Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
The place I love to hunt big mulies has the most treacherous ground I've ever hunted in my 60 yrs. of big game hunting. You learn to pay alot of attention to how well your feet stay put on the ground as you move. What happens is as you take a step, half way through it, the ground lets go under you. Sometimes you can catch yourself be finding something solid with the other foot, but sometimes it just can't be done. Every year I've hunted there, and that goes back to 1977, I've had at least one instance where I've hit the ground.
Not anything I'd ever do in the way of scope testing. It has just worked out that way.
Usually, I throw the rifle clear so I can use both hands to break the fall. Sometimes I haven't been able to do even that. But, usually I can. I have yet to injure myself much, but my poor rifles have taken a beating. So have the scopes on them.
What amazes me is how well they've held up. I have yet had to rezero any of them. Even my old 4X B&L, which came down on the front end of the scope survived. Loosend the frong ring on my Ruger rifle, but the scope was, and still is, fine.
The list is kind of extensive. My old M8, 4X has endured three hard falls. Once, when I tripped on a snag in Montana, the rifle was launched off of my shoulder. My newer FXII, 4X also had a similar shoulder height free fall.
Went down once with my old 3-9X33 Compact. The scope hit the ground hard on the windage adjustment side.
My old M8 6X42 and my newer FX3, 6X42 have also been so treated. Again, no damage, and no loss of zero.
The latest to survive my special "rock test" was my new 1.5-4X VX2 Scout Scope. I pushed the rifle away from me at chest height and it landed on it's left side. Nice ding on the scope's bell. But hold zero it did. Magnication change OK as well.
Want to know why I like Leupolds ? This is why. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 12/23/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have taken some spills over the years and was a little concerned about the Leupold holding zero, but they stayed dead on. Leupold's have always been known for being tough, but lately I have heard the new ones aren't holding up like the old models.

Did you shoot a big Mulie this year? I hope to make it out west one day to give it a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dumped a 6x42mm objective-first on a rock in Wyoming in 2012. It hit HARD but the zero didn't shift-- sent Leupold an attaboy note when I got home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Usually, I throw the rifle clear so I can use both hands to break the fall"

My son did that ONCE when he was about 5 years old with a BB gun when he was crossing an irrigation ditch. After a scolding about how you handle a firearm, he never did that again. I can't imagine a place where you have to throw a rifle to break your fall. Most of the time if you carry it on the downhill side on a steep side slope your rifle will never hit the ground. They also make slings that carry the rifle right in the middle of your back so you can walk around hands free. There's got to be a better way than chucking your rifle when you start to fall.

If you insist on hunting that area and insist on chucking your rifle every time you fall, then hunt that area with only one rifle every time so all your rifles won't take a beating. If I had chucking it in mind every time I fell, I would hunt that area with the cheapest POS rifle I could find.

Last edited by troutslayer; 12/27/16.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just last year I took a tumble with a Leupold scoped rifle....

This...

[Linked Image]

Equaled this shift in POI....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Just last year I took a tumble with a Leupold scoped rifle....

This...

[Linked Image]

Equaled this shift in POI....

[Linked Image]

Probably the rings!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately, I have a twenty or so year-old Nikon that failed the" rock" test a couple of weeks ago. It could have been worse, as the rifle got beat up a lot worse than I did (and should have been). I probably will replace it with a Leupold, once the rifle gets a new crown and has some of the cosmetic damage cleaned up.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Actually, it's the mounting system that should get the credit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Name a competing brand that has failed your "ROck Test"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
have bounced a cameraland special zeiss 3.5x10 off some big rocks and its still right on !!!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just am having a hard time seeing the time, balance, and awareness to throw your rifle during a fall. All I have time for is to try not to break my face or my legs...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The place I love to hunt big mulies has the most treacherous ground I've ever hunted in my 60 yrs. of big game hunting. You learn to pay alot of attention to how well your feet stay put on the ground as you move. What happens is as you take a step, half way through it, the ground lets go under you. Sometimes you can catch yourself be finding something solid with the other foot, but sometimes it just can't be done. Every year I've hunted there, and that goes back to 1977, I've had at least one instance where I've hit the ground.
Not anything I'd ever do in the way of scope testing. It has just worked out that way.
Usually, I throw the rifle clear so I can use both hands to break the fall. Sometimes I haven't been able to do even that. But, usually I can. I have yet to injure myself much, but my poor rifles have taken a beating. So have the scopes on them.
What amazes me is how well they've held up. I have yet had to rezero any of them. Even my old 4X B&L, which came down on the front end of the scope survived. Loosend the frong ring on my Ruger rifle, but the scope was, and still is, fine.
The list is kind of extensive. My old M8, 4X has endured three hard falls. Once, when I tripped on a snag in Montana, the rifle was launched off of my shoulder. My newer FXII, 4X also had a similar shoulder height free fall.
Went down once with my old 3-9X33 Compact. The scope hit the ground hard on the windage adjustment side.
My old M8 6X42 and my newer FX3, 6X42 have also been so treated. Again, no damage, and no loss of zero.
The latest to survive my special "rock test" was my new 1.5-4X VX2 Scout Scope. I pushed the rifle away from me at chest height and it landed on it's left side. Nice ding on the scope's bell. But hold zero it did. Magnication change OK as well.
Want to know why I like Leupolds ? This is why. E

Have you killed any big mulies there?

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
I just am having a hard time seeing the time, balance, and awareness to throw your rifle during a fall. All I have time for is to try not to break my face or my legs...

That was one kooky statement by the OP for sure.

I've fallen while hunting, but never had the urge or time to throw my rifle. I've hunted with people that fell and never saw anyone throw their rifle either.

If one of my kids threw their rifle during a fall, I'd be pissed at them and let them know it.

Weird and stupid practice for sure.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I haven't hunted in some of the places mentioned above but I have fell down before. maybe I'm selfish but I'm normally trying to keep me from getting hurt.

Edit I've fell down more in Tennessee than anywhere else.

Last edited by Kaleb; 12/29/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E's just tripping.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No falls happened here....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's some gorgeous scenery, Greg. Thanks for posting those!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes I throw my rifle just for sport. crazy

Me, I sacrifice my body to protect my rifle, not the other way around. Call me crazy, I'll heal, my rifle won't. I HATE dinking up my rifle!

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have fallen a number of times in tough country, while hunting over many years.

I have never smashed a scope, but have dinged myself up a little. I have thrown a chainsaw after tripping, but will NEVER throw my rifles. I turn to protect them.

I heal, they don't.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
All of the four year old mulies I've killed have been there.
Look fellas, I hunt there all by myself. Often, there is no one around. There is no cell phone coverage. Yeah, I should get SPOT, etc. But the bottom line is that if I get injuried, I have to get myself out. I have lots of rifles, but just one me.
I've done this alot.... The ground is typically covered with loose rock. Remember, 3.5 inches of rain per year. Lots of cactus, etc.
I learned to break a fall years ago as a member of a judo team. Brown Belts learn to fall by having the Black Belts throw them, time after time. You learn to fall correctly, or you get hurt......
Like big mulies ? I've seen and even shot at some real nice ones. Try 30 plus, and 34 plus twice. Then there was the book head that myself and two other hunters shot at and missed.
Saw a picture, taken by remote camera over a water source of one that I'm convinced would go 44 inches plus.
BTW, the one I wounded and lost two years ago is still out there. Found his tracks in four different spots, but none of them fresh enough to track.... E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1moredeer, 1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.