Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So I'm really thinking about topping my new .30-06 with a Leupold FX-3 6x42mm. I had no idea how many folks seem to love this scope. I like the simplicity factor to it, and I hear they are VERY bright at low light.

Looking a Leupy's website, to get the standard duplex, you only have the choice of the gloss finish on the scope.

I want a matte black finish, so that leaves me with the choice of the heavy duplex, wide duplex, or LR duplex.

On the "heavy duplex" is the inner section of the crosshair just as fine as on the standard duplex? Meaning, are all things equal except the thickness of the outer crosshair?

If so, the heavy duplex seems like it would still work ok when shots got way out there.

The "wide duplex" and "long range duplex" seem as though they would be pretty hard to see in fading light and on a dark target like a black/brown hog.

Last, is the CDS the only distance shooting turret option for the FX-3? I think I would do just fine with the standard model, but just wondering about the CDS system as I've never used it.

Input and opinions on the 6x42 and the available recticles would be welcomed.

SCHOOLCRAFT

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would get the LR reticle for big game hunting. Unless you wanna shoot with more precision at say +450 yards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And you won't even notice the dots unless you are aiming with one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Heavy Duplex is heavier all the way around, though the middle crosshairs subtend an inch at 100 yards. This means 4" at 400, and the chest of most deer and pigs is considerably bigger than that.

I like the HD but some don't. My experience is that if you sight it in on a large enough aiming point (say a 3" diamond) at 100, it works real well on game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I see lots of folks getting that combo. 6x42 and LR recticle.

Is the LR recticle hard to see in super low light conditions compared to the standard duplex?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
SC,

Here's a 6x42 with a Post and Duplex reticle and M1 turret. I had to special order it from the custom shop. It's awesome, even shooting groups at the range.

If I didn't want to wait on the custom shop, I would go with the heavy duplex. They are also terrific.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also shoots groups okay.

[Linked Image]

This group isn't to prove anything about the rifle--it's no benchrest rig. All I'm saying is a 6x42 with a heavy duplex is a great hunting scope on a hunting rifle.

v/r
Joel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Think of it as a standard duplex with dots.

The dots are use-able in pretty low light.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had no trouble with the LR duplex during legal shooting hours. Top it with an M1 turret, and you're golden. I managed to put 4 consecutive shots on a 12" square plate at 1008 yards two days ago with the 6x42. The first 3 went into 7". That's more than good enough for me with a 6x scope on a 7lbs rifle. It's truly a great all-around utility scope that is capable of doing things usually reserved for specialty equipment.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Is the M1 turret a custom shop option?

I've never used ANY kind of turret before. I'm a little familiar with the CDS system.

How is the M1 different? Is it matched to a particular load like the CDS?

I read where the CDS requires a TINY allen wrench to make sure the dial stayed put, which bothers me a tad if needed while hunting.

Last edited by SCHOOLCRAFT; 01/07/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, the M1 is marked in MOA, not matched to a load, although you can get custom M1 dials marked in yards for a particular load.

I've had mine installed after the fact, but I believe it's an option from the custom shop, as well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M1 typically comes w 1/4 MOA clicks/marks.

Available via custom shop.

Re: HD - the ONE time I had a bad experience w/a 6x that I felt the scope had some downside....using a heavy duplex or Heavy post duplex, needless to say, I missed clean a doe at 300 yds or so, that presented an azz end shot.

Later, grunted a buck out and took it w/my 6.5x55 Classic at about 115 yds, spine shot, even shot it left handed off my knees.....

The reticle covered a good bit at that distance on that deer, no way knowing how big that deer was but an HD was not ideal.

I like the std duplex better all the way around, for MY style of hunting, but really like the #4 and post duplex given option.

No doubt a BOLD reticle is quick to paste on game, great at dawn/dusk, in fact flattened a small deer at DARK thirty around 30-40yds years back w/same combo. If the BULK of shots are under 200-250 I could use one, or if one wanted one for bear/hogs w/dark hides it would really stand out well.

Joelk, well executed rifle/set up, pm me sometime and we will go shooting.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
SCHOOLCRAFT, keep in mind you can order a scope direct from Leupold's custom shop if what you want isn't an over the counter item like Joel's scope. Ordering direct vs. buying a scope and shipping it to Leupold for custom work will save you a few dollars.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ordering direct vs. buying a scope and shipping it to Leupold for custom work will save you a few dollars.

Leupold will charge you a sales tax whereas I don't think Rick Bin will.

Better saving through this site.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Can that same turret be fitted to the 6x36?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most likely, call the Custom Shop. I'd prefer a capped target turret myself on a hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A downside to ordering through the custom shop is the wait. I didn't realize there would be a line of people having stuff built in front of me, as everything I had sent to Leupold before was less than 2-week turnaround. I think the wait on the above scope was probably 2 months.

Not too bad, but I didn't realize there was a wait initially. Of course, still a shorter wait than a McMillan or a new barrel!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Can that same turret be fitted to the 6x36?

Yes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
I see lots of folks getting that combo. 6x42 and LR recticle.

Is the LR recticle hard to see in super low light conditions compared to the standard duplex?

LR reticle is da' bomb. Works fine in low light.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
A downside to ordering through the custom shop is the wait. I didn't realize there would be a line of people having stuff built in front of me, as everything I had sent to Leupold before was less than 2-week turnaround. I think the wait on the above scope was probably 2 months.

Not too bad, but I didn't realize there was a wait initially. Of course, still a shorter wait than a McMillan or a new barrel!

Just depends on the time of year. I've gotten stuff back in two weeks. If you order it brand new, it comes pretty quick.

Travis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.