Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the

Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles

Before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the

Battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh

Batery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to

Drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and

You have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your

Average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of

Electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I

Looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16

Per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the

Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that

Gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs

$46,000.

So our government wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that

7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Volts are so expensive that I doubt that anyone who actually cares about saving fuel dollars will be buying them. If you can buy a $20,000 car and $20,000 of gas for your $40,000, which could be taken as the most economical??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16

Per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the

Volt using the battery.

Looking at my utility bill I used 238KWH last month and was charged $23.62 or ~10 cents per KWH. You might want to double check those numbers or call your utility!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Not my numbers. As I said it's from Eric Bolling.
But it doesn't even include battery disposal at the end of battery life.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
from Forbes.com and a search on the highest power rates in the country:
The highest prices per kilowatt hour can be found at the furthest reaches of the country. Isolated Honolulu, which needs to import most of its fuel, has the highest rates, at 21.77 cents. New York, which is isolated in its own way--it is difficult to build transmission into the city--is second at 21.27 cents. Most of the other most expensive places can be found on the coasts, like Long Beach, Calif., and Boston, with prices in the range of 15 to 17 cents per kilowatt hour.
Since the power rate figures are total BS, I have no reason to believe any of the rest of article either.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus one. Fox being fair and balanced yet again.

Electric cars could work in cities. Dunno.

What's truly stupid is that we even have to suffer hybrids and electric cars. Our dirty diesel up till a few years ago, and CARB, kept us from having proper high- mileage vehicles. Which is to say, Japanese turbo-diesels. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Auris

~50 mpg with the diesel engine.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drove a VW Jetta diesel in the early 90's that would do anything any of these would. The downside was that you'd take your life into your hands passing anyone.

My brother has been picking up VW TDI's for the sales fleet, they go OK and give 40+ mpg...no batteries, no subsidies, etc.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, lets use the NYC rates since that's the area where Bolling lives.
16 kwh @ $0.2127 = $3.40 per charge, divided by 25 miles = $0.14 per mile.
That's 40% more than a gasoline engine getting 32 mpg. That's no ringing endorsement for a car that nobody wants or can afford.

Remember, electric cars really run on coal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Displaced emissions and outright lies are the bastion of those who support electric cars.

Look, look, it does zero to sixty in x seconds...it's almost like a real car. No one really takes into account that it takes the same amount of energy, no matter the source, to make a car enjoyable to drive.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Amen, brother.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Plus one. Fox being fair and balanced yet again.

Electric cars could work in cities. Dunno.

What's truly stupid is that we even have to suffer hybrids and electric cars. Our dirty diesel up till a few years ago, and CARB, kept us from having proper high- mileage vehicles. Which is to say, Japanese turbo-diesels. smile

Sorry. Not FOX numbers. Don't know who added them. Here is the report: http://video.foxnews.com/v/1430236461001/eric-bolling-test-drives-chevy-volt/

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed that the electric car runs on coal.

Kcih, yeah, my wife wanted a TDI Jetta some years ago. However they have a brutal rep for nickle and diming you to death. Drivetrain was supposedly good; everything else sucked. More recently the drivetrains are even suspect (tranny). I did some looking into it after the Land Crusher got totaled last year because we at least considered a TDI.

This is why I spec'd a Japanese turbo diesel. A Toyota, Honda, or perhaps AWD Subaru that gets great mileage?! Sign me up!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno Jeff, they seem to be doing pretty well.

I'll have to admit that the new ones are a far cry from the simplicity of the mechanically injected ones of my youth, and the lack of power.

The base issue is more to do with the fact that we have very simple technology at hand to accomplish what is easily accomplished, but the powers that be demand we go about it in the least responsible manner...and the least attainable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was stuck inside a Chevy dealer a few weeks ago. The wheels had fallen off my S-10, and I was in getting a replacement. While they were cooking the numbers for me, I had the dubious pleasure of sitting with another salesman for a half hour who thought he could sell me a Volt.

Yikes! I feel sorry for that man. How they got his head wrapped around the Volt must have taken serious surgery. He was telling me how easy they are to use and how cheap to run and how I could do my 80 mile commute without ever touching the gasoline. I got out of there and I felt like I wanted to stick a hose up my nose and irrigate my brain.

BTW: I decided to keep the S-10 and put money down on a new Silverado. The 'Rado has a V8, but gets comparable mileage to the V6 S-10. It cost less than the S-10 did back in 2002. I think I got a good deal. The S-10 is going to be retired to the farm-- don't know yet if it will be the new farm truck or the new deer blind. We'll see.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Exactly. Changing one form of energy to another is never as efficient as direct use. I have my suspicions about all hybrid vehicles for that reason. Maybe it's somewhat efficient to run a small gas engine at a constant rpm and store that energy in a battery as opposed to an engine subject to the whims of the operator...... but I'd have to crunch the numbers myself to believe it. All because of a rule in energy conversion..... there is always some loss.

I think the final truth will be that electric, as currently produced, is at greater cost and polution.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
don't we have rolling blackouts in this country during peak use. what would. 20 million electric cars do to the grid.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How is it that my 19 years old Accord can get 35+ highway and 24+ city using gas and it is all we can do to match that nearly 20 years later?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
How is it that my 19 years old Accord can get 35+ highway and 24+ city using gas and it is all we can do to match that nearly 20 years later?

I wondered the same thing. If you check the weight of your 19 year old Accord and interior space you'll probably see it weighs a lot less and has less room than the current year. Safety usually adds weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmack

Exactly. Changing one form of energy to another is never as efficient as direct use. I have my suspicions about all hybrid vehicles for that reason. Maybe it's somewhat efficient to run a small gas engine at a constant rpm and store that energy in a battery as opposed to an engine subject to the whims of the operator...... but I'd have to crunch the numbers myself to believe it. All because of a rule in energy conversion..... there is always some loss.

I think the final truth will be that electric, as currently produced, is at greater cost and polution.

I agree with your statements but I think oil's cost also isn't truly shown at the pump. If you add in the indirect costs of our giant military, middle east wars, and payoffs to foreign dictators you'd see we pay a lot more than the current $3.50 a gallon. Oil's environmental costs haven't been small either if you remember the BP Gulf or Exxon Valdez oil spills. Our dependence on cheap plentiful energy is a real vulnerability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,883 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.