Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"A rogue leopard believed to have killed - and eaten - up to 15 villagers, including 10 small children over the past year is being hunted by Nepalese wildlife officials.
The severed head of the latest victim, a 4-year-old boy, was found on Saturday in a forested area nearly 400 miles west of the capital, Kathmandu. The Kathmandu Post reported the boy was playing in the courtyard of his house when the leopard struck, killing the boy then dragging the body into the forest. Police say at least one leopard with a taste for human flesh is on the loose, but that there could be others.
Last week, Nepalese officials offered a bounty of 25,000 rupees (approximately $280) for anyone who could bring in the animal dead or alive. The bounty amounts to several months wages for an average Nepali villager. Of the 15 victims so far, two-thirds are children from remote
villages. So far, there is no indication that any adult males have been attacked.
"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My money would be on the leopard living immediately by neighborhoods due to some physical handicap preventing proper aliment.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love reading Capstick writing on Corbett's leopards. I was bothered (like I was when I saw Jaws and then went to the beach) with the leopards climbing through open windows and biting through people's skulls in their sleep, then dragging them out and sometimes up a tree. A 150 pound cat can drag me up a tree! That's some powerful animal. Cunning and smart too. I'd be more than a little scared to be camping out in leopard country.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That should be quite true. I recall some years ago a leopard in Kruger park killing a school kid walking home from school with two friends. Leopard shows up and kills the one. They found the leopard living almost exclusively in the staff village where the authorities killed it.

Was an old tom with some deformity making it hard to kill his own food. When they got it the local dogs and cats stopped diappearing also.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Pieter,
I seem to recall a story of a Leopard living in a J'Berg suburb a number of years ago. It lived on dogs. A woman came home to find it asleep on her bed and the remains of her half eaten Poodle. Carn't remember if the SAPS shot it or if it was captured.
Its amazing how close they can live to Humans.
Whilst fishing in India I used to see fresh pug mags near the river in a fishing camp every morning. Its was an adult and cubs. I used to feed the camp dog which I named "Susan" It used to sleep ouside my ten. In the early hours she kicked off barking. I got the flash light and stood outside the tent and scanned around. It was 2:30am . In the light I caught a set of green eyes stareing back at me at about 50 paces. No sign of the cubs though.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Paul, wonder why the leopard had to eat a poodle? Next time it should eat a liberal.

Nice story about India. So who in your life is/was Susan? wink

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Pieter,
I asked one of the camp staff what her name was and he said some great long unpronounceable name. So I said that i will call her Susan, no real reason,just came out with it. She was good at keeping monkeys from the tent. I have fished the same camp three times now and she always sleeps outside the tent.
The night of the Leopard I let her stay in the tent under the camp bed.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good story!

Gotta love dogs.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazing Paul to imagine that dog making it with the time between your trips. A dog with guts.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Pieter,
Its a tough life for dogs in India. With snakes, croc's and Leopards around you wonder how she has survived. Last time I saw her, she looked like she had had pups. Don't know what had happened to them though.
Thinking back, I was woken on another time in the early hours. It sounded like branches been broken of trees. Really close to the tent. Thinking that it was an elephant near the tent,I got the flash light and went out side. Susan was curled up on a chair staring into the darkness but unconcerned. I shone the flashlight towards the noise. There was two Chitral Stags(spotted deer) antler's locked going around in cirlcles, I sat in another chair next to Susan and watched them for about 10 min's before they moved off. I took a photo of them but they were about 40ft away and the flash didn't catch them very well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man that sounds like the type of thing you can tell your grandchildren about. Bet you did not get much sleep after that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in that part of Nepal the spring of '76. It was some pretty rough country then. I imagine it has not changed much. The local people were very hardy but jovial. I agree the leopard must be old or infirm.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Pieter, with all the mis-advenures over the years , I think I will end up boring any future grandkids to tears!

Hi Randy,
The Nepalease are very hardy, just take a look at The Gurkhas! They are also very lovley people. Back in the early 90's I had a fall whilst treaking and was looked after by some ex-Gurkhas. I was given a Khukri when I left , which I still have.
Infact I have a bit of a collection now.
Cheers,
Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in alot of ways leopards are like our coyotes, living close to people doesnt phase them unlike some of the big cats....like the yote they are the right size to be really adaptable, able to hunt everything from rats to large animals so its no big deal to them to live in a city....

not all maneaters are old or infirm, in the wild a favorite food of the leopard is a baboon and to a leopard we are nothing but a big baboon without the impressive teeth...plenty of maneater leopards have been perfectly healthy, a few have even been above average specimens, very healthy and fit individuals....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we are talking about big cats, I have a question.

For any of you people who live in an area where there are a lot of Mountain Lions, has anyone ever hear one scream? I have heard conflicting reports about whether they can or will scream, instead of roar like a lion or leopard.

What about a bob cat? Can or will they scream?

The area I grew up in, 1940s, was very remote at the time, and there were rumors of Mountain Lions, Cougars, and what most people called them, Panthers. I don't remember anyone ever saying they saw one, but I do remember hearing something screaming, and other people heard it, also.

It was said to be a Panther, but, as I said, no one that I can remember seeing one.

I remember one time, when I was about 7 years old, my brother who was about 2, were out in the yard playing, and one cut loose very close by. My mother ran out of the house, grabbed and picked up my brother, and grabbed me by the arm and ran into the house, closing and locking the doors.

That was not the only time I heard it, but I still don't know if it was a Panther or a bob cat.

So, another question is, does a bob cat scream? Panther or bob cat, it sounds a lot like, but not exactly like, a woman being torn limb from limb, probably the scariest sound I have ever heard.

Oh, and there are mountain lions in Georgia, or there was at least one, anyway. My wife and I both saw it, sometime in the late 60s, in North Georgia.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes mountain lions scream, heard it myself...kind of spooky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot one that was screaming at my wife and I while deer hunting.

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Yes mountain lions scream, heard it myself...kind of spooky"

Then I guess the screams we heard were actually from a mountain lion.

And, you are correct...it is very spooky, especially to a young kid and the way my mom grabbed my brother and I and drug us into the house, it must be spooky to Mothers, also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by paul375
Hi Pieter, with all the mis-advenures over the years , I think I will end up boring any future grandkids to tears!

Hi Randy,
The Nepalease are very hardy, just take a look at The Gurkhas! They are also very lovley people. Back in the early 90's I had a fall whilst treaking and was looked after by some ex-Gurkhas. I was given a Khukri when I left , which I still have.
Infact I have a bit of a collection now.
Cheers,
Paul

To have a khukri is to have a true survival knife. I use one exclusively when I am in the bush. About ten years ago I was teaching survival courses up north to native Canadians and was using my khukri while constructing a camp. An elder lady came over and asked to see the khukri. She looked it over and grinned at me. She said "That is not a white man's knife." I told her its story and she nodded approvingly. She also used the knife to clean fish, skin a caribou and butcheer it and then gave it back to me.

About a month later I bought a cold steel khukri and sent it with my wife to give to Christine as a gift when she went in to deliver some first aid training. Christine was pleased with the gift and told my wife I was a soundrel. In her tradition men gave knives as gifts when offering proposals. Chritine's son told me the kukri was bequeathed to him when she died so it is now a second generatioal gift.

I have a huge appreciation of the Nepalese people. Thecountry folk I knew were honest and brave and wrote the book on toughness and honour.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have several Khukri's all of which I have been given over the years, except the Cold Steel one which I bought back inthe early 90's and its prooved to be a very usful tool. Cold steel knives are vey good. I have the Khukri, SRK and an Outdoors man Lite. The Khukri is great for quatering woodland Red Deer that I car't get the Quad to.
A mate of mine's father fought with the Gurkha's at Imphal during WW2. They were and still are tough guy's
You may find this link of interest.
http://www.nepalkukrihouse.com/Kukri-Info/12_Kukri-Making.php
Cheers,
Paul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 27 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.