Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Coach_W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's yalls thoughts on mounting systems?

Im not talking the cheap aluminum crap people sell.

But Im willing to pay some big bucks for some no hassle durable rings. Just in general what brands do yall depend on? And what are some to stay away from?

I currently use millet and leupold rings. I see rings that are 100-200 bucks are they worth it?

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For a hunting gun, I dont see the need for anything other than Talley LWs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Talley Steel Rings . I have had an issue with a set of rings I bought but they are pretty much indestructible.

Conetrol and S&K would be good safe bets as well..All 3 are pretty much install on gun and not worry about anymore

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Leupold Dual Dovetails.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&K

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another vote for the simplicity and looks of the S&K mounts

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never had a problem with Weaver original rings,always thought they were plenty durable.
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Coach_W

But Im willing to pay some big bucks for some no hassle durable rings. Just in general what brands do yall depend on? And what are some to stay away from?

I currently use millet and leupold rings. I see rings that are 100-200 bucks are they worth it?

Is your scope also made of steel, Coach? Just sayin', if the scope is aluminum, well, maybe it don't matter....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Warne non detatchable. Simple, strong as heck. Good stuff.

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris Zee rings have worked well for me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I currently use millet and leupold rings.

Both are weak.....

Talley LWs put less stress on the base screws. There is no reason to think steel are better. I also use Burris Zees.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Dang man, they are all pretty much bullet proof now days if they are made by a reputable company. If you want tough as nails and fairly inexpensive, you can go with the weaver mounts and rings or the leupold QRW or PRW's, Talley steel mounts and rings, Warne steel mounts and rings, TPS, Leupold DD's, S&K, Conetrol's. I use most styles and it really comes down to personal taste or what is asthetically pleasong to YOU:

I use the leupold QRW mounts and Rings (Quick detachable QRW) on my 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]

Talley steel mounts and rings on my pre 64 fwt's (308 and 30-06), 30-06 pictured:
[Linked Image]

Leupold Dual dovetails mounts and rings on my 300 wsm:
[Linked Image]

I run steel TPS on my FN PBR XP, which are excellent rings and tough as an anvil:
[Linked Image]

Warne steel rings on my CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm:
[Linked Image]

.......but like one poster said, the majority of the time you can get by with the talley lightweights and call it a day. I use the hell out of the talley lightweight's (aluminum) and I can attest to their strength...Some guys don't like the looks of them but they have kind of grown on me and some of my rifles grin:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-52.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007-29.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, the very strongest system is INTEGRAL bases that are one with the reciever and then good quality steel 4 screw rings. The only rifles that come that way as far as I know are CZ, Ruger and Sako/Tikka. My own serious use DGR is a much modified CZ with Warne QD steel rings.

IF one does not have the luxury of integral bases, I personally consider the Burris or Leopold Dual Dovetail steel bases and rings to be the strongest. Whether one NEEDS that level of strength is a matter of some debate, but I like them. I use this system on my other big and serious rife, a full on custom in my own wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Coach_W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm using the leupold dd's on almost everything these days... And I do like them. Just wondering if there is something better out there.

I run leupolds PRW's on a couple Of AR's and while they work well and continue hold zero I'm less than impressed with the flimsy piece that tightens onto the rail... It can and will bend in the middle as you torque down the screws.

As far as Aluminum rings go I've had nothing but horrible luck with them. The threads strip easier, they bend when torqued... I don't even run them on rim fires.

I torque to spec, and expect the rings to hold up when I do... Aluminum is better used for beer cans. smile personal opinion.

I am going to look into the S&K mounts now.

Any body use the one piece designs like DNZ?

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have used aluminum rings and bases for a long time, and have never had any of the issues you describe. I think the key is to use quality aluminum parts, like Talley. Even my Burris Extreme aluminum rings on my precision 308 stick have held up fine to some pretty brutal abuse..and they are bolted to a Larue base, which is aluminum as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well for durability I would almost have to put in a vote for the plain jane old style weaver rings. One set I have must be 30 years old. I mostly use zee rings now but in truth there are a lot of good base and ring setups out there. My thought is most are much more durable than the scope they are attached to so ring failure is almost a non existent issue in my mind. Best on the other hand is a somewhat nebulous word that can mean different things to different people.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TPS, Seekins, and Badger rings and mounts are excellent if you want to spend the money on them. If I was building a gun that my life would depend on I would use one of those.

However you can honestly get by just fine with cheaper mounts and rings for the majority of hunting situations. I also am not a fan of aluminum mounts at all and I am not really sure why so many people like the Talley LW's so much. If you do run those make sure you lap them as they will need it.

My personal favorite setup under $100 is a quality Weaver base and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings. They eliminate the need for lapping, eliminate ring marks, and are very durable. However traditional Weaver steel rings are pretty good as well as are the Leupold Dual Dovetail setups. I would stay away from the Leupold setups with the windage adjustment on the rear though as they tend to be weak.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I also am not a fan of aluminum mounts at all and I am not really sure why so many people like the Talley LW's so much. If you do run those make sure you lap them as they will need it.

Because they are light and the work.......I've never lapped a set.....zero problems.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think nearly all the rings mentioned are pretty good and I have used many of them over time. Aluminum or not, talley lightweights are good and I didn't see them mentioned, but the DNZ ring set up has been pretty good for me as well.

For a weaver base ring.. the Burris signatures are nice, no scope markes and you can get pretty close to a zero without using the scope adjustments.

Personally getting them on straight, locktited where required, and set to proper torque is really the key to most ring/base systems.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a Near Scope mount...I havent used but personally but have been tempted to try a few times

[Linked Image]

Rob
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.