Hop To
J
Jon2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Dear all

Just looking for some feedback from other members as I think my NXS is faulty.

Basically I have had a 3.5-15x50 model on my custom 7mm Rem Mag which is a consistent sub half performer.

I went to my range this afternoon and the first group of 5 shots was strung vertically in what was approx a 3 inch group.

I then shot another 5 shot string with another load which again consistently hovers around the .5 mark and this went about 1.5 inches.

I then took the mod off and put a 3 shot group in with the same and this went about 5 inches! Again strung vertically.

I then checked all the obvious things and rings and bases were 100% as were the bottom metal screws.

So to complete the diagnosis I am going to put a spare S&B on board but won't be able to do this for perhaps a week or so.

I didn't do a box test of any kind but rather than do that I am hoping my S&B will diagnose immediately.

So basically my question is - has anyone out there had an NXS fail on them in any way?

All feed back gratefully recieved.

Thanks

JB

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have at least a half dozen of the damn tank heavy NXS's only one has ever failed, but it was on a huge magnum with a very effective slab break. Mechanical stuff breaks no matter how bullet proof it is constructed.

BTW you mightcheck your mounting system and rule out the problem by trying a known good scope.

Last edited by EddyBo; 02/19/11.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi JB,

I've got two NXS's that have lived their entire lives on magnums. One of them is a 3.5-15x50. No issues to date.

I did have an odd issue once with a new bullet load I was working up. IIRC it had to do with the sun facing me and me holding my head differently on the rifle.

All my shots were grouping well, they were just high or to the right (can't quite remember which it was). Next time without the sun glaring in my eyes, same load, back to tight groups in the right place.

Not sure if that helps or not, although come spring I think I'll try to replicate the conditions and work through it.

As another poster mentioned I would also check the tightness of your mounts.

Good luck with that...

J
Jon2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks fellas

Yes mounts and bedding and bottom metal screws are A ok.

I will test by putting on my Schmidt this week. I have posted the same question on other forums and 4 guys have come back to say they have had their NXS's fail on them mechanically. I have had 2 NXS's and the first one we ran over with a car (by mistake) and it still held zero but ironically this one (the one in question) has been treated with kid gloves and I have to say at this point I can't see what else it can be other than some kind of internal failure.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the replies.

Cheers

JB

Last edited by Jon2; 02/20/11.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to use a Leupold as a barometer to make sure everything is OK with the rifle before blaming it on the NF.

Thank me later.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Silly question, but did you adjust the parallax for the range you were shooting?
NF scopes are extremely well designed and constructed, but anything made by man can have a problem.
NF CS is awesome, I had a reticle change done in a week counting cross country shipping.

J
Jon2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks FVA.

I havent got a Leupold but i know my Schmidt is in good working order so all should be fine using that.

SPR1 not a silly question at all - good point but yes I made sure the para was 100%. I know what you mean and I make sure the para adjustment is sorted and then I always keep it at the same setting at 100 yards.

Thanks

jon

J
Jon2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The reason I think it is related to the scope is for a few reasons but the main one being this.

With the mod on i.e. minimal recoil, the groups were bad but not as bad as when I took the mod off and that was when the 5 incher occured so the more recoil the bigger the group.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting the S&B on to check is the next step. I've owned two NXS' with no trouble but that means nothing. Scopes will fail from time to time.

J
Jon2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Bit of an update gents for any interested parties.

Just got back from testing with the Schmidt on board as per the plan.

Basically I put in a 3 and a 5 shot group with the load that went 5 inches (all at 100 yards by the way). The 3 shot went just sub half and the 5 shot was late 5's possibly in the 6's.

I am convinced now that it is an issue with the scope.

I am just about to contact NF direct to see what they suggest as the next course of action.

Will keep this thread updated throughout with progress reports etc.

Thanks

JB

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.