Print Thread
Hop To
B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm thinking about selling my Vari X III and was wondering how much would it go for on eBay? It's the matte finish if that matters and the standard duplex recticle, and I purchased it in 1993. It's been on my Browning 270 ever since and hasn't really seen that much use. It's in perfect condition, and has always had the Butler Creek scope covers in place.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Bushnell 4200 since there are some good sales going on right now and I want the Rain Guard.

I know I could look on eBay and see what they're going for but I'm at work right now and don't have time to sort through all the listings. Thought someone here might be able to give me a quick answer.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You are a victim of advertising. Stop drop and roll. The scope you have on your rifle will last a lifetime and has the best possible warranty you will ever know.

Bushnell is hen schitt on a pump handle comparatively!!!!

You are at least right about one thing, you will sell your perfect rifle scope for more on ebay.....roughly $325.00 possibly more if someone doesnt' understand it's not a VXIII, which despite the best of communication, there is always one.

Get off the internet and go shoot your gun!!!

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the feedback. You know what's funny is I bought the scope new in 1993 for $299.

I probably will end up keeping it. Just had this crazy idea and it won't take much to talk me out of it!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you a fan of the long and noncritical Leupold eye relief? If you are, a Bushnell could be a letdown in that department.

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Are you a fan of the long and noncritical Leupold eye relief? If you are, a Bushnell could be a letdown in that department.

Yes! The eye relief is what I love about it. But, I also live in western Washington and hunt almost every day in the rain. Even with scope covers it is not easy sometimes keeping the lenses fog and water free.

Seems the answer to that problem is the Rain Guard that the Bushnell scopes offer.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
bdan68,

FWIW- A few weeks ago I sold two Leupold Vari X III scopes, one a 2.5-8x36, the other a 1.5-5x20, on ebay. Both sold for right at $300, plus shipping.

The 1.5-5 had never been used by me, the 2.5-8 had been on my .257 Wby. for 25 years or so. It was in great shape, but I sold it because it was not as bright as the newer models, and I wanted a higher mag. scope.

Hope that helps-

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300-325.00

Get some butler creek flip ups, use binocs for glassing.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That does help. Thanks. So it seems that if I decide to, I could sell the Leupold, and with the money I could buy a Bushnell 4200 and have $100 left over.

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cal74
300-325.00

Get some butler creek flip ups, use binocs for glassing.

I have the Butler Creeks, and use binoculars. The problem is, if it's raining and I flip up the scope covers once to get ready for a possible shot opportunity that never happens, the lenses tend to fog up (on the outside) for the rest of the day. At least until I am able to somehow dry the lenses off completely. I know it may not sound like that big of a deal but if you've ever hunted where it rains 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you'd understand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted in the rain and some nasty weather, but I have to admit I've never hunted in conditions like that.

Good Luck

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you sell it for a bushnell you will regret it. I would keep that sucker! But that's just my opinion.

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by boxelderhunt
If you sell it for a bushnell you will regret it. I would keep that sucker! But that's just my opinion.

I'm thinking you're probably right- I think I will buy the Bushnell and MAYBE swap it with the Leupold for a while to try it out, but I'll keep the Leupold so I can switch it back later. Then I can throw the Bushnell on .222 that I have that is in need of a scope anyway.

Basically I think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy the 4200 since it can be had for $100 less than the normal price of $299. It's supposed to be a hell of a scope for $199...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds like a good idea to me! Let us know how you like the 4200. I have never been a bushnell fan but would be curious to know how it turns out for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

+1

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bdan68: I have Hunted all around western Washington with all manner of Leupold scopes - including 3.5x10's and sometimes in the vicinity of Rochester!
I have an old friend by the name of John Golman that may live near you - he is a long time Winchester trading buddy of mine. He lives between Rochester and Oakville.
I never had foggy lenses even on the worst of rain, snowy and cold days.
The correct and continued use of effective scope covers will prevent any detrimental condition from interferring with your Hunting.
I suggest keeping the Leupold and using better and continued lense protection.
The fog and water you are referring to no doubt is on the outside of the lenses - IS it not?
I ask because it is a Leupold scope and I personally have seen both water drops AND fog on the inside of lesser scopes lenses!
Never, "inside" a Leupold!
And this last - is the old BURGERMASTER still there near Rochester but back at the exit from I-5?
I always used to stop there for Burgers or coffee.
Haven't been down that way for 15 years or so.
Stay dry out there!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to interrupt all the Leupold love here but the Elite 4200 is a better scope optically than the Vari XIII and the Rainguard works as advertised.

As to the supposed eye relief criticality of the 4200, I have to ask how many people saying this have actually used one?

I prefer the constant eye relief of the 4200 over the variable eye relief of the Vari XIII's I've used. Set the scope up correctly on your rifle and the eye relief will be perfect from the top to the bottom of the magnification range.

Fact is, your Leupold is a good scope and will never not be worth what it is right now. Keep it but give the 4200 a try and I think you'll be very impressed with all aspects of it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
VarmintGuy, There is a burger joint just on the west side of Rochester as your going out of town on highway 12- it is called "Eagans Big T". That may be the one you're thinking of, I'm not sure. Have lived here since 1998. And about the fogging on my Leupold, no it is not on the inside. What happens sometimes is I may flip open the covers when I see a deer, and it ends up being a doe, or it's a buck but it's gone before I can get a shot off. So I put the scope covers down again to keep the lenses dry, right? Well later I see a deer and flip the covers up to shoot, and the lenses are fogged up on the outside, just from the little bit of moisture that got in previously.

nsaquam, thanks for the good report on the 4200. I'll be using it on one of my deer rifles, just not sure which one yet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The RainGuard does work and as mentioned the eye relief is constant on the 4200 no matter what power you are set on, unlike the Leupold that changes eye relief with power changes. On the other hand the eye-box of the 4200 is not as generous on the 4200 but I have never found it to be an issue either.

At the price the 4200 is selling for give it a try and keep your Leupold until you decide which you like the best and then either sell one of them, or better yet - buy another rifle to put on your extra scope.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.