Print Thread
Hop To
C
cra1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
never have shot any steel shot but me and my son got invited to go duck hunting, my question is can my son shoot steel through his 410, its a old h and r break open, its got a full choke barrel but no screw in choke. just didnt know if he would be able to and figured someone on here might know, thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's so much wrong with this, on so many levels.

First of all, a .410 is about the worst choice for a newbie to use for waterfowling. One of my buddies uses a .410 for an occasional stunt shot, but he's a duck gunner with 50 years experience and even then a few birds die hard deaths.

Without seeing the 'old h and r break open', it's impossible to tell if it's up to being able to handle heavy loads. Is it even chambered for 3" shells?

Steel shot and full chokes don't mix, in any gauge. Period. (Issues with poor patterns and possible damage to the barrel.) If you persist in this tom foolery, at least get some soft non-toxic shot, either in the form of factory loads or handloads.

I get the feeling this was a 'trolled' posting purely to get a rise out of somebody. If so, I rose to bait like a fat brown trout to a Royal Coachman!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do not, I repeat, Do Not shoot steel in that old H&R.

My brother ruined my 12 gauge full choke Ithaca 37 that way. It at first stretched out the choke. It also stressed the muzzle to where it eventually developed a half inch split while shooting lead.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
C
cra1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
thanks asphaltcowboy, thats what i figured but just wanted to make sure.

gnoahhh, sorry you figure theres so much wrong with asking a question. the reason i asked was i didnt know, i was not trolling or whatever. i figure a 410 is the poorest choice but he's 5 and thats what he shoots around the house, i dont figure he going to hit one if i give him my benelli, but he's going with us and if he could shoot steel then i would let him, i was not concerned with a pattern but more letting him have a good time along with us, he wouldnt know if it was him or someone else that killed the bird, he's been wanting to go duck hunting for three yrs now, just wanting him to have fun, thanks for trying to make a guy feel like a idiot

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, it's ok to let a 5 year old stick a few BB's out of an inadequate gun into a few birds so they can fly off and die a lingering death? Wanting to introduce your son to the sport is an admirable thing, but how about waiting until he can handle a proper gun? The ducks will still be there a few years down the road, and hopefully so will he. Rushing to fulfill a dream is no excuse for unethical behavior. Sorry if you're offended, that wasn't my intent.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
At 5 years old, you're much better off having him shoot light, lead loads at hand-thrown clay birds so he can get used to the gun, the target etc., and you'll not have to chase wounded birds..

IMHO, he's too young even for a .410. Start him out with a .22 single-shot until he gets older, wiser, and has some experience..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
cra1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
he's been on a 22 for 2 yrs and the 410 for a yr and half, he's been hunting for the last two yrs and going with me for three, thanks for the help guys

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Steel shot and full chokes don't mix, in any gauge. Period.
factory full choke barrel or screw in full choke? confused

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
gnoahhh I saw this last night. I started to respond pretty much in the same way you did. Then I thought you know this is someone trying to get a rise out of someone. So I passed. Nothing and I repeat nothing you wrote you should be apologizing for. You nailed it on both your post.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Seminole39

Both. Aside from the potential for injuring the barrel, a full choke and steel shot will 95 times out of 100 give you a raggedy pattern. Open up the choke for steel shot use- IC to Light Mod is my recommendation which will generally give you uniform well filled out patterns.

When steel shot was first mandated I insisted on proving the 'experts' wrong about full chokes, and got bit on the arse for it. Lessons learned the hard way 30-odd years ago.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Seminole39

Both. Aside from the potential for injuring the barrel, a full choke and steel shot will 95 times out of 100 give you a raggedy pattern. Open up the choke for steel shot use- IC to Light Mod is my recommendation which will generally give you uniform well filled out patterns.

+1

I shoot a pre war 16g A5 so I acquired another barrel for it to have tubes installed. In order to shoot steel in that barrel I bought an extended steel tube that puts the choke (lt mod) out past the end of the barrel.
Even steel compatible tubes can stretch with moderate to heavy use and seize the tube in the barrel. These can be a moderate PITA to remove, or they can be a major chore.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So we have a five year old with two years of shooting and hunting experience going on a duck hunt with a .410 shotgun. The question is about using steel shot which seems to be available only in #6 or #7 and intended for upland use.

Does this seem a little weird or is it just me?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
things have changed in 30-odd years

2 or more cases a year of 3 1/2" #2 steel through a Remmy 453 with a Kicks full choke for the past 6 years

no problems whatsoever other than dead ducks and geese, but I'm no expert

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting. Is the choke a true full choke (ie: as if for lead, a 'standard' full choke constriction), or is it a choke intended to give 'full' patterns with steel shot? One of my goose hunting buddies uses a choke in his Benelli for his full patterns with steel, but upon micing it we found that it was actually a Light Mod (as if for lead) choke constriction. Either way, it's results that count.

I gave up on steel shot a few years ago coincidentally when I switched to using classic doubles exclusively, and now use Nice Shot and/or Bismuth (all 2 3/4" loads). Easier on the shoulder and the ducks and geese are just as dead. Pricier, indeed, but when factored in with all the other costs inherent to waterfowling, not so bad.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sounds like eating tawlk some dry rice and a beer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.