-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was developing some new loads today as I got a new .45 mold the other day and cast a bunch last night.

Found a small problem though: My press was previously set up on an old kitchen table. It stopped cam-over. (Lyman Turret, orange original)

With the new setup, I couldn't figure out why I was throwing double charges with the Lee Auto-Disk, 8 to 9 grains on the particular hole I had it set on. Got to looking and it seems I am, on my new work table, camming over and allowing it to throw doubles.

This is not good. I have a few hundred reloads in an ammo box that may have been loaded on the new setup. I flat don't remember. eek

All I have is an inertia puller.

This is going to be a long process if I have to pull each of those that way. Is there a collet puller out there that will latch onto truncated cone?

Some of those truncated cone loads seemed a bit lively; I'm almost wondering if I have some .45 Supers down there and have just been extraordinarily lucky thus far!

I can't see myself not checking the throw every 10 rounds or so, but folks, I just don't want to chance it!

Aaaargh!!!

Josh

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a 8 gr charge weight, my first thought is to run them all over the scales after checking a few that you know are definitely double charged and a few that you know are not. I would allow 3 or 4 grains over the nominal weight for any weight discrepincies in the bullet and case weights.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have pulled lead bullets by setting a thick washer on top of die hole, with no die, and grabbing with a pair of vise grips.
I use a loading block and throw 20 or 50 charges so I can visually check for abnormal levels.
Pull them all and recast your bullets, better safe than learning to shoot with the other hand you still have!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VonGruff
With a 8 gr charge weight, my first thought is to run them all over the scales after checking a few that you know are definitely double charged and a few that you know are not. I would allow 3 or 4 grains over the nominal weight for any weight discrepincies in the bullet and case weights.

Von Gruff.

Good suggestion.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me (and it has been although it was way less than a couple 100 rounds) I'd pull them all and dump the powder. You're going to have to pull your expander ball out of your size die to re-bell the case mouth before you can re-seat the bullet anyway. Weighing the rounds will certainly tell you how much they weigh, but as you probably know and has been said bullets can vary as much as 3 gr and so can different cases. A double load of Unique-like stuff can make a mess. I use the plier method described above. Sometimes I get away with minimal marring of the bullet, other times it has to go back in the pot. Really nothing else to do. Aggravating? Yes. Damn good thing you caught it.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.