Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This is a legitimate question.
Let me preface it with some information: This little gun is rough! It has been carried around in a rancher's p/u under the seat. It doesn't have any bluing left. The original buttstock has been replaced with an after market piece of walnut that was painted brown. The barrels/bores are suprisingly good and the action snaps up tight. It is a good canidate for major re-furbish job.

The old boy who owns it said he wants to sell it and said he would like $500. I told him I'd like to buy it and offered him $200. He wants to think about it and will get ahold of me on Saturday when he comes thru town.

I don't want to take advantage of the old guy - he has had a tough time physically and financially the last few years. Anybody have any ideas on a fair price?

Thanks for any and all help!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With out seeing it I think you're pretty dam close on the price. But .410 SxS's can bring some good money. Did you check gunbroker?

Last edited by passport; 07/01/10.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
passport,
I have checked all of the usual internet line-ups and most shown are in a much better state of being...90%-99%. The asking price for same is $700-$750.

I think that $200 is pretty close on this one. I'll gladly do another $50 for him, but that is about it.

Thank you for your help!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get her done big John and report back with pics.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If it's as rough as you describe, I think your offer is fair. It would take a major restoration to get it back right, and probably cost more than it would bring restored. But it's a good project gun, anyway.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love a good project gun. Im in the process of re doing a Cresent Arms Quail in .410, nice little gun that had the stock broken into 3 chunks when I got it. Got the stock together, actually coming out pretty well, and it should be a nice little user when done. Dont shy away from the project.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The earlier the better with 311s--the last ones they did were pretty rough right from the factory (311H and later). Many shot to two different points of impact (barrels cockeyed; not regulated at all). Earlier ones (you can usually go by whether they had an original walnut stock) were fitted and finished better.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I missed meeting with the old guy - he was coming down for 4th of July parade and I didn't see him. I drove by all of the bars he usually frequents... not there. I hope he is alright.

Mike, this is an early 311. The fore arm is plastic. My father bought a 12ga like that right after WWII when there was no walnut available. Dad heated the stock with a heat lamp and twisted it until it sorta fit him and he took a piece of heavy copper wire and soldered it onto the barrel rib - he said it helped him on flushing pheasants. Dad had a love/hate affair with that gun until he found a good Winchester '97 in the mid-1950's.

Thanks again for the help and the encouragement!

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I remember those old plastic stocks. The 311s of that vintage are better made than the later ones, plastic or no. I think you can find a walnut replacement forend for the plastic from Boyds or another wood merchant. Usually they take a little fitting, but nothing much if you go slow. Of course you need to mention that it's a .410 since those forends are very different in dimension from the larger guages. Getting rid of the copper wire without un-soldering the rib from the barrels might be a hassle; maybe you should leave it there for "auld lang syne."

(Most people have a love-hate relationship with .410s when it comes to pheasants: you LOVE to carry that featherweight peashooter all day, but you HATE the fact that it really ain't enough gun for phez, especially in the late season....).

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just a little info. About two months ago I bought this 311A (1962) 410 for $350. I think I got a great deal. It's condition is about new and has walnut stocks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.