24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at double rifles and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the merkel 141 rifles in 9.3x74r. Seems to be a lightweight well built rifle but would like to hear from someone with hands on experience with one. Would be used on African plains game hunt.
Thanks

Last edited by MRxHILLBILLY; 12/31/12.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. They're excellent and usually very well regulated.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A friend has a model 140 in this cartridge and it's a good rifle. As luv2safari posted, they are well regulated, and well finished. Your biggest concern may be deciding on ejectors or not.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An absolute beauty. Only ever had one hunter hunt with it and he was as happy as a hog in slop with it. He took 3 animals with it and all three fell to the shot of which the biggest one was a zebra.

I am partial to ejectors. Deciding on a scope will take some time.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
A nice thing about the 9.3 x 74 is that the makers like Merkel tend to use two sizes of frames. The 9.3 is on the smaller frame and therefore weighs less and costs less. The next step, usually a .450-400, costs a lot more and weighs a couple of pounds more.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've not had the Merkel, but have handled a few. Fit and finish is typical M stuff, real nice. I have had a couple other 9.3 doubles. It's a wonderful combination, the 9.3x74 in a double. It gives you a light, handy double that can be used to 200- 250 yards, and still have the stuff for close work. You can scope them or carry them bare. I would be sure the one I got was regulated with 286 grain loads. One of the little secrets of those 9.3 small frames are that they are light and a joy to carry. The dirty part of that secret is that they often have a bit of extra drop and combined with the light weight, recoil can be a bit spritely. It's not knock you down stuff, but it's not a twenty guage lite load either. A good pad can really make a difference. I lean toward ejectors, but that's a personal choice. I suspect you will absolutely love the Merkel.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 01/07/13.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 141 in 9.3 is a very nice handling rifle. It points instinctively and the 9.3 does not have punishing recoil.

Scopes on a double rifle are like Marilyn Monroe with a mustache. It detracts from a thing of beauty in a criminal way.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Less is more on both accounts. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
With doubles, I prefer this philosophy:

[Linked Image]

That said, Merkels are solid tough rifles but I have to add I've seen more (three) instances of doubling with Merkels than with any other make. Also a plastic buttcap? Really, on a 9K rifle??? Spend a little more and get what is in my opinion a great rifle for the money; Verney-Carron. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a Big Bore. More recoil to deal with. Something to think about when you mount it and stick it up in your face. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinHatari, Jorge is a Swabbie!! He has provided a pic of someone wid their waterwings on backwards grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
That's a Big Bore. More recoil to deal with. Something to think about when you mount it and stick it up in your face. grin

Was this meant to be a rhetorical question??? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something I knew you could relate to,

Now back to the OP

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a model 140 in 500NE. My friend's model 140 in 9.3x74 is the same frame size. Maybe the 141 has different frame sizes between the two?

There was also a comment made regarding doubling - my 500NE will do this if I fire the left barrel first (rear trigger) and use 570gn loads. It doesn't do this with 440gn loads - obviously recoil related. It doesn't double ever if I fire the right barrel (front trigger) first. The manual says to fire the right barrel for regulation reasons (doesn't mention doubling).

interesting to note that there is an interceptor inside the action to prevent the LH action tripping under the recoil of firing thr RH.

Well?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bet that thing was talking to you when it doubled... shocked

You may have been talking to it, too... blush

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/07/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was lucky and discovered the problem when I was firing single shots from each barrel alternately. The RH action was uncocking (it has cocking indicators) when I fired the LH. Actually before I checked this I noticed that both ejectors would operate when I opened the action after just firing the LH, then I started checking the cocking indicator before I opened the action.

Also luckily I'd been firing RH barrel first whenever I had both barrels loaded.

I've managed to be quite careful and have always pulled the front trigger first, but I guess I might mess-up one day and pull the rear trigger first (not likely, but possible) - I've been meaning to get around and have it looked at.

I've heard of this also happening with the Merkel in 470NE.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/08/13.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a model 140 in 500NE. My friend's model 140 in 9.3x74 is the same frame size. Maybe the 141 has different frame sizes between the two?

There was also a comment made regarding doubling - my 500NE will do this if I fire the left barrel first (rear trigger) and use 570gn loads. It doesn't do this with 440gn loads - obviously recoil related. It doesn't double ever if I fire the right barrel (front trigger) first. The manual says to fire the right barrel for regulation reasons (doesn't mention doubling).

interesting to note that there is an interceptor inside the action to prevent the LH action tripping under the recoil of firing thr RH.

That is poor regulation and trigger adjustment of Merkel's part. There is no reason for having to limit yourself to a specicic firing order of barrels. One of the touted advantages of a double is the ability to load a soft in one and a solid in the other and use them as the situation might dictate. My Verney-Carron regulates regardless of barrel fired first and it will not double if the left barrel is fired first.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Neat guns. I'm still trying to sell this 470NE Merkel for a friend.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd love to shoot it but it but my friend wants to sell it unfired. (chicken!)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry, but that engraving looks like it was done at a fifth grade art class. That elephant!!!!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sorry, but that engraving looks like it was done at a fifth grade art class. That elephant!!!!

He looks like Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.