Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Zambian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Hi All,

One of your members suggested I join this forum.

Very briefly - I am a PH and part own the private Munyamadzi hunting reserve in Zambia's Luangwa valley. I also freelance for Pro Hunt Zambia in the Kafue region. I wrote the Zambian chapters for the African Hunting Guide and the Safari Guide.

Feel free to contact me if you have any queries or seeking advise regarding hunting in this country. I will try my best to give you an unbiased opinion.

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited by Zambian; 09/25/10.
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Good to have you,man! Just booked my first hunt to Namib and the guys here have been fantastic in lessening my research and making solid decisions. They ain't saving mee any money,though.

Enjoy your time on the 24.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Andrew, welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay at the fire.

maddog

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
welcome!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome from here as well. Zambia is a country that
I very much wish to hunt in someday.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Welcome also.
I had the pleasure of hunting in your area some years ago in the days of Luangwa Safaris. It was a wonderful experience then and I hear it hasn't changed much.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the "Fire" Andrew.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome Andrew!!!

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Andrew Welcome to the fire. Pull up a log and visit a spell. Hope your stay is enjoyable and we all can share. Once again
welcome to the fire. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Andrew, Welcome! We can use a Zambian expert around here. I've had the good fortune to hunt Zambia twice, and am itching to go to Luangwa. My PH there is Johnny du Plooy. Hope he is friend and not foe.

Please be generous with your stories and opinions. Most of us that hang out on the Africa Forum long to sit around a campfire, sipping a cold one, listening to stories as well as to the lions and hyenas.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Z
Zambian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Thanks all.

Hatari I do know Johnny well and he is many miles north of me. You would know Alister Norton as well? Alister has just been run over by a Buffalo and I think he busted his ankle but otherwise got away lightly.

I will post a story regarding a goring incident on the Campfire forum.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You had seemed to take issue with African Sporting Gazette about publishing a statement you made about your stance on Leopards with dogs. It was listed as a letter to the editor(as opposed to an article; ASG vol.16; issue 1; pg.6)

Any comment on that issue or the accuracy of the content with in, that was published ?

In that statement you also list the use of lights also as "unethical". Do you feel this way even if legal?

I have read where some cats cannot, for fact they are harassed and educated, be taken in daylight. Targeting these animals; do the rules change? Or is it black and white for you? Where legal of course.

Last edited by dinsdale; 09/26/10.
Z
Zambian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Dinsdale,

I fell out with the publisher regarding his advertising of hunting Leopard with dogs and indeed canned Lion. Subsequently I had my subscription pulled last year.

I believe some of those comments have now been published.

Note I have no qualms about hunting with dogs however the modern practice of hunting Leopard with dogs is a sensitive issue and one that could easily fuel the antis. If some of these cats are difficult to hunt then so be it.

In Zambia our game laws are dictated by fair chase and the use of lights, electronic equipment, dogs etc is strictly prohibited. I enjoy the hunting of cats and the methods we employ makes for good hunting.

If it is legal then so be it. Ethics is a difficult topic but as a professional I was taught fair chase by another and presume this practice was dictated by ethics. Therefore to ignore or deviate from these regulations maybe construed as 'unethical'.

Hope that answers your questions.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes, answers them for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome, Zambian! Look forward to your input.

Zambia is really high on my list when I finally go for buffalo. Going on our second plains game hunt in RSA, next Apr. Next trip will be for buffalo. RSA, simply costs too much, and Zim holds no appeal to me. Looking at Zambia. The PH we hunt with, has a good friend who's a retired PH, and hunted Zambia. Hope to talk to him, while we're there.

Jeff

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Welcome Zambia,

as someone involved in the industry in five countries let me be the first to say your answer as to ethics was well said. We are all products of our mentors, and of the laws we grew up with. here in the states, it is legal in some places to hunt our whitetail deer dogs with dogs, in most states it is not. But, in those states that it is, it is a highly highly held tradition.

Ethics are quite similar to opinions. If it is legal, and if the hunter/ph decided to take a leopard over dogs for instance, let us pray that it is a fully mature male, and nor something just to mark the ticket.

Z
Zambian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Jeff,

Let me know when you are ready to hunt Buffalo and I can introduce you to a number of renowned operators here.

Note that the leases for all government concessions expire end 2012.

Z
Zambian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
DanD,

I took a lot of heat from ASG, AR and others regarding my stance.

As you have illustrated there are some traditions that are held in high esteem and these traditions are historic and should be protected and nurtured.

I felt the recent methods of hunting Leopard with dogs was little more than a modern quick fix method of securing your trophy. However if these cats were troublesome to farmers and considered problem animals and dogs were the only option then fine by me.

Many did claim that it was indeed sporting and much more exciting that conventional methods. I tend to disagree and find the hunting of this wary and beautiful cat to be one of the purest of sports.

Others claimed that they had spent good money and had not come away with a Leopard. The hunt being frustrating and monotonous. I would argue that they were not hunting in a good Leopard area or maybe the wrong time of year. On my Luangwa reserve we have a policy that we will downgrade the daily rate to that of a plains game hunt if the hunter does not take a Leopard. We have yet to enforce this policy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zambian
Thanks all.

Hatari I do know Johnny well and he is many miles north of me. You would know Alister Norton as well? Alister has just been run over by a Buffalo and I think he busted his ankle but otherwise got away lightly.

I will post a story regarding a goring incident on the Campfire forum.

I do know Alister, and hope he recovers quickly. Might be a good story for the African forum, especially for those who fancy untraditional cartridges for buffalo. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will do, thanks!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.