Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Has anyone out there on the Campfire hunted with Gunter Schwalm of Omalanga Safaris? I had a chance to speak with one of the agents at DSC this week and am interested in a trip to Namibia but looking to get some additional information on some of the Namibia PH from some first hand accounts. They are just southeast of Etosha. Thanks.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you're headed to Namibia, you must check out Kowas Safaris. Top shelf family, fantastic hunting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for that rec. I will check it out.

JG, did you hunt there recently?

Last edited by duckster; 01/09/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've hunted there 3 times, 2014,2015,2016. Schedule permitting, I may go back this year, but it will probably be 2018. They have an 80% return hunter rate, so their dates stay pretty booked. I would not be at all surprised if 2017 is fully booked but I'd sure contact them and find out. Superb operation, family style, nothing real fancy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good to know, looking at 2018 to take my daughter and wife.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would highly recommend Makadi Safaris. I would gladly hunt again with them. They primarily offer Ranch hunting but have other concessions for Leopard, Buffalo and Elephant.

The ranch has large numbers of free roaming game and a large enclosure >2,000 acres for the more unusual game. I didn't hunt the fenced area as I preferred to walk or hunt from the high stands. I took a 60" Kudu and saw larger afterwards and a Cape Hartbeast that ranked #13 in the Safari Club records. I had opportunities to shoot springbok that also would have placed in the record book. I shot the wrong 2 and each was just a hair shy of a record. I would go for at least 10 days as it is possible to shoot 3 head of game a day. My only regret is I didn't have more money for trophy fees as this would have allowed taking multiples of the same species.

Jack and Eleanore O'Connor hunted with Makadi in I believe the 1960's. I really enjoyed hearing the stories about them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks.
I think I may have grabbed a brochure from Makadi at DSC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Omalanga Safaris are top notch.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
dukxdog - did you hunt there recently? Any insights?

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have hunted at Gunter's property in the recent years. I also know another fellow that hunted there earlier. There is not a lot for the wives to do if they do not want to ride in the truck or sit in the high seats with you.

Gunter is a fun guy and the tents are nice. They do a good bit of hunting from high seats (elevated blinds) overlooking water points. The farm had many gemsbok. It is an easy and relaxing hunt if you like that style of hunting. The other fellow that I know told me he shot some of his game from the truck, but we did most of ours from the high seats. We had to go to a neighbor's farm for warthog but otherwise stayed on Gunter's property (30,000 acres?).

I regret not making a side trip to see Etosha.

IC B3

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I forgot to mention that shots on the property will almost certainly not be long range. My shooting probably averaged around 100 meters.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for that report. I like spot/stalk/tracking better than over a waterhole. Did you have that option?

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I also like to spot and stalk or track but about the only stalking we did was in the process of walking quietly from the truck to the blinds. We did spot game around a water point from the truck a couple of times and quietly walked to a position where we could see the game and did not climb into the nearby high seat to look them over.

I did express my preference of hunting methods before the hunt. Most of Gunter's property is very thick, the ground is rocky, and most of the open areas are either roads or water points so it is fairly hard to hunt effectively on foot.

It would not be a bad idea to learn a few phrases in German before your hunt. English is spoken but German is the more common language Gunter and Reinhild.

The camp was clean, the food was good, and Gunter is a very funny guy. I may go back some day when my knees wear out and I learn to appreciate those high seats.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
For me, the excitement of African hunting is spot/stalk of it, watching the trackers do their magic. Hunting from stands is too much like whitetail hunting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted with Omalanga in 2008 and 2011. I hunted mostly spot and stalk in 2008. In 2011, with my daughter, we did a combination of both spot and stalk and blind hunting. The farm is close to Etosha, so day trips there are easily done.

What is on you list to hunt? Are you planning on any tours or sightseeing while in Namibia?

You may PM me if you have any questions. I have spent a lot of time in Namibia by myself and with family along and am happy to share with you what I know.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by duckster
For me, the excitement of African hunting is spot/stalk of it, watching the trackers do their magic. Hunting from stands is too much like whitetail hunting.

Not to mention, in the old African hunting circles, hunting a pan was frowned-upon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are interested in hunting Namibia, I'd talk to Jamy Trout.

Have heard very good things about Kowas as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the continued information! This will be a trip with my wife and daughter as one other couple. Not a real big game list -oryx, blesbuck, hartebeest, maybe zebra

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Definitely work out the details before you go. Makadi will also do photo safari's at either Etoshapan or the Watersberg Plateau but I preferred to do this on my own. Even though it was a ranch hunt I walked close to 100 miles in 10 days. It was nice we would stalk along a couple of miles and when done flash a mirror and the Safari car would show up.

Hunting the high seats or Hoch Sitz was interesting as there was a constant procession of wildlife to watch. Dieter would bring along a picnic basket complete with a couple bottles of fine SA wine. Although not my first choice in hunting methods it was very pleasant and some of the stands would accommodate the wife and daughter too. The stands were more conducive for photography and using big lenses that you would not want to carry stalking.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/01/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks.

Working on a safari for summer of 2018 so I have time to finalize all details.

How did you guys fly to Namibia? Through Frankfurt and then down?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.