Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Today I took my 1951 M70 with its "new" Lyman American Perma Center" 4X just mounted recently. I wanted to bore sight it and while the elevation turned nicely with a nickel, I had a terrible time trying to turn the windage knob. I inserted the nickel and had to give it all I had to move it. It doesn't click like the elevation adjustment does so, it's by guess by golly.

This scope was a NOS and had never seen any adjustments as was evident by the pristine slots on both elevation/windage so, I know they had never been turned before but why the windage screw was as tight as it was I have no idea. Anyone have this problem with a similar scope and if so, is it kosher to put a drop of some sort of lubricant on the threads to make it turn easier? I didn't have a screwdriver with me so had to resort to the nickel. It worked fine on the elevation as mentioned but not the windage adjustment knob.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kitch you are not by any chance, out of adjustment are you?

Before you mounted the scope, did you center up the adjustments?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
+1. I really like these scopes, have had several, never saw one fail...or fail to adjust.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Kitch you are not by any chance, out of adjustment are you?

Before you mounted the scope, did you center up the adjustments?

I figured the scope was like any other. First bore sight at 50 yards the scope cross hairs were high and right. I adjusted after the first shot till the elevation was correct but did not look at the windage adjustment as to where it was set. From what the dial looks like, you have a 0-10(I assume left) and a 0-10 right. I didn't notice that at the time of adjusting as I was just concerned about getting it to move at all. It was plenty tight for trying to adjust with a nickel.

I remember reading the instruction that was in the box about centering it but apparently, I paid little attention to what that meant. I suppose next time I get out to the range I'll have to start over as even though my first shot at 50 yards was on paper, made the adjustment to get it closer to the bulls eye then tried at 100 yards...noting on paper. I believe the clicks on this scope at 100 yards is 3/4". I may have adjusted totally off the paper for that range since I was trying to just get the windage adjustment to move. It doesn't seem it should be that tight since the elevation knob is much easier to adjust.

Last edited by Kitch; 02/02/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"...had to give it all I had to move it."

Both ways?

IC B2

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Both ways?

Yep

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a similar issue with an older scope, probably circa 1950s. Anyway, the grease that had been used on the turret housing/adjustment had turned to the consistency of thick, thick honey. I took the turret housing apart, degreased and lightly regreased . . . problem solved.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This one was a little different. Got it figured out. The manual with the scope says to turn the knobs C-C as far as it would go and then turn CW four turns. That centers it and double checking an object about 50 yards away bore sighting, it's right on the money. Apparently, somehow over the years it got way off. the slots in the knobs didn't look like anyone had ever adjusted it so, go figure.

Last edited by Kitch; 02/02/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.