Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This one should not surprise you. In January I bought Filson Tinware coat and pants. The pants started to leak after only two weeks and the hip pocket flap was tearing.

Took the ferry to Seattle Thursday and walked to Filson. If you ever come to Seattle Filson is a must see. Their store/factory is a destination.

Anyway I showed the pants to a sales clerk and he laughed. Told me I must be one heck of a hard worker to do to those pants what I did to them in a lifetime let alone five weeks of working. Then he said they would gladly replace them. As I am no longer going to be doing that job he allowed me without hesitation to exchange them for other Filson Products. A new wool vest in a tall size was my first choice. I wear vests a lot and this one is nice enough to wear out to dinner or to church. The length makes concealed carry easy and comfortable. Then I really wanted a better belt for carrying my 1911. I got one of their inch and a half wide double layered belts and I have to say for the price it really love it. Walked miles, climbed stairs, stood and sat without ever having the 1911 move or my pants sag.

The people at Filson were great and really stand behind their products. The store is a dream to visit and the good news is they are working hard to bring back all of their manufacturing to the US.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a company worthy of my dollars.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice to hear. Thanks.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Sounds like a company worthy of my dollars.

They are but it takes a bunch of dollars to get started. Tinware costs a bunch. I would never been able to afford it if the company I was working for had not picked up half the tab. The vest was $125 and the belt $80.

The double layered loggers coat I have would last you your lifetime and given tour son a goal too grow into so I know it will be keeping me dry for the rest of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah, that is the only reason i dont have any yet.

i have a bunch of Carhartt, but it isnt made here as i later found out, although it does hold up very well to my work.

i have 4 pairs that i wear in rotation, and have had for 3 years now. they are starting to get worn, but at $35 a pair, i can at least afford to replace them.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love Filson products. I have a hunting coat, vest (which my son has claimed), pants, and several hats and caps. I have a felt Packer hat that my dog chewed on tearing up the lining. It also had a lot of grime in the brim from being worn for ten winters. I emailed Filson and asked if they could clean it and repair the lining. They replied that they could not clean it but would be happy to replace it at no cost. I couldn't do that since it was an old hat and I felt I got my money's worth out of it so I ordered a new hat to replace it. I still have the old one. Planned on wearing it to do chores but I now grab the new hat and go. Love my Filsons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those tins are pretty tough Scott, so I concede that you work harder than me:) I just got done recoating mine with wax in preparation for a weeklong canoe trip this summer. They aren't truly waterproof though they absorb so little water that they dry fast. I have their 1.25" single layer belt and it has been very good for years. I only put smaller handguns on it, but holds up nicely.

Glad to hear they are trying to pull all manufacturing back. Forgot I have their hat as well which also just got more wax. Great hat.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have the Tinware hat and like it a lot. I got one of their ball caps with cold weather ear flaps given to me. I will know more about how that one does next winter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My only Filson is their wool vest, which is superb.

As for hats, I'm a fan of Tilley. 100% made with Canadian persnicketiness, as they say. Even guaranteed against loss! They're summer hats, though.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you can't wash those trousers, don't they get a bit funky with time?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your title line said More On Exceptional Customer Service- so where's the moron service?

(I know, I know baaaaaaad!)

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Moron service? Sure-Fire lights. I bought one supposedly brand new. Package said "Batteries Included." There were no batteries, and the inside of the light was full of that awful brown battery corrosion - the light was ruined. I boxed it up and sent it to them.

Two months go by. Not one word. When I called and asked, they said they had never received such a light, and that I couldn't have received a light in that condition, anyway. I read them the post office delivery confirmation number, and they STILL wouldn't admit receiving it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
Since you can't wash those trousers, don't they get a bit funky with time?

Yes and no. The no part is because they are heavily waxed and normal dirt does not stick well. Hose and a scrub brush is all you need. The yes is because I was crawling around on my hands and knees in the snow and mud on top of crushed rock. I was taking apart excavators so I was covered in grease and oil, including hundreds of gallons of hydraulic oil. my tinware was shot in seven weeks.

The coat is still usable and I will be taking it to a car wash and using the pressure wash to clean it the best I can. If I remove to much of the wax i can send or in my case take it to Filson and they will have it cleaned and re dipped in their hot wax processes. Under normal work conditions like here at the farm that coat will out last me by a lifetime or two.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Moron service? Sure-Fire lights. I bought one supposedly brand new. Package said "Batteries Included." There were no batteries, and the inside of the light was full of that awful brown battery corrosion - the light was ruined. I boxed it up and sent it to them.

Two months go by. Not one word. When I called and asked, they said they had never received such a light, and that I couldn't have received a light in that condition, anyway. I read them the post office delivery confirmation number, and they STILL wouldn't admit receiving it.

Lack of service noted. They just went on my do not buy list.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My only Filson is their wool vest, which is superb.

As for hats, I'm a fan of Tilley. 100% made with Canadian persnicketiness, as they say. Even guaranteed against loss! They're summer hats, though.

The tinware hat I have is great. The brim is stiff enough it prevented me from putting additional lumps in my head dozens of times.

It was flat pouring one day and I was pulling a two inch open end wrench removing hydraulic lines off a D10 Cat. I was bone dry and not paying any attention to just what a rotten day it was until I tipped my head sideways and a drop of ice water ran down a vent hole in the side of the hat. Ice water rolled across my head and reminded me how much I liked my new hat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of those Tilleys also. Great for high country fishing to keep the sun off. The pants don't really smell much despite years of wear for the reasons Scott mentioned. Waxed cloth just doesn't absorb much odor. Kind of retro but I like them. And the belts as has been mentioned, are quite nice as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a lot of Filson products and have always been impressed. I've got everything from wool socks, vest, to tin coats and chaps to belts and hats. They've earned a customer for life, as long as they don't change.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I have a lot of Filson products and have always been impressed. I've got everything from wool socks, vest, to tin coats and chaps to belts and hats. They've earned a customer for life, as long as they don't change.

I have many, and will continue to look for more Filson clothing...BUT I see they have gone the way of Danner and other American companies I have always loved, and started outsourcing some of their merchandise to China.

Nothing great seems to last forever...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, but it's my understanding those products traditionally made in the US are still made in the US and they have outsourced "new" products. I was very dismayed at first and exchanged a number of emails and am pretty confident the products we've come to appreciate over the years we will continue to appreciate. And, if we want other, lower priced, almost more commercial products, they have some of those too.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had talk with management while in the store. He said without my asking they were working hard on bringing all manufacturing back to Seattle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.