Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I somehow got a wild hair and decided I want to go hunting in Africa.

Purchased a CZ 550 FS/Mannlicher in 9.3X62 off of a gentleman in Arizona via the Rokslide forum.

Went into a local shop and they had the perfect scope on the clearance table, Meopta Optika6 1-6X24 with an illuminated German#4

Ordered a set of Warne QD rings in medium height thinking they should be a perfect height…this Meopta has got a massive magnification adjustment ring diameter and they wouldn’t clear, returned them and got highs.

The highs arrived this morning and they 99% fit but there is minor rubbing but not enough to impede movement.

Picked up 5 boxes of PPU 285Gr Soft Points from PowderValley for $2.15 per round delivered, not cheap but by no means bad.

Czech rifle in a German Caliber with a Czech scope with a German reticle

Took it out last Saturday and shot some milk jugs, the recoil was noticeable but by no means intolerable.

Now comes the expensive part, saving for the trip and figuring out what guide.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like you already dangerous.

Good round. I had one in a CZ, really accurate and recoil not bad. I traded mine, no plans to go to Africa.

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Great post and love your rifle which will do great in Africa.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you reload, here's a load that worked for me.

I noticed it was shat 11 yrs ago, today. How about that; it should still work.

I got it from an article that our own Mule Deer, (JB) wrote in 2008 for Handloader Mag. Here's a summary.

I didn't try the 285 NPT, but would for sure if I was going to Africa.

BG powder can be hard to find, I'm fortunate to have big jug. It was JB's fav powder with that bullet and as you can see, very accurate.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Got a CZ Model 550 American in 9.3x62 from my wife for Christmas years ago. I like it so much I haven't shot my 375 H&H since I got it. Great round and great rifles. I handload but will admit that the Seller & Bellot soft point in 286 grs grouped really well. I bought 6 or 7 boxes on sale to shoot for the brass and it was accurate enough that I kept 2 boxes as emergency rounds if I ever run out of handloads.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're very well equipped for your first African safari! Congratulations on a fine rifle. I am a fan of the 9.3x62. I've taken gemsbok, kudu, giraffe, and local game like elk with mine. It's a wonderful cartridge and your rifle is a very solid choice as well. That PPU ammo is accurate, effective on softer big game and economical to shoot. When loaded with a tougher bullet pushed little faster, your 9.3 is a dangerous game capable cartridge in a handy, affordable package. My 9.3x62 is accompanying me to Mozambique in July, my fifth hunting safari. I hope you are as pleased with your purchase as I have been. Happy hunting!

Last edited by castnblast; 03/09/24.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Beautiful rifle!
I recommend that anyone who is using a 9.3x62 on cape buffalo become very proficient at cycling the bolt for a follow up shot or two.
Brian

D
D
The 9.3mm rifles are really hard hitters, I have a CZ as well and a Swede Mauser in 9.3x57 that I use as a woods gun. The 57 is light and will take care of any beast. I have a 286 gn mold using Wheel weight and lead, sized and a copper gas check swagged on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=Brian9]Beautiful rifle!
I recommend that anyone who is using a 9.3x62 on cape buffalo become very proficient at cycling the bolt for a follow up shot or two.

This should be the case with any rifle and caliber or chambering not just 9.3x62's.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My first trip to Africa was in 2002 and I took a Cliff LaBounty rebored FN Mauser in 9.3x62. The original 250 gr X worked well. I am currently looking at a return trip to Namibia for 2025 and will likely take that rifle along.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kowas Safaris Namibia......can't miss with this outfit.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I am in discussions with them but have never been disappointed with who I have chosen prior whether SA, Zim or Namibia.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Not just for Africa. Works good here too

A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by castnblast
You're very well equipped for your first African safari! Congratulations on a fine rifle. I am a fan of the 9.3x62. I've taken gemsbok, kudu, giraffe, and local game like elk with mine. It's a wonderful cartridge and your rifle is a very solid choice as well. That PPU ammo is accurate, effective on softer big game and economical to shoot. When loaded with a tougher bullet pushed little faster, your 9.3 is a dangerous game capable cartridge in a handy, affordable package. My 9.3x62 is accompanying me to Mozambique in July, my fifth hunting safari. I hope you are as pleased with your purchase as I have been. Happy hunting!

My plan is to use the PPU for some local Alabama hunting, rifle practice and general fun like blowing up milk jugs.

For Africa I’m thinking TTSX, Aframes or solids(Cape buffalo) though I’m undecided.

A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I am in discussions with them but have never been disappointed with who I have chosen prior whether SA, Zim or Namibia.

I appreciate the leads on Kowas.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice rifle and nice pictures ,thanks for posting ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A couple of years back I put together a matched pair of "if I ever go back to Africa" rifles in 7x57 and 9.3x62. They are Interarms Mark Xs with Mannlicher-style stocks, Warne QR rings/bases, and Redfield 2-7x scope that Iron Sight Inc. in Tulsa serviced and installed their heavy/thick German-style reticle. Both rifles shoot good enough groups, even with the enormously thick reticles, and the 9.3x62 does particularly well with the 286 grain Partition over 55 grains of H4895.

I'm unlikely to ever shoot anything, or anyone, dangerous with either rifle, but I am confident that the 9.3x62 with 286 grain Partition has what it takes to penetrate deep and break bones on any of the plains game that I'd be interested in hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry but I have to ask, about how much does it cost to hunt Africa on one of the "cheaper" hunts now?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
JD 45.
No shame in asking. It just means that you are looking after your money. I would start looking on the web. There are lots of African outfitters who have to reduce their herds for one reason or another. They will be glad to hear from you. If they are not that is their problem.
Check for example the link below.
https://www.discountafricanhunts.com/hunts/beginners-african-hunting-safari-package.html

Good hunting,
Brian

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
JD 45.
No shame in asking. It just means that you are looking after your money. I would start looking on the web. There are lots of African outfitters who have to reduce their herds for one reason or another. They will be glad to hear from you. If they are not that is their problem.
Check for example the link below.
https://www.discountafricanhunts.com/hunts/beginners-african-hunting-safari-package.html

Good hunting,
Brian

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.