24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
from an old geezer trying to catch up in casting.

I cast some .30 cal bullets and used Lee Alox lube. I then ran them through a Lee sizing die to seat the gas check. Of course the lube was removed from the driving bands so I wondered should I put more alox on them?

Years back, when I cast bullets I had a Lyman sizer but it's been long gone so I thought I'd try the Lee sizer. I like the fact that it pushes the bullet from the base and not the nose but I also like to see the grooves filled with lubricant from the old way. Another reason I didn't like the Lyman sizer was that every so often I'd get a glob of lube under a bullet and would have to clean it out. Was this because I didn't use a heater on the sizer?

If I bought another sizer which one would you guys recommend? I'll admit that when I see the beautiful bullets with blue lube in the grooves I get moist just looking at them.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is my understanding that you want a very thin coating of Alox. Right or wrong I use a very small amount in a plastic bowl before sizing and then do it again, after. I did size some without the lube but the lube made it easier. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Miles. That makes sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mickey, here is a link to a lube that I have been using on wheel weights in my 38 special. miles

tumblelube

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the LLA before and after. I played around with making some lubes and punches and they worked fine. I used some old candles that my #1 wife threw out once and we had "Bayberry" smoke when shooting the bullets.

I picked up some cast 32 cal bullets that I use in my 30 carbine that is on an old Winchester Model 1905 S.L. action (my grandfather converted a 32 S.L. to 30 Carbine because 32 SL were harder ot find than 30 Carbine). I run them through the .308 lee sizer as is and the lube stays in the grooves and they slide right on through. Soft, probably pure lead.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you don't need lube on the driving bands, all other sizers, Lyman 4500, Star, etc.. put lube in the lube grooves and none on the driving bands.

Just make sure your lube grooves are full or have some in it, and you're good to go.

putting more lube, of any sort on the driving bands does nothing but clog up your seating die, it's pressed off by the case it's being seated in.

I personally have had NO luck at ALL with Alox on any projectile, be it rifle or pistol at any velocity. For me it don't work.

I would get a lyman 450 or pan lube with a better lube than alox, that's my preference.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MColeman
Another reason I didn't like the Lyman sizer was that every so often I'd get a glob of lube under a bullet and would have to clean it out. Was this because I didn't use a heater on the sizer?

most likely you didn't have your seating depth adjusted properly and there was a lube hole targeted right at the base of your projectile and it "injected" some lube there when there was no pressure to keep it out, IE you went to raise the ram, and that pause from the pressure let the lube in.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Blammer. It would do it too often but it was a PITA when it did. You are the first person I've read about that didn't like alox. I've not used it enough to have an opinion. I must admit that the sight of a groove filled to perfection with lube looks good to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm the second that does not like Alox lube, and quit using it 40'years ago. I use mostly the Lyman lube, the inexpensive stuff with great satisfaction for rifle and handgun for many years.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"..every so often I'd get a glob of lube under a bullet and would have to clean it out. Was this because I didn't use a heater on the sizer?"

No, that was caused by not pulling the lever down hard enough to prevent lube seeping under the base when you tried too hard to completely fill the lube grooves 100% (which really isn't needed or helpful).

You can get an idea of how much bullet lube you're using by firing several rounds and looking at the muzzle - excess lube will make a greasy 'star burst' at the exit. When you have the 'right' amount of lube the star will be clear but not heavy.

I love the performance of NRA formula 50:50 Alox/beeswax in my old Lyman 45 but I've not tried Lee's version - yet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boomtube
"..every so often I'd get a glob of lube under a bullet and would have to clean it out. Was this because I didn't use a heater on the sizer?"

No, that was caused by not pulling the lever down hard enough to prevent lube seeping under the base when you tried too hard to completely fill the lube grooves 100% (which really isn't needed or helpful).

You can get an idea of how much bullet lube you're using by firing several rounds and looking at the muzzle - excess lube will make a greasy 'star burst' at the exit. When you have the 'right' amount of lube the star will be clear but not heavy.

I love the performance of NRA formula 50:50 Alox/beeswax in my old Lyman 45 but I've not tried Lee's version - yet.

Just so I understand fully are you saying that I didn't pull the handle down fast enough or was it caused by me putting too much force on the lube inside the lubrisizer?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.