Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have a few encore barrels and I am thinking of using one style base on all the barrels and using one set of quick detach rings to switch a Nikon between them. Wondering if anyone else is using a setup like this and/or what the encore users think of this idea and recommendations of which brand to go with.

thanks in advance for your input.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like the Warne bases and rings for the Encore for a couple of reasons. But the main reason is that the Warne is longer than the Leupold, and most others. I also like the Warne base because you can get it in solid steel. The Warne uses the Picatinney style rings. So you could easily use a removable ring like the Leupold QR rings, or others. Just be sure to loosen the rings before you take it off a rifle if you are planning on putting it onto another rifle. No need to loosen rings if you are going to put it back on the same rifle. Below is a comparison of the Warne to the Leupold. Tom.

[Linked Image]

West By God Virginia
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have the Leupold QR base and rings on mine. Rock solid, easy to use, and I've never had a problem holding zero.

Elkslayer53
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Match Grade Machine base. Leupold PRW rings.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Weaver bases are cheap & lightweight. They'll hold as solid as any bases out there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have only had my encore for a year but have talley one piece on it. Seems to work great for my 3-9x40 nikon monarch. Although I would like to try the QR rings on day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried several through the years. Talley mounts are deserving of their good reputation as for quality. For the Encore, I find they don't always afford enough mounting flexibility to get appropriate eye relief with all scopes.

I mostly use Match Grade Machine's mount. If you prefer steel, it's the way to go in my mind. It's has an hourglass shape thereby reducing weight. (I find the Warne base needlessly heavy.) It's great quality and has worked with all scopes I've tried. You might also look at Picatinny-style rail offered by Evolution Gun Works. Made of aluminum, it's plenty strong, very light and expertly machined.

As for rings, I've had great success with Tactical Precision Systems "W" rings on the MGM bases and their regular Pictinny rings on the EGW base. I use the aluminum versions in both cases. The TPS rings are some of the very best for the money. I've found their medium height rings perfect for the high comb Encore stocks. They still afford a good cheek weld yet are high enough for easy access to the hammer.

Last edited by BlueK9; 05/15/10.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Watch this video link then you will understand why I like the Warne mounting system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask&feature=player_embedded

I am not knocking the MGM base because it also is a good base. However I like the heavier base because of what a scope does during recoil. The biggest problem with mounting a scope on the Encore is that the mount holes are not far enough apart. That is an inherent problem of the Encore, because of the action, and can not be changed. So basically you need a base that allows for the rings to be as far apart as possible. When you use shorter bases like the Leupold that puts more scope weight on the outsides of the rings. And that will accentuate the flexing of the scope like you see in the video. Or in other words, the farther apart the rings, the stronger the scopes setup. That is why I dislike the Talley's. They are too short(along with the Leupold in the picture I posted above). When you add an AO to your scope you are putting even more weight outside the rings, which is one good reason for side focus that is not talked about alot. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 05/15/10.

West By God Virginia

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.