Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought a S&W 629-4 Mountain Gun, .44 Mag, from a member on the Fire and was informed today by my FFL that it is not on CA's "safe handguns" list. I didn't even know this thing exists. He can't transfer it to me. I'm so pi$$ed!!! This state's gun laws are soooo #$^^&!%# ridiculous!!

The law does not ban ownership, it's a restriction on the FFL and was created to prevent unsafe handguns from being distributed. Handgun manufacturers have to pay DOJ $200 every year to keep their model of gun on the list. If it falls off the roster FFLs are prohibited from transferring the gun in from out of state with limited exception. If I had moved into CA with this gun I'd be fine. If anyone from CA had sold it to me I would be good. Or if I was a LEO. Or if it was transferred to me from out of state by a family member (defined as parent or son/daughter). But because it is a 3rd party and S&W didn't pay the annual fee with DOJ to keep the gun on the list (since it was discontinued) I'm SOL.

I may be posting a for sale ad soon. $#%^!@! I've been wanting this gun for years. frown

Eric

More info on this crazy law.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/The_Safe_Handgun_List

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't been able to take advatage of it, yet, but am glad my dad lives in Vegas.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel for you. Similar problem with the 686 I got for my folks a few years ago. But because I'm family, it can somehow slip through.

I'm trying to get them to finally leave that ridiculous state

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How you gonna sell it if you ain't got it?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate that rule too, but are you sure about the 629? I see them for sale in my gun shop all the time.

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm researching whether I can ship it to my brother in MN, register it with him, and then have him loan it back to me. Or I could have my brother hold it for 15 years, transfer to my son, and then have him gift it to me. lol. This state blows.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pira114
I hate that rule too, but are you sure about the 629? I see them for sale in my gun shop all the time.

If you look at the top DOJ link I included, the 629 series starts with the 629-6. The -2 to -5s are not on the roster.

There's got to be some way to make this happen..

Eric

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Law has been on the book for quite a few years, Jan, 2002 or 1003 I think... Never buy a handgun without checking the list first, and don't take it for granted if it was legal last month that it is legal this month!

Best bet, buy it from a California dealer, it they're selling it then it's leagal... and cheaper in the long run. Even if your buying a used gun/rifle the FFL Dealer is required now to collect a sales/use tax on it... not to mention that the transfer is more expensive for a used out of state gun!

So even if it was a legal gun one that was on the list, by the time you paid shipping, use tax, and transfer, well!

Phil

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I knew there was a banned list (certain "assault" rifles, etc.) but had no idea there was a list for handguns like this. I mean, come on, it's a freakin' revolver! Give me a break.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
How you gonna sell it if you ain't got it?

It's here in San Diego with my FFL. He says it's no issue to sell it to someone else (out of CA) or return it to the original seller. It's just an issue with keeping it in CA (I don't meet one of the exceptions). I loathe selling this gun but my options seem to be limited.

Eric

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your states politicians are trying to o this and more all over the US. I'm glad you spoke up.

LOL
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Legally you can't sell the gun, It's not yours to sell! Your FFL can return it to the seller and thats all the options you have. Your FFL can't sell it for you because it was imported into the state illeagly...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you'd rat him out...... right?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Question, how the hell did it get shipped to this state in the first place?

It is the sellers FFL's responsibility to get a shipping number from your FFL so that the firearm can be shipped. A hand gun has to go FFL to FFL here...

Phil

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[bleep] you!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now you know why people won't deal with buyers in Kalifornia!

NRA Lifetime Member
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Phil,
Respectfully, I disagree. My FFL told me otherwise and I tend to believe him. It hasn't been "transferred" into the state (only shipped to CA). The DROS effectuates the transfer. It's free to ship to wherever it may be appropriately transferred to a buyer, or whomever I'd like to give it to. So, I could pay for the gun and have it shipped to my brother in MN for instance. And he could register it in his name there. Or likewise, I could sell to anyone outside of CA, or to a LEO in CA.

Eric

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rifles and Handguns are two different stories...

Don't blame anyone for not wanting to sell a handgun to someone here in California...

Rifles can go from private seller to an instate FFL with a copy of sellers Drivers License and a bill of sale.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Rifles and Handguns are two different stories...

Don't blame anyone for not wanting to sell a handgun to someone here in California...

Rifles can go from private seller to an instate FFL with a copy of sellers Drivers License and a bill of sale.

Phil

Wouldn't touch a Kali buyer with your junk

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Feel for you. I often feel that we all are safer when our legislatures are on break; it seems axiomatic that when you are elected to office--state or federal--these guys have to pass stuff with little back ground knowledge. We have a proliferation of laws, rules, regulations, limits, and stipulations with 95 % of their proponents knowing not a jot or tittle what the ramifications are, or whether the original goal was realized.

Thanks, I feel better now grin

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.