Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a new bino for hunting. I don't abuse em but I'm very hard on em and use em hard nearly 4 months out of the year including travel. Alaska, Yukon, elk & deer hunting in lower 48...you name it I put them thru their paces. I burned up a set of 10x42 SLC a few years ago and my Zeiss 10x42s are now down for the 2nd time for a new twist on eye cup???? Can anyone say how the Leupolds hold up under hard use. Any others built like a tank with premium grade optics?? Thanks, 163bc

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I had to choose between the models you listed in your title (ignoring the small, different optical "flavors" of each) and had to pick just on durability then I would probably choose the Leicas...either the Trinovids (if you can still find them) or the Ultravids. I have limited experience with them personally but everything I have read both in terms of technical specs and from user experiences seems to suggest that they get the nod for overall highest durability.

The Meopta Meostars would be my second choice in this area.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Frank
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks FrankD. I like the Leicas a bunch and plan to check em out. Would like to hear from others about their real world everyday expierences with these binos. Thanks, Sam

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I consider the trinovid (mine is 10x42) to be the toughest bino ever made. That being said, if you tore up an SLC, which I consider to be tough also, you could possibly do the same thing to the Leica.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
John Barsness has commented favorably on the toughness of the Cabela's Euro which is a rebadged Meopta.

The Meopta bino I have has that built like a tank feel, but I haven't really tested that yet.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have been using my Leica binoculars for over twenty years on hunt in Africa, Alaska, Canada, Mexico and all the western states and they work exactly the same today as the day I bought them.

Leica's are built like a tank... I saw a cut away of a 10x42 Ultravid at the SLC Sportsman�s Expo last January. Very impressive... no glue or plastic, all brass, stainless steel, aluminum, magnesium and glass. I could see why mine have held up so well under years of hard use. I just bought a 8x56 Geovid and I have no worries about its durability. Ovis_Chaser

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd talk to either Phil Shoemaker (458 Win) or Barsness (Mule Deer) about this. Maybe they can give you some comparisons between them. I know Phil's guides are very tough on binoculars as is the climate where their hunting takes place. I understand Barsness left his latest with him to see how it will take the "alaskan guide test." E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my guides just returned his Zeiss 10x42's for the second time due to fogging problems and need of a third set of eyecups. He has seen the Leupold GR's that two of my other guides own and is looking at them for a replacement due to their reputation and warrantee. That is probably not a bad idea as he also is hard on equipment.
Leica's however are tough binos and I can't think of any that I know for sure are tougher.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Phil,

Have any Meoptas been through your camp?

mathman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I had may Zeiss Victory 8x42 fog up on me in AK 07. Bought in 05. Was told - they fix it if I pay. Not a warranty issue. Their tests show, they claim, the glas was dropped. Well, hell I told them - its is not a closet hanger, it gets used 200 + days a year - and you all know, guides gear is used always last, to fill the cracks.

No avail - so I am through. So far the Minox I bought to replace them are holding up well.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have looked at the Meopta binos and they appear well made - but so do most of the other top brands. They are a little heavy, but so are GR's and SLC's and usually in my experience weight translates to durability.
I have not had any in camp.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used the Cabela's Meoptas hard for several years now, in varying conditions from very dusty to very wet, and haven't been gentle. They have held up extremely well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
For got to add that so far my experience with the Leupold GR's has been very favorable. They are in the same class optically as the Meoptas, in my experience, and also quite tough. I got one for a PH friend in South Africa a couple of years ago who is not particularly easy on his stuff, and he is still delighted with them after two safari seasons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That is what I was hoping to hear about those GR's. I've yet to buy some higher end stuff and I really wanted to give my cash to Leupold.

I had to send my 8x42 Olympics back to them after an eyecup broke. I just put a note in the box that stated when our opener was. Four days later, a new bino was on my doorstep.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be hard to imagine a more robust bino than a Leica Trinovid. Best of all the optics are great too. I won't sell mine. The newer models of Zeiss, Leica and Swaro might have a little superior optics but not enough. For "me" they also just fit. Hard to describe.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got a set of 5 year old SLCs from a buddy today and took em out for a spin. Another hunt buddy had his ELs so I compared em side by side. Both were 10x42s and I liked the SLC more just in the way they handled. The ELs are too light and bouncy for me. SLCs optically were every bit as good as the ELs and possibly a little bit better. I gotta say the SLCs look and feel plenty stout BUT I was a little dissapointed in the overall clarity and dusk performance as compared to my Zeiss FLs. The Zeiss are noticeably brighter and get me a few more minutes hunting at dusk. Might just be what I am used to but... I'm gonna have to go with the SLCs for now because deer season is in full swing and the Zeiss ain't doing me any good with a busted eye cups!!!!! Gettin tired of sending em back. Hoping the SLCs will be up to the task!! Thanks for all the comments!! 163bc

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have used my 8x32 Leica trinovids for about 15 years with no problems at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 10x42 Ultravid Leica's have proven to be tough as nails over the last 6 years. They have been on numerous turkey hunts with belly crawls through the brush, mud, rock and other stuff. THey have been to the NWT on a Dall hunt, they have been to Africa and about everywhere in between. Not a scratch on them. No fogging no nothing. Sub zero temps to 110F with Missisippi heat and humidity. I would not trade them for any others on the market.
Lee

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been running my 8X42 Leica Trinovids for 10 or more years and they are still as bright and sharp as the day I bought them. They have been from dry and dusty Montana and South Dakota to wet and nasty Alaska and hundreds of days in MN. My Dad has the same binos and has used them for the past 15+ years and has not had any problems either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MuleDeer: Can you offer an opinion on PentaxDCF ED 8x43s per questions above. Are these newer versions of the DCF SP 8x43? Thanks much. Tom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.