Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was watching "Burke's Law" last night. The show's original airing was 1963. The case involved the murder of a famous big game hunter named Cable Roberts. Cable had been shot in his trophy room with his own rifle, and then hung on the wall like a trophy.

One of the detectives, who seemed to be up on the whole big game scene, noticed that whoever killed Cable had been another big game hunter. There was a shot to the chest at some distance with a .300 H&H with a finishing shot to the neck. The rest of the episode revolved around which of Cable's friends from safari had done him in.

1) Was it ever really customary to deliver a coup de grace to the neck?
2 Wouldn't it be a tad dangerous to walk right up to a lion(a film clip was shown as an example) that you didn't think was dead and plug him in the neck?
3) Wouldn't this risk really screwing up the mount?

BTW: The trail led back to Cable's brother, Paul Lynde, who basically played himself. In between whimpering, and sniveling, there was a confession that he did it. One of the big reasons was he couldn't stand to see all those beautiful animals reduced to trophies on the wall.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Was it ever really customary to deliver a coup de grace to the neck?"

I don't think so. It's hard to hit the spine, especially
on a lion with a mane.

"Wouldn't it be a tad dangerous to walk right up to a lion(a film clip was shown as an example) that you didn't think was dead and plug him in the neck?"

I think it would be.

"Wouldn't this risk really screwing up the mount?"

Maybe. Taxidermists can fix holes.

As far as the coup de grace is concerned, a shot in the chest or spine from 30 years or so away works best.

I once hunted with a guide in Wyoming who used a .22 Ruger handgun for a coup de grace in the brain. His maximum accurate range was maybe 15 feet, though.

One time I spined a Blesbok from about 125 yards. The legs were "dead" but the neck and head were very much alive. My PH wouldn't let me shoot it again but instead got out a knife and, grabbing a horn, stabbed it through the top of its head. I didn't think that was a very good idea.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As with most things African, it's not usually a good idea not to use the words never or always.

Do shots like that happen? - yes they do occasionally but not very often.

Offhand, I can think of 3 occasions where I've taken not quite the same, but somewhat similar shots. 1 was a Lion and 2 were Buffalo. On all 3 occasions, the animal had been spined and was effectively sitting or laying like a dog but was pretty well stuffed up. Each time, I ran up behind the animal and just whacked it at point blank range between the shoulder blades. With this shot, the bullet breaks the spine and then goes on through the heart and brings instant death........... you gotta be pretty damn sure the animal is actually paralysed rather than temporarily paralysed though before you do it or you just might find yourself in very deep doo doos.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, so it's no big , big game hunter tradition then-- didn't think so. It seemed like I would have heard of it before if it were so.

The neck seemed like a bum place for a shot-- coup de grace or otherwise. I'm just a lowly whitetail hunter. I always go for the heart and lungs for the first shot as well as the last.

Thanks again.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't recall whether I've ever put a finishing shot in the neck or not, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had the right angle. But I'm willing to use the neck for a first shot, too, under certain circumstances.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe it's geographical because everyone I know uses a Coup de Grace shot in the neck unless the animal is so near death that they can just cut the throat or stab the spine behind the head as they do in Africa.

Why would anyone destroy more meat with a body shot or ruin a good set of horns with a head shot??

I will say that the close up neck shot is easier with iron sights, but if you take the time to shoot at a golf ball size target at 10 feet with your scoped rifle you will know where it hits. Up close changes the bore scope alignment and you need to aim high with a scope up real close. This is also very good information to have in an up close charge, live or die situation with dangerous game. Always know where your bullet POI is in reference to bore alignment.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can never kill them too dead, but is is possible to not kill something enough. Hence one through the back of the neck to be a little more sure.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If it's good enough for the Chi Coms, it's good enough for me.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The coup de grace shot to the neck is common in my area. It must be a geographic thing like Ray said. It's a good way to kill an animal. Puts them right out.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YOur taxidermist will hate you.
And you have a larger vital target thats much more round in the brain/stem than you do in the weird shaped neck target. I've never understood the popularity of the neck once you sit down and see how much smaller that target is and a miss isn't always only a flesh wound, it can be as bad as a blown jaw off a head shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 25 yards the bullet first crosses the line of sight. At that distance grouse are head and neck shots with a 22. I have head shot grouse and rabbits with a 30-06 when only a single gun was carried. It is not a hard shot to make at all on the neck of a large game animal. We all brag we can shoot 2" at 100 on game which is 1/2 inch at 25. |That is plenty accurate enough gentlemen.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If that reply is to me, my response is why not go for the larger target that stops the brain. All the neck does is bleed out and paralyze the animal. The brain is centrally located from any angle, the neck spine is not in the center of the neck in all places, it varies in its location and you are putting a bullet into edible meat.

Just my take on it. But I agree, the neck isn't hard to hit, especially up close. My finish shots when needed are always to the head though. Assuming close range. And thats assuming not mounted. If mounting is an issue or if I"m afraid of the animal getting up I just dump another into the large vital target the lungs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Was it ever really customary to deliver a coup de grace to the neck?"

I don't think so. It's hard to hit the spine, especially
on a lion with a mane.

"Wouldn't it be a tad dangerous to walk right up to a lion(a film clip was shown as an example) that you didn't think was dead and plug him in the neck?"

I think it would be.

"Wouldn't this risk really screwing up the mount?"

Maybe. Taxidermists can fix holes.

As far as the coup de grace is concerned, a shot in the chest or spine from 30 years or so away works best.

I once hunted with a guide in Wyoming who used a .22 Ruger handgun for a coup de grace in the brain. His maximum accurate range was maybe 15 feet, though.

One time I spined a Blesbok from about 125 yards. The legs were "dead" but the neck and head were very much alive. My PH wouldn't let me shoot it again but instead got out a knife and, grabbing a horn, stabbed it through the top of its head. I didn't think that was a very good idea.

I have found it to be popular in RSA for the PH's to use a knife to severe the spinal cord at C1-C2 to put an animal down. I hate to say I'm not man enough for that. If not done quickly and accurately, the animal does protest enough to stir up my empathy. However, I get over it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't see the part about taxidermists can fix holes. Well if you've never been a taxidermist you are talking way out of turn. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. And we have to cut a MUCH larger hole in there than you put in it to start with, so that your screwup isn't visible and makes the mount look like crap later on..... Don't assume that a hole is nothing. Personally I charge for holes, especially those in the neck and those that are large. And have refused to mount some stuff due to holes. We do great work but are not God or magicians.

Now if its a tsx type hole, caliber in, double out, its almost always workable. But hitting neck bones rarely results in a small hole.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rost495

just directed in general terms. I do use TSX and am not a trophy hunter so my 25cents maybe does not apply in that case. Hitting the neck spine will disrupt function even if spinal cord is not severed. The vagus nerve carries impulse to heart and lungs and the knife into base of neck does the same thing. Sykes and Fairbourne developed a dagger in WW2 for the british commandoes to fill that very need, on humans.

In paramedicine we teach c3 c4 c5 keeps the diaphragm alive. A fracture in the fifth cervical or above shuts down the keep alive part of the animal. I can appreciate the difficulties a taxidermist could have with the destruction of hide by bone fragments etc.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes if you hit bone. but there is a lot of none bone in the neck. And the spine is not centered the whole way. You have to have a good understanding of anatomy first. Heck most folks talk a shoulder shot knocks a deer over, when in fact they are half ways up or higher and its eitehr hitting the spine or fragging into the spine. The spine in the neck moves around as it goes from shoulders to the C1. OTOH a high shot in the neck will knock them down and let em get up wiht a non fatal flesh wound, while a centered one works fine and yet if you miss a few inches low you are through a vein or artery if you are lucky, and if not, flesh, windpipe, esophagus etc.... and that generally is a slow death days later.

Now definitions of neck. if you are around C1/C2 thats all a head shot to me. Neck means middle of the neck between the head and shoulders and thats one I've never liked. Just me I guess. I can use the correct caliber(not small) and if I hit within 3-4 inches of center of the brain in any direction I have instant death. Miss the neck by 3-4 inches on our deer and you can actually miss the whole neck, much less end up with a wound.

And my take, the neck is actually a small version of actual chest vitals. Its not round. It can be more dynamic than the chest but thats an aside topic. but the target is long, narrow and oblong basically. Same as the vitals in the chest. IE hit too high and forward in the chest and you are over the spine. Yet hit high and back and you are in vitals. Low and forward and vital. Low and back, behind the diaphragm. Seems not fair that the targets are not round, but thats life.

I do realize the neck target is a much better one up close to C1 and the lower jaw but again thats not really neck to me. Its below that when the Cspine joint bones become small and start snaking their way into hte backbone area that it gets tricky.

Heck when a lot of folks try to take both front shoulders out to disable a deer, especially where the neck ties in, its not the shoulders that do the deed, its hitting the spine that does. And the spine shot as you then get further back certainly has more bone mass area to shock.

Jeff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Patching a bullet hole is pretty simple job for a good taxidermist IMO..but I do carry a solid or two for dispatching game, just an old habit from hunting in Africa so much, where one usually has a solid or two handy...

A neck shot can be from behind the ear to where the shoulder joins the body btw...and I have never had any problem hitting the spine or at least I cannot remember ever missing it, but at my age I can forget anything! smile

Rost495,
I agree with you a shot in the jaw is the worst wounding shot there is to be made, it results in a vile death of a fine animal. That is something to consider in every case when you think about a head or high neck shot.

Last edited by atkinson; 12/18/08.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The other vile shot is the low neck shot through the esophagus.... which is why a neck shot I'll never take over the larger target of the head anyday. High head from teh back like I tend to take, well if you screw that up and blow a jaw off you are not much of a shot. I'll qualify that with the fact I'd take a head shot on everything unless I mount it, but only if I am confident of the shot. Exactly like a long shot. I'm not good enough to make them every time and defer to pure lungs and ribs often enough like most folks should.

As to comments on sewing holes, small ones yes, but unless you've ever dealt with something like a short haired impala with a small neck to start with and a 2inch plus exit hole, you don't know jack IMO. Ain't enough there to work with and make it invisible like new. Of course lots of folks are not picky about mounts and as long as a slob taxidermist gets is sewn shut so you don't see yellow form, they are happy. I am not.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Patching up a brain shot is about as impossible as can be, as it in many cases blows off the horns and the top of the head,..I am not sure where your coming from on this, but I have no problem where you shoot your animals, that is totally up to you..

BTW I have shot about as many Impala in the neck as anyone I suspect and it sometimes does damage but mostly does not, but if I intended to mount the animal then I would not shoot it in the head or high in the neck, rather at the shoulder junction in the spine and probably with a solid as I carry a few of those all the time...Also I know where the spine lies on all animals, just like I know where the heart/lung/brain is located. That is something that every hunter should know I would think.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
rost495,
Jeez bud your about 3 ft. from the target, surely you can spine one at that range, I can...but hey its your game, the choice is yours and its really a non issue, its a matter of choice, I am sure about anything works at that Coup de Grace range..Even a rock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.