Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I read some articles earlier this year about New Mexico Ibex hunts. I read that there was a 34% success rate in drawing a tag in 2008 for a muzzle loader. I thought about applying in 2010 for a muzzle loader tag if the projected odds are about the same. Is there anyone out there who has hunted ibex in New Mexico? If so, do you think it would be a waste of money to go on a muzzle loader hunt for ibex? Could you give me any insight about Ibex hunting in New Mexico? Thanks.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The Florida's are tough mountains! There is some good reading on the Monstermuleys under NM.Sorry I can not help more. Ihave put in, but never drew.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't believe the stats. They are complete horsesheet. I can't draw either. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Pm sent

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My buddy from E NM drew several years ago. He said it was nasty rough and treacherous, but he was hardly ever out of sight of Ibex. They were very abundant. I think it would be worth it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1
The Florida's are tough mountains!

AMEN to that! I have been to the florida's but honestly never hunted them. Yet, those critters in them specific mountains armed only with a smokepole?!?!
Probably have better luck using a old mountain cannon, starting a rock avalanche above one, then pick up the remains below.

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think if I could get within 200 yards with something like a Thompson Center Omega I could get one killed. The question is, is it even possible to get within 200 yards of an ibex in the Florida's?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OZULTRA
I think if I could get within 200 yards with something like a Thompson Center Omega I could get one killed. The question is, is it even possible to get within 200 yards of an ibex in the Florida's?

Oz, that's the million dollar question right there. Glassing them probably would be a problem, it's just putting on the sneak.
I know a guy in town whose shop looks like a Cabela's trophy room wall. He has taken several Ibex out of the florida's. I'll give him a call tomorrow and get the particulars on how he did it and with what.
lnf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oz,

You may be misunderstanding. There is a 34% success rate on the actual harvest, not the odds of drawing a tag. For this season, there is a total of 200 tags for all hunts available. 20 of which are for muzzleloader and bow, 100 bow only, and a total of 80 any legal sporting arm, of which 50 are for Female-Immature only and 15 are once in a lifetime.
Not to mention that the non resident fee is $1,622.

By all means apply, but buy a lottery ticket at the same time.

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The magazine I read the article I read did for sure mention a 34% success rate in drawing a muzzle loader tag. Maybe it was a misprint.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Straight from NMGF proclamation. I'm quite sure more than 60 people applied for muzzle loader season.

"What You Must Know Before You Hunt
Youth-Only Hunt: Applicants must be under 18 on the opening day of the hunt, provide proof of hunter education certification to apply and
carry their certificate while hunting with a firearm. Cougar Hunting in Unit 25, Florida Mountains Hunt Area: Cougar hunting is closed in
the Florida Mountains Hunt Area during any ibex hunt.
Hunt Area Hunt Dates Hunt Code Licenses Bag Limit
Any Legal Sporting Arm (Centerfire, muzzleloader and bow)
Florida Mountains in Unit 25 Youth Only Sept. 26-Oct. 4 IBX-1-500 15 ES
Florida Mountains in Unit 25 Oct. 10-18 IBX-1-520 50 F-IM
Florida Mountains in Unit 25 Once-in-a-Lifetime Nov. 28-Dec. 13 IBX-1-525 15 ES
Units 20, 21, 23, 24, 25 (except Florida Mountains Hunt Area), 26 (including the Big Hatchets), and 27
Apr. 1, �09-Mar. 31, �10 IBX-1-528 Over-The-Counter 1 ES per tag
Bow Only
Florida Mountains in Unit 25 Jan. 1-15, �10 IBX-2-535 100 ES
Muzzleloader and Bow
Florida Mountains in Unit 25 Feb. 13-21, �10 IBX-3-540 20 ES"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that only 22% of licenses go to non-resident hunters, split roughly in half by those using outfitters and those DIY.
This past Sat. at the local SCI dinner I actually sat across the table from the man who writes the proclamation for NMGF and we discussed, among other things, the number of tags for, and the allocation of, exotic species in NM.

The good news though is that the proclamation for next year should be available on-line within the next 2 weeks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oz, I talked to that guy with the Ibex and he said his two were shot 300 and 500 yards respectively. But, he also said he did get within 50 yrds of one and knows guys who have killed theirs with bows and muzzleloaders. So it just depends, I guess.
lnf

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not usually weigh in very heavily opinionated on many things here. But Ibex in NM I do know a thing about. I have personally chased them many times, though never having a tag myself.

They are actually quite easy to spot and located. Google Earth will show you a road that completely encircles the entire mountain range.

I have spotted them at great distance very easily with 8X binos.

The biggest goats/sheep are at the very top. The bottom tier will be mostly nannies and kids. Get to the top and you will tag out on an Ibex. And getting to the top is easily do-able...if you got the legs and gas tank. Not something I would dump $1600 for an out of state tag and show up as a "Bubba" expecting to shoot one. You will certainly not get one from the truck.

They move around a lot during the course of the day, so I think if you found a chute and set up and hung out, you would get a shot.

When I draw a tag(yeah right, now I am in the non-res category)I will be busting my hump to climb fully loaded and ready to stay up there for at least a few days. Water is pretty tough to find, so you would need to pack the full 9 up the mountain.

For the Super Hunters, guys that have hunted sheep in AK and such, it can be easily done going up and down everyday, but again, you will need to be in shape. Not Oklahoma deer Camp shape, not Colorado Drive the ATV around from the wall tent camp shape.....IN SHAPE.

Seeing that I will never draw a tag and there is not too much secret about where they are, if anyone draws a tag, ping me and I will help out via email as much as I can.

Now I just need to prioritize my money and see what I will apply for this upcoming season. With Idaho and Montana much closer and lacking $5000 to farm out for lottery tags, I doubt NMGF will get my $1600 to hang onto for 3 months this year.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 12/11/09. Reason: typos

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is a state park, not sure if it is Rock Hound or City of Rocks, that can be accessed by vehicle. The terrain is rocky and can be difficult to traverse. But, if you could draw a tag it would be worth the hunt. The weather here just north of Deming is in the 60's today. Yes, there is a trail that circles the Floridas and can be accessed from route 11 south out of Deming. There are a number of good RV parks, good restuarants here in Deming. I would contact the Border Patrol service,, in Deming, NM for additional info. If I can help more, just PM me. We are located 13 miles north of Deming in the Hidden Valley Ranch RV park. Good luck!

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Here are the hunt odds that I found.

Non-Resident Muzzleloader in 2008:

Unit 25 Either Sex Florida Mountains 0.8%
Unit 25 Either Sex Guided Florida Mountains 0.8%

Resident

2005 0.7%
2006 0.5%
2007 1.2%
2008 0.8%

I
I
I was one of the lucky ones drawn for a bow Ibex plan on staying 4 night on the mountian and then going for water and shower to return the next morning. any other sugestions from those of you who are in the know.

R
R
All I can tell you is it is very difficult but a lot of fun. I too drew an archery Ibex this year and just spent 4 days scouting. They are easy to find but I have not yet learned how to get close. They have all the physical abilities of Rocky Mt Goats or Tahr but far superior hearing and eye site. Closest I could get was 90 yards a couple times.

R
R
Forgot to ask if anyone knows about the old mining road that goes from Mahoney Park to the saddle between Gym and South peaks. Seems like it would be a great way to get some easy altitude with an ATV if it is allowed. Most of the old mining trails are marked no vehicles but I could not find a marker on that one. I have calls into the local biologist and the BLM but have not heard back.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I put a bit of stuff up here, but it's someone else's information, so I deleted it. PM me and I will pass it along.

Ibex bound hit me first, but I have a better area to put you guys if you are interested.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.