Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way or something. But I been trying to find someone that is interested in doing some out of state hunts. But everyone I talk to is like you want to drive how far and do what. Yes I realize I live in Tennessee and to get out west it is a good drive. But how do you guys find dedicated people to do this I'm not talking about father son I'm talking about a friend or someone you have met. I'm not really looking to pay a guide I'm more into on my own maybe that is why most people doesn't like the idea of it. I have started planning a trip already ordered maps and hoping to find someone before time to go and put in for the draw. But it is hard at least so far for me. Plus finding someone trust worthy and reliable.

Tater
BP-B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's hard to find people to hunt with. I have hunted out west with dozens of guys and only have one buddy I can count on all the time. All the others either don't have the money or their wives won't let them go.

One guy I hunted with several times got where he would put in and draw a tag then back out a couple weeks before it was time to go. Then we had to pay his part of the fuel. He does not get invited anymore even though he is a good guy.

You really just have to decide to go and go. If people want to go fine if not that's fine also.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will admit up front that I have never had to deal with what you are asking about. However, since I have started working with organized sportsmen's clubs, I have found a number of good hunting partners. I get far more invitations to go on out of state hunts than I can possibly accept, and far more than I am in a position to offer.

Find a chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or the Mule Deer Foundation or the National Wild Turkey Federation. I have found that guys who are active in these kinds of organizations usually hunt a little bit of everything and they are always game for something new. You will spend a little money on memberships and blow a few bucks at banquets, but I bet you will also meet some guys who would like to make some of the same hunts that you would.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
pse, I feel for ya. It's hard enough to find a good partner right at home. I hunted with a guy that knew what I would do before I did it, and vica versa. He moved out of state last year, and I don't expect to find a guy that I can hunt with the same way. It takes years sometimes to build the trust in a good hunting partner. mtmuley

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ya I realize it takes time to build trust

Tater
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep pse I feel for ya too. what dink said is true. my pards would drive and pay for gas if I had to settle a score..........let alone just hunt.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Best option, IMO, is to plan on hunting alone.

Lots of reasons for that...and I'll list a bunch.

1. Its really tough for people to commit. Many want to go, but make up every excuse they can to not go when it comes down to it.

2. If you're applying and drawing tags that arent OTC, it can take years to draw them. When you do, its tough enough to find ONE quality animal, let alone 2, 3, 4 of them.

3. When you finally find some areas, they will be YOUR areas. Its pretty rare to find a hunting partner that will keep their yap shut about your spots. Even worse, many will horn right into spots you've shown them and not even feel bad about it when they do. Some even get upset when you call them on their bullchit.

4. When you hunt alone...you make all your own decisions. If you feel like waking up at 3 a.m. and hiking 4 hours in the dark you can. If you feel like sleeping in until noon and just do an evening hunt you can. YOU control the outcome of your hunt and how you go about it.

Take it from someone who has been there and done that, you'll never hunt more effectively on a serious hunt than when you hunt alone. I spent wayyyy too much of my time in the past worrying about hunting with others and making sure they filled their tags. It wears you down...and I felt exactly like a guide. I put pressure on myself to make sure they were successful. Rarely was that reciprocated.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy helping out some friends and tagging along on their hunts. I just dont make any hunting plans revolving around someone elses old lady, schedule, kids, money issues, etc. When I apply for tags, I plan on doing all those hunts solo. If a friend is available and wants to go...great. If not, no big deal either.

My 2 cents.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Heck my shadow makes me mad seems to beat me to my best hunting spots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Marry your hunting partne...that is if you are lucky

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I got rid of one a couple of years ago,couldn't hit crap. If he did hit it, it got away. Had one elk he shot way back and low and it died on guys land we were hunting three days after we left.The owner asked me to never bring him back. Was never where he said he was going to be, was always in the truck first, hated moving in the dark, and had to eat lunch in the truck. I am better off with out him. Have a couple other sets of guys that are great to hunt with but they are not available every day. I tailor my trips around their leave schedule. I usually do at least 1 elk hunt annually by myself.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Generally, we only find each other back at the canoe or truck or camp. Usually not on time, but sooner or later...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Best option, IMO, is to plan on hunting alone.

Lots of reasons for that...and I'll list a bunch.

1. Its really tough for people to commit. Many want to go, but make up every excuse they can to not go when it comes down to it.

2. If you're applying and drawing tags that arent OTC, it can take years to draw them. When you do, its tough enough to find ONE quality animal, let alone 2, 3, 4 of them.

3. When you finally find some areas, they will be YOUR areas. Its pretty rare to find a hunting partner that will keep their yap shut about your spots. Even worse, many will horn right into spots you've shown them and not even feel bad about it when they do. Some even get upset when you call them on their bullchit.

4. When you hunt alone...you make all your own decisions. If you feel like waking up at 3 a.m. and hiking 4 hours in the dark you can. If you feel like sleeping in until noon and just do an evening hunt you can. YOU control the outcome of your hunt and how you go about it.

Take it from someone who has been there and done that, you'll never hunt more effectively on a serious hunt than when you hunt alone. I spent wayyyy too much of my time in the past worrying about hunting with others and making sure they filled their tags. It wears you down...and I felt exactly like a guide. I put pressure on myself to make sure they were successful. Rarely was that reciprocated.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy helping out some friends and tagging along on their hunts. I just dont make any hunting plans revolving around someone elses old lady, schedule, kids, money issues, etc. When I apply for tags, I plan on doing all those hunts solo. If a friend is available and wants to go...great. If not, no big deal either.

My 2 cents.
Very good advice. I'm lucky to have a few folks I can depend on, but those are few and far between. Begging on a forum is not going to work. Post, converse, share info, etc and get to know folks and you'll have a much better chance of finding someone to hunt with you. The personal ads are pretty lame...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Per previous post - We hunt alone together...

Every once in awhile, we bump into each other away from camp/canoe/truck- usually because one of us has screwed up... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how do you find a good hunting partner?

Grow your own...

wink

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mostly hunt with family. Tried going with a few different guys but their idea of a great day of hunting was alot different than mine.

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately it's trial and error. Some are wonderful suprises, and other are woeful failures. Fortunately, I have three and we've done fine for month long wilderness excursions.

One of my winners turned out to be my wife. That one took a little while to whip into shape, but she has plowed through snow up to her ass for days on end chasing elk.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/14/12.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My experience has confirmed that it is very difficult to find a hunting/fishing partner. My long time friends are always short on cash and I'm not rich enough to fund their share so that has eliminated them when it comes to hunting out of state. I did find a guy that was my own age and had a similar career to fish with. I got to know him off a fishing forum. One trip with him was all it took to find that we really didn't hit it off that well. The friend that I used to fish with all the time really stung me once, a long story, so that fishing relationship has dwindled to maybe twice a year instead of the old 25-30 times. Good luck in your quest, it's not easy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way or something. But I been trying to find someone that is interested in doing some out of state hunts. But everyone I talk to is like you want to drive how far and do what. Yes I realize I live in Tennessee and to get out west it is a good drive. But how do you guys find dedicated people to do this I'm not talking about father son I'm talking about a friend or someone you have met. I'm not really looking to pay a guide I'm more into on my own maybe that is why most people doesn't like the idea of it. I have started planning a trip already ordered maps and hoping to find someone before time to go and put in for the draw. But it is hard at least so far for me. Plus finding someone trust worthy and reliable.

I always hunt alone, so I've never been in your predicament. But, you should investigate your local sportsmen's associations/organizations and also do some inexpensive advertising in local internet or print media outlets. If you can't find anyone within your circle of friends and acquaintances and/or family members, you should be able to connect with someone local by involving yourself with sportsmen's groups.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have always thought that hunting was an adventure, as was finding good people to hunt with. I have been very lucky and have hunted with the same guy for over 30 years. It is still an adventure, but a very enjoyable one when both of you score on elk the same day, toast one another with Southern Comfort, and both of our rifles shoot to the same POI.Hard to ask for more than that.

Terry

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have been screwed over too many times by (inviting) my (friends) to go hunting, that being said I only hunt with family or by myself too much land is being bought here to take for granted!!!!

Life's a game, hunting is serious.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.