Hop To
#3490730 11/18/09
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ok,

I've decided to bite the bullet and live my dream. I don't know exactly how I'm going to pay for it yet, but I'm doing this. I'm going on a Dall hunt. I'm saying 2011. That will give me the better part of two years to train and save. I need help/ recomendations on an outfitter. I'm leaning towards the Nortwest territories, but I can be swayed. Any help would be appreciated. Personal experiences are always welcome.

thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are several parameters you need to consider for the kind of hunt you want. Easy, hard. Fly-in, horse back, base camp, spike camp, 2X1, 1X1, draw, otc., time of year, quality of trophy, etc.

You'll learn alot talking to the outfitters over the phone, and be able to make assumptions from talking to them. But, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is--call and talk to REFERENCES! As many as you can. Here's a tip...the outfitters who ALSO serve as guides, seem to be in better touch with what is going on.

My hunt was in AK, not NWT, so I can't help you there. I spent 4 full days on the phone (7 hrs per) interviewing 45 outfitters and guides before I had it narrowed down to 2. I had a list of 20 questions that I went over with each one, and I really found out who was organized, and who wasn't.

Then I started calling references. That's where you really get the skinny on what goes on, and how the hunt works.

You are smart by giving yourself time to train. If your cardio isn't awesome by the time you go, you're just wasting your time and money. Your guide will accomodate you, but you probably won't be able to get to where the "big boys" are. You need to get in excellent shape, and "completely" break in all your equiptment, while you are training, before your trip. I can't stress that enough.

My post is getting long winded. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to answer them, just ask. Did you see my sheep trip post a couple pages back? I'd also be happy to recommend gear that worked great for me.

Time to start getting excited. It will be "the trip of a lifetime".

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 12344mag, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.