way. I've NEVER stuck a case going this route.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ran out of One Shot and had to buy a can of Lyman's Qwik Spray case lube. It was terrible! As soon as I found some more One Shot I tossed the Lyman junk. The difference was very noticeable - I almost stuck a few cases with the Lyman stuff....

Last edited by DoubleRadius; 12/31/09.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get some Imperial Sizing Wax. A little goes a long way.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amen!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.