-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll be heading over in May for a 14 day hunt with my wife and a hunting partner. We'll be going after lion in one area and then travelling to another area for kudu, waterbuck, zebra, blue wildebeest, nyala, gemsbuck and perhaps a few other critters.

The recent 90-day listing by the USFWS was a bit of an eye-opener and I�ve noticed online discussions on this issue popping up on the internet.

Which begs the question...What happens if the powers that be decide to list them as "protected" or "endangered" before, during, or shortly after our hunt? Given how slow bureaucracies can move, is it even remotely possible that I would encounter a problem getting one back home through US Customs?

Obviously, we won�t be hunting lions if they are listed before we go. I would still want to go, but I�d expect our outfitter to honor our monetary arrangement and pony up some other nice critters.

On the other hand, I�d have to chalk it up as galactically [bleep] timing if a prohibitive listing occurred anytime between the hunt and successfully get the skull and hide back through U.S. customs to my taxidermist (think: polar bear).

Should I be at all concerned about this happening between now and July? I'd rather go sheep hunting if that's the case.

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If "hunting", worry about a lion making it to your home afterward.
If "shopping", spend the same money on a sheep hunt. (You can always get a lion rug later on when your legs/ankles won't handle mountains anymore.)

2 cents there

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get your CITIES permit now and don't worry.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari

CITES permit for lion is non applicable.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hatari

Lions do not require a CITIEs permit like elephant and leopard.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know what a CITES permit is, but what is this CITIES permit you all speak of?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. wink

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
That is funny. I did it also.

You have to have a CITIES permit to import to New York, Las Angeles, or any metropolitan area.

CITES permits are good in most other places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A CITES tag is required for all animals listed as CITES 1 animals. These include leopard, elephant, black rhino, cheetah, all primates and black foot cat(call me a liar on the last one).

A lion requires a tag from the Provincial authority in the province the hunt is scheduled for. In the Free State there are only two properties that comply with the regulations as set out by the F&W department, ie, there are only two properties where you can legally hunt lion. In the Free State you also have to have a member of the F&W dept tag along for the hunt to make sure it is not a canned hunt.

The tag issued by any provincial F&W department in South Africa does not override any legislation from a foreign country. This means that even if you do a legal hunt here with all the required tags in place and your F&W dept decided to list lions as endangered you would still not be able to import your trophy to the US.

However, if you have hunted your trophy prior to the date of the ban becoming effective and the trophy is still at the taxidermist then you will be able to import your trophy.

This applies to the following African game animals that can no longer be imported to the US: cheetah, scimitar oryx and brown hyena along with some others. I am sure you know more about the oryx now not being huntable anymore.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you Pieter.

We will be well north of Free State in the Limpopo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.