Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer says the state will defy federal protections for gray wolves and kill packs that have been hurting elk herds.

Schweitzer also told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he is encouraging livestock owners north of Interstate 90 to shoot wolves that harass their animals. He says state game wardens would stop investigating wolf shootings in that part of the state.

Livestock owners in southern Montana already have authority to shoot wolves that harass their animals.

The Democratic governor says he is fed up with years of litigation that have kept wolves on the endangered species list even as their population has grown to more than 1,700 across the Northern Rockies.

.Copyright 2011 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

.Posted in Montana, Recreation on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:59 pm Updated: 8:09 am. | Tags: Gray Wolves, Brian Schweitzer, Elk

Related
�Cattle group sues over wolves in Northern Rockies
�GOP budget bill lifts wolf protections in Montana and Wyoming
�Tester, Baucus introduce wolf delisting bill
.Share This Story
Print Email ShareThis

Other Stories
�Analysts say more money available for Montana budget
�Butte woman pleads not guilty in crash at Capitol
�Frenchtown fire chief resigns after investigation
�Montana crime lab gains international accreditation
�Montana men caught with 7 pounds of pot
�Injured Ronan Marine returns home for first time
�Winnett area dam holding
�Newspaper carrier attacked in Bozeman
Sponsored Links
Follow us:
FacebookTwitterRSSEmailMobile.30� F
10 Day Forecast | Webcams | Ski Report

Last edited by Royce; 02/17/11.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BILLINGS - Defying federal authority over gray wolves, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer on Wednesday encouraged ranchers to kill wolves that prey on their livestock - even in areas where that is not currently allowed - and said the state will start shooting packs that hurt elk herds.

Schweitzer said he no longer would wait for federal officials to resolve the tangle of lawsuits over wolves, which has kept the animals on the endangered species list for a decade since recovery goals were first met.

"We will take action in Montana on our own," he said. "We've had it with Washington, D.C., with Congress just yipping about it, with (the Department of) Interior just vacillating about it."

State wildlife agents and ranchers already kill wolves regularly across much of the Northern Rockies, where 1,700 of the animals roam parts of five states. Rules against killing wolves have been relaxed significantly by federal officials over the past decade but hunting remains prohibited.

Livestock owners in southern Montana and Idaho have authority to defend their property by shooting wolves that attack their cattle, sheep or other domestic animals. And federal agents regularly kill problem wolves, with more than 1,000 shot over the past decade.

But Schweitzer is moving to expand those killings beyond what the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has so far allowed, including to parts of Montana where ranchers are not allowed to shoot the predators.

Fish and Wildlife spokesman Chris Tollefson said the agency was working with Montana and other states in the region to address their concerns over the wolf population.

"We've been in negotiations with Montana and the other states for some time, and we're committed to continuing that and trying to find a solution that works for everybody," he said.

In a letter to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar provided by Schweitzer's office, the Democratic governor said state game wardens will be directed to stop investigating wolf shootings north of Interstate 90, the part of the state with the strictest protections for the animals.

That follows a similar show of defiance from Idaho's Republican governor, C.L. "Butch" Otter.

Otter said in the fall that Idaho Fish and Game agents would no longer participate in wolf management efforts, including shooting investigations. The move forced federal officials to step in to enforce restrictions on killing the animals.

Federal enforcement of laws against killing protected wolves also would be expected in Montana.

But critics of federal wolf policies appeared emboldened by the governor's Wednesday statements. Robert Fanning, who heads a group that advocates protecting elk herds around Yellowstone National Park from wolves, sent out an e-mail urging Montana residents to "lock and load and saddle up while there is still snow on the ground."

In the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula, Schweitzer directed Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks to begin removing wolf packs blamed for driving down elk populations.

The state has a pending petition before the Fish and Wildlife Service to remove a dozen wolves in the Bitterroot. A decision on that petition is pending, according to federal officials.

But Schweitzer indicated Wednesday he was not going to wait, and would leave it to state wildlife agents to decide when to kill the wolves. He was less adamant in the letter to Salazar, which said the Bitterroot packs would be killed "to the extent allowed by the Endangered Species Act."

Department of Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said the agency agreed there was an "urgent need" to turn over wolf management to states that have acceptable management plans for the animals.

"But the governor's letter is not the answer," she added.

Federal wildlife officials have tried twice in the last four years to lift endangered protections for wolves and turn over management to the states. Both attempts were reversed in federal court.

A provision in a budget bill pending before Congress would revoke endangered species status for wolves in Montana and Idaho. Other measures introduced by lawmakers would lift federal protections across the lower 48 states.

Despite the bitter public divide on the issue, attacks on livestock by other, unprotected predators such as coyotes far exceed damage from wolves, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture statistics. But the lack of state control over wolves because of their endangered status has frustrated both livestock owners and elk hunters, who complain that their hands are tied by federal protections.

"This is a real-life problem in Montana - and we plan to start solving the problem," Schweitzer said.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's about time!

I hunted Elk for years in the Clearwater Forest, now the wolves had just about killed off the herds there.

For me, I'm happy to hear MT has had enough of the wolves!!

Respects,

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have gun, WILL TRAVEL!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took some courage to do that I'm sure but you can't let wolves go or there will be no big game left.

Really noticed it this year at Yellowstone, way less elk in the meadows than a few years ago.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm liking the sounds of that!

Now if ours would do the same, we'd be somewhere. We have the biggest wolf population in the U.S.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Royce
The Democratic governor says he is fed up with years of litigation that have kept wolves on the endangered species list even as their population has grown to more than 1,700 across the Northern Rockies.

I applaude the decision, but am surprised he is a democrat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's also obvious that classifying the woof as a big game animal with a hunting season is a vain attempt at controlling.

Kill them all now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Breath of fresh air isn't it.

I'm further right on most issues than the Republican party, and I really didn't like Sweitzer at all when he was running for office, he's a huge blow hard, kind of reminded me of Clinton. But I have to grudgingly admit a bit of respect for him as he battled his own party on the budget and enviromental issues, including this hard stance against wolves. It's funny watching liberal dems and other advocates walking on egg shells trying to condemn his actions without going too far against a Democrat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by StrayDog

ya think!!! he is a wolf in the hen house. Something is up he is looking for something.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
If it sounds too good to be true.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
FWP says its still only landowners that can shoot wolves north of I 90. But that is better than nothing.

Fred

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
South of I-90......?

whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
South of I-90 they are still trying to control them with non-lethal methods- like the 7X57...

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
That was mean...

But at least I'll know what rifle to take when I go "fishing"...

The less-than-lethal.... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw on another website an address to send a thank you to the Governor of Montana for his actions, you know the treehuggers are lighting up his boards!

http://governor.mt.gov/contact/commentsform.asp

Proud NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bullets hell, time to break out the compound 1080.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
South of I-90 they are still trying to control them with non-lethal methods- like the 7X57...

That was funny!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just wondering what you fellers think old Brian said. What do you thinks different now, than lets say last week? He said "Whole packs that kill livestock will be removed". That's always been the case. He said, "that serious elk predation in the Bitterroot will result in whole packs being removed, according to the ESA." We've already applied for the 10j rule to be implemented there. Waiting for the go ahead for the comment period. That was headed our way before Brian's speech. Laffin, that so many drank the cool-aid.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know how many wolves were killed in Montana in recent years by hunters? What is the success rate for hunters?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.