Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have booked a trip to RSA next May. Dates have not been engraved in stone as flights have not been booked and we have been trying to locate a suitable spot on the coast to chill for a few days after the hunt.

Today, the outfitter says there is another client who can only come at a specific time which overlaps with my time. I am being asked if we can adjust our hunt by a few days to accommodate the other hunter. Basically vacation first, then hunt.

I still have some flexibility, so I can change, although the outfitter says I am within my rights to say no.

Can I ask for compensation from the hunter or outfitter? You know, a free blesbok or a free day? Or am I being a jerk?

If you have been in a similar circumstance, what did you do? What would you do?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I was asked if another 2 guys came and hunted with another PH the same week I was there. They didn't really affect me but....I think I would have rather been alone but did not feel as though
it was worth making a stink over. Worked out in the end: got 2 extra meat Impala's and got to shoot an injured cow Eland so...
I would think being the nice guy helped. JMHO.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
doesn't hurt to ask for some compensation from the outfitter...

my guess is they will go for it because this way they can book 2 full hunts and will increase their profit even though they will lose a little bit to you

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like helping people if I can, and not asking for anything back.

Normally, the outfitter will show his appreciation for your gest with some extra but I would leave that to his freewill.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Flex.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I think everyone is different, so do what you think is best for the hunting....with regard to the vacation part of your trip...if you are going to the eastern cape...I did stay a day in Port Elizabeth at the Beach Hotel...very nice place,,right on the ocean, everyone was friendly. I would recommend it and I would stay there again next time I am in P.E. on my way to hunt.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
The outfitter is asking...if you don't want to say "No"
I would rather vaction before the hunt as I did. Gives time to rest and get on schedule from traveling and jet lag
Cape Town and Camp bay area is beautiful

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
The outfitter is asking...if you don't want to say "No"
I would rather vaction before the hunt as I did. Gives time to rest and get on schedule from traveling and jet lag
Cape Town and Camp bay area is beautiful

Agreed. My wife and I spent five days in Cape Town before our hunt and it worked out really well. I've found that after my safaris I'm ready to get home.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking as a Safari Business owner, I doubt I would offer or accept a "free animal" proposition. A free day is possible but only if it were available as we have the hunts back to back in most cases. Schedules are among the most complicated parts of the process.

It may not be well understood by those who don't do this, but the dates many hunters choose are not clear to them. You usually arrive a day later then you leave home. However you quite often get home the same day you leave.

The distance and time zones are a confusing issue for many infrequent travelers on safari for the first time. This is more complicated for the majority of Outfitters as the great majority of outfitters and PH's have never been out of Southern Africa and have never flown on a Commercial flight. For many this confusion leads to a lot of scheduling conflicts.

Dates on tickets are what we use to secure "etched in stone" time lines. Far too often we have hunters telling us they arrive on a certain day or leave on a certain day and the tickets don't match this when they arrive. Or they are at the airport wondering why nobody is there to fetch them!

The Safari travel arrangements and the dates booked are among the most complicated parts of the business. Those in RSA getting started in this business get a wake up call the first two years in business when they think they can handle all these things alone!

Be grateful that your outfitter is involved with this and talking with you directly. This is the part of the outfitting business that is a serious headache for keeping in order. Especially with late airline flight changes and delays.

I would put this nice gesture of yours " in the bank" you never know when you will need this done for you when you have a delay or missed flight etc.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AB

A few questions for you to look at.

What animals are you going after? The key dates may fall on the start or end of the prime time for your trophy animal. Ask your PH/outfitter what he sees as the down side for you.

I have learned to be flexible and have taken slots that were less that prime for the animals i had on my trophy list. However i had a great time.

I have shared my camp a few times and it worked out. It all depends on attitude and being able to hold a chat at the campfire.

As far as asking for a trophy animal, that is not a good thing to do, it may spoil your entire trip. I would never consider asking for an additional day. PH's are operating on a tight budget. Some PH will let you shoot camp meat for the staff or for bait for a future cat hunter that is arriving in camp. Heck you may stumble across a animals walking around with a snare on it leg and usually these are animals are not trophy quality and may be a free-bees for you to take.

As for areas after or prior to your safari. Location is key. As mentioned you have Cape town, Port Elisabeth, Durban and a few key cities on the coast that have many places to see and things to do.

Again i have done it both ways gone early and spent a few days prior to going into the field and a few days afterwards to do the same.

In 2014 i will go early and do some sight seeing and gift shopping. For what it worth when your safari is over you are ready to head home and the sights and shopping are not the same.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B3

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the opinions.

My first priority was to be there in the kudu rut, hence my arrival on May 15th. If that isn't messed up by being a few days late, I don't see a major problem. Although hunting first meant I was met at the airport, then after taken to the car rental place etc. I'm a newby world traveller and am rath scared especially carting around a rifle.

I wanted guidance as I had never booked before and don't know the protocols. Another problem I have, is that I rather like the outfitter and want him to do well. When we talk, it's like we have known each other for years. I don't know if I could have mustered the courage to ask for any consideration, although the devil in me was saying " what's in it for me?"

Thanks again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May 15 is early for kudu rut, it's the peak of the impala rut though. You will hear a 100lb animal make sounds in the dark that will curl your hair when you don't know what it is. I've had countless clients completely freak out hearing this in the dark walking back to the camp or pickup.

Kudu peak rut is usually late may well into mid June. Impala and kudu barely overlap.
However weather conditions of the year, will always influence this a bit too.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes I would ask for a free critter or two as the price they charge you is far above what they pay the land owner who usually collects the meat for personal or public consumption (read sale). This is exactly why "package" hunts are so cheap and why outfitters prefer a day rate with trophy fees.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Who are you hunting with?
I am going in July, and If I was asked to flex a day or two either way, I'd accept with no problem. Let the PH get to know you and what type of hunter you are, he'll show his appreciation.
I would not make it a contract issue, I think he'll show his gratitude and want to have you back as a future client and as a reference.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AB2506
I have booked a trip to RSA next May. Dates have not been engraved in stone as flights have not been booked and we have been trying to locate a suitable spot on the coast to chill for a few days after the hunt.

Today, the outfitter says there is another client who can only come at a specific time which overlaps with my time. I am being asked if we can adjust our hunt by a few days to accommodate the other hunter. Basically vacation first, then hunt.

I still have some flexibility, so I can change, although the outfitter says I am within my rights to say no.

Can I ask for compensation from the hunter or outfitter? You know, a free blesbok or a free day? Or am I being a jerk?

I wouldn't ask for compensation from the hunter or the outfitter but if I didn't really want to make the change I would just say no. Remember though that sometime in the future it may be you who needs someone else to change something for your convinience.

All that said, there is a bit too much changeing things in the hunting industry for the convinience of the outfitter and not the hunter. I believe that someone paying for a safari should receive what was advertised without last minute shenanigans.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AB

You are ahead of the rut for Kudu. The small bulls will be with the females when you are booked. You will have to look hard for the big Kudu bulls.

If you have the option to wait a few days for the start of your safari, i would do so. June is when the rut is on for Kudu.

If you have not booked your airline flight yet continue to shop for airfare. Plus look at different days to leave and return.

Last edited by Bwana338; 08/17/13.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your outfitter says it's within your rights to say no then I think it would not be a good idea to ask for compensation because he is letting you know way in advance, and as you say, nothing is cast in stone yet. If you walk into a shoe store and they do not have your size shoe at that moment are you going to ask for a free pair of sneakers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can be flexible with no hardship on yourself, then be a good guy and accommodate the request. Make a friend.

Chances are, the PH will appreciate your move and work hard to ensure your beer stay a little colder, and your kudu has horns a little longer.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari
If you can be flexible with no hardship on yourself, then be a good guy and accommodate the request. Make a friend.

Chances are, the PH will appreciate your move and work hard to ensure your beer stay a little colder, and your kudu has horns a little longer.

^^^^^^^^

That.

I often get asked what is best to leave for a tip, what can you do to have a good relationship with your PH etc....

Be a good client.... Be the client you would like to have if you were the PH....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I sent the Email a day or two ago advising that it was no problem changing dates.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.