Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I just reloaded my first box of 12ga shells last week, so novice is a slightly higher title than I deserve. I got into reloading shoygun shell by chance. I was at an estate sale and scored a press and all the supplies I needed for shotgun/rifle that I needed for 300 bucks.

My question is- Why doesnt anybody reload shells with multiple shot values? As in; 33% shot size 2, 33% shot size 3, 33% shot size 4? It seems like it would be a better all around shell. Good for teal buzzin by at 60mph and good for skyskrapin geese. I cant find anything in the reloading books that tells me not to. It would make a good bear defense load also. Some 000 buck, and bb shot. Hit vitals and blind him.

Before I fire these test shells is there anybody who thinks I shouldnt? The load weights are all correct.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Remington loaded duplex loads for a while. Maybe still do but haven't seen any locally in a while.

As long as the shot weight is
correct, shouldn't be a problem. Don't mix the shot together, layer them. Small shot on bottom, largest in top.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I loaded some for geese. Pattern them.
When you see what the pattern is you may answer your question.
Some reloaders swear that a layer of big pellets on top hold a pattern tighter down range. I have not seen this effect.
I do feel that a really even pattern is more desirable in one shot size, but my hunting is less opportunistic than yours. We tend to go to a spot and are looking for a specific target because that is what is us. there.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
on flying birds shot stringing might affect the hits on game. Big pellets are less affected by air drag, and the multiple sizes are likely to string out according to size. On a crossing shot a long shot string makes it easy to hit with one or two pellets, but clean kills are not as likely.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have never tried mixing shot..a pal did when he came home to find some of the local kids dumped his bags of shot on the the floor of his reloading room..What a mess..He scraped all the shot up he could and dumped it in coffee cans..Then he just loaded it..I know he had 2's, 4's, maybe 5's and lots of 6's..For several years his reloads gave the wad, powder, and various shot for shot size..
On a more serious note, Major Charles Askins used to load 10 and 12 bore shells with heavy shot in the center and that was cushioned by a layer of shot on the out side..I think he slid a 28 ga. hull cut off in the case, loaded it with heavy shot, then filled in the sides with finer shot..He reported it worked very well..Obviously he had lots of time to experiment, and this was before shot cups..I don;t think we would want to try it..but a bit of history...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.