Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Quick report for now, more to come later. I harvested 7 animals. All one shot kills (love that Barnes Triple Shock bullet). I found 2 of the bullets. No tracking....All luggage, gun cases, etc... there and back not problems. It all went off better than I could have dreamed it would.....I will get some pictures up after the jet lag.....

REJ

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"I will get some pictures up after the jet lag"

just make sure you do....all us Africa hunting wannabes are depending on you for another vicarious hunt......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
REJ
Welcome back. My wife has been asking If you have posted daily. I can't wait to read reports and see photos. I am glad there were no major glitches
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
REJ, glad it all went off without a hitch, I'm waiting to see the pics and hear the stories too....
Sounds like after the jet lag you will need to check out a couple threads on other forums...those Barnes TSXs just "pencil on through" and don't open up...haven't you heard? wink
I dunno, ours sure worked good on a couple trips to Namibia, could be the south of the equator, different hemisphere, coriolis effect thing....... whistle
Anyway, anxious to hear/see more, especially if this was your first trip!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Please keep us posted.... Pics and safari co..... Details ma'man..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear you made it back!

How did the rest of the bunch do?

I sure hope you took lots of pics.

Mark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude..without pictures...it's all talk!! I would like to know about your travel route too....rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
REJ,

You know that

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MoranoGrande; 05/10/09.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Barnes do open up...Awesome bullet! Double in size and retain their weight. Great choice...

REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Ok, I'm not much of a story teller but here goes. The Kudu were in rut so where there were cows there were bulls close. The first day we went into the hills. During the day we came on 2 different groups of cows each with a big bull. We could not get close enough due to being spotted by the cows. Day 2 was spent hunting Gemsbok (story for another day). Day 3 was back to the hills and we spotted a large bull napping under a tree but it was ~600yds away. Again he was alerted by a cow during the stalk. Day 4 was back to the hills. We spotted three different bulls but all were not mature enough. Day 5,as we were leave the camp we spotted a group of cows ~ 300 yrds from the camp. There was a small bull with the herd. It was early (0600) at first light. Off to the left of the herd was a big bull. The bull was quarterd away out about 75 yrds. I put the cross hairs on the seam behide the left shoulder and squeezed it off. The bull dropped in his tracks. I was using a 300 wsm with barnes 180 triple shock. The bullet went thru the bull and exited from the front of the right shoulder. Happy Hunter........more to come...

REJ

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Verrrry nice!

Looking forward to more pics!

Mark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
very nice bull kudu. nice wide spread on the horns, and a handsome face.

keep the stories and photos coming

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
REJ you did good.... Who made your 300wsm???

BTW that pic looks like Texas.... smile

OK Take a few hours off then back to the computer for another safari story....

grin

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Beautiful Kudu, congrats. I like the story, it sounds like a great hunt.

Thanks for sharing!

REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We went out after lunch for a stalk on Gemsbok. We spotted a herd about the same time they spotted us. The Gemsbok bolted from the brush to the right. As I followed the herd with my eyes I noticed a Blue Wildebeest and several Red Hartebeest exiting to the left. This ole boy stood his ground as if he dared us to invaded his bush. He was about 155 yards facing us with a slight right turn. I aimed for the area between his left shoulder and neck. He dropped in his tracks. The skinner found the bullet back in his stomach. Happy hunter again......

REJ

REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Day 2 was a slow start. All the trackers were out looking for a Black Wildebeest that a bow hunter and taken the night before. They were back at camp with the Wildebeest by 0900. We went out at 0900 and started tracking a herd of Gemsbok thru the bush. We followed tracks for 2 hours. As we walked thru the bush the guide dropped down in the grass. I followed. He had spotted a Gemsbok off to the right at about 100 yards. She was facing us, quartered away. Her head was in the bush so I could not see her horns. The guide said she was good but we could not move around and stick our heads up to view because she was watching us. The guide worked up the shooting sticks. I chanced one look to get my position. I stood up, closed the bolt, aimed for the area between the right shoulder and neck, and then she dropped. I think the bullet broke her neck because I hit her to high for heart. I was really glad because I had heard all kind of stories about if the shot placement was not correct these guys could run forever. Happy Hunter.......How about them Barnes Triple Shock. They seam to work pretty good shotu of the equator.

REJ

REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Went out on the plains for an afternoon hunt. Put away the 300 WSM and got out the 7mm mag. Shooting a 150 gr Scirocco. We got out late, around 1600. We had stalked several Springbok ( on hands and knees) without success. They would always spot us and take off. We had crawled to a clump of grass trying to get on a group of Springbok and they all split up and ran. This guy just happen to go the wrong way. He ran towards us. He stopped and was watching us. He was 255 yards off. I knew that I would not get any closer. We could not stand up so the guide brought the sticks down low enough so I could shoot from a sitting position. The Springbok presented a side shot and I pulled the trigger. The Springbok stumbled around for 20 uards or so and fell. This was the hardest animal of the hunt to take....

Just as soon as the guide got the animal field cleaned he pointed across the plains and said Blesbok. Within and hour we were on the Blesbok. We spotted this male out by himself in a grassy area. We were able to stalk up to about 200 yards. Again the animal presented a nice side shot. The Blesbok stumbled around about 20 yard and dropped......

[Linked Image]

This was the best trophy of all. This was a very old Duiker. The guide said he was ~10 years old. He was blind in his right eye. We were out in the high grass hunting Duiker and spotted him out about 75 yards. I shot him in the right shoulder with a 22 Hornet....

[Linked Image]

Then it was down to the best sport of all. Varmint hunting.....Shot this Jackal off the high rack at about 75 yards with the 22 Hornet. Its going to look great as a full body mount.
Then it was time to get on the big bird and return to reality..

Sad Hunter.....But it was so cool....I could not have dreamed it any better.....Already planning a 2011 trip.

REJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
REJ: REALLY Really nice stuff...one of those reasons I like Namibia is the trophy quality is usually there, and you got it!
Many Congrats!
Soooooo, when are you going back???? wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
REJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There were 4 hunters in the group. We shot 23 big animals, a warthog, and 2 jackals. Us varmint hunters could not pass up on the jackels....
I had a Remington model 700 300 wsm that I had dropped in a Richards Microfit walnut stock. Leupold 4x14 50mm BC scope, and Rifle Basix trigger set at 1.5#. Score High out did the muzzle brake job. I was shooting Federal 180 grain Triple Shock.
The Remington 7mm mag was in a Richards Micofit thumb hole stock, Burris 4x14 scope, Rifle Basix trigger set at 1.5#. Shooting Remington 150 Scriocco.
I used the PH 22 Hornet on the Jackal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
REJ, very nice and thanks for sharing. Namibia seems to be "the place" for many hunters these days. Glad you had and great trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.