Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just two days after Archbishop Gerhard M�ller, Vatican Prefect, speaking in Glasgow, Scotland, touted Catholic education as �a critical component of the Church�, President Barack Obama stood before a crowd of 2,000 young people this morning and called for an end to Catholic education in Northern Ireland.
�If towns remain divided,� said the U.S. President, �if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can�t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden�that too encourages division and discourages cooperation.�
Obama, who arrived in Northern Ireland this morning to attend the two-day G-8 Summit at the Lough Erne resort in Enneskillen, made the disproved claim on Monday, speaking before an audience which included many Catholics.

His speech was in sharp contrast to remarks delivered on Saturday by Archbishop Gerhard M�ller, prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. Archbishop M�ller was in Scotland to present the prestigious Cardinal Winning Lecture on Saturday, to officially launch the St Andrews Foundation for Catholic teacher education at Glasgow University. According to the Scottish Catholic Observer, the CDF head said that Catholic education provided a rare place where �intellectual training, moral discipline and religious commitment would come together.� The evening before, at a Friday evening mass at St. Andrew�s Cathedral in Glasgow, Archbishop M�ller said that �the Catholic school is vitally important�. a critical component of the Church.� He added that Catholic education provides young people with a wonderful opportunity to �grow up with Jesus.�
He contrasted St. Augustine�s view, which is founded in the thought of Aristotle and Plato, with that of contemporary relativists and warned that relativism, if pursued to its logical conclusion, would lead to the breakdown of society.
The Prefect�s remarks on education are reported fully in the National Catholic Register.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathys...-catholic-education-in-northern-ireland/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, what would you expect from Hussein, he and his wife are very obviously extreme racists and religious bigots and he also seems to think that he knows what is best for the Irish far more than they do.......rather a typical form of azzholian behaviour from him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[bleep] IRA [bleep] the bed this time.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am shocked that Muslim schooled in a Radical madras would criticize a Catholic based educational system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Irish, both Protestant and Catholic, should rise up as a united people and chase his black azz out of Ireland.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my dumass twin brother works in London and thinks Obama is the bees knees and so does 90% of Eurotrashtards

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
stoopid moosesilme..........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oberry Education = Brain washing

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he craps on 3 more countries, he gets a free set of steak knives.....

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who in Ireland could possibly take him seriously, advising them when he is completely incompetent as our president?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If ya have had smoke blown up your butt all your life, you are sure that you know everything about everything. Shows.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if religion is a cause of dissension in the estimation of the state the answer is to eliminate religion? Strikes me as fairly Marxist. Why am I not surprised.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Beheading so-called infidels is A-OK however!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So ALL followers of Islam (infidels to most of us) must convert or die?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am sure he would love to outlaw parochial education in this nation as well as home school.

Gotta get all the little tykes in the same class room in order to form proper little statists.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The guy is a buffoon. Must have looked like a fool to the Irish people. Like pal said, he has proven himself incompetent as our president. Can't see this dumb [bleep] go away fast enough.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Obama makes most Americans proud to call themselves Canadians, ay?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Just two days after Archbishop Gerhard M�ller, Vatican Prefect, speaking in Glasgow, Scotland, touted Catholic education as �a critical component of the Church�, President Barack Obama stood before a crowd of 2,000 young people this morning and called for an end to Catholic education in Northern Ireland.
�If towns remain divided,� said the U.S. President, �if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can�t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden�that too encourages division and discourages cooperation.�
Obama, who arrived in Northern Ireland this morning to attend the two-day G-8 Summit at the Lough Erne resort in Enneskillen, made the disproved claim on Monday, speaking before an audience which included many Catholics.

His speech was in sharp contrast to remarks delivered on Saturday by Archbishop Gerhard M�ller, prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith. Archbishop M�ller was in Scotland to present the prestigious Cardinal Winning Lecture on Saturday, to officially launch the St Andrews Foundation for Catholic teacher education at Glasgow University. According to the Scottish Catholic Observer, the CDF head said that Catholic education provided a rare place where �intellectual training, moral discipline and religious commitment would come together.� The evening before, at a Friday evening mass at St. Andrew�s Cathedral in Glasgow, Archbishop M�ller said that �the Catholic school is vitally important�. a critical component of the Church.� He added that Catholic education provides young people with a wonderful opportunity to �grow up with Jesus.�
He contrasted St. Augustine�s view, which is founded in the thought of Aristotle and Plato, with that of contemporary relativists and warned that relativism, if pursued to its logical conclusion, would lead to the breakdown of society.
The Prefect�s remarks on education are reported fully in the National Catholic Register.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathys...-catholic-education-in-northern-ireland/

As much as I hate to say it, but in the context of Northern Ireland, Obama's remarks make a lot of sense in an idealistic sort of way.

Religious sectarianism dominated many aspects of life in Northern Ireland and ones religion defined where you could live, what schools you could attend, the friends you could have, and where you worked ect..

Things have improved slightly, but many people of both religions want to hang on to the old divides as it means retaining personal power and influence.

Making schools religiously neutral, and getting kids from all denominations mixing at schools from a young age is the best way to fight religious intollerance and sectarisum in the future..

Re the second half of the original article, of course the Catholic Church supports Catholic schools as it allows them to indoctrinate children from a young age which means more future recruits for the Catholic Church. Whether that is good for the wider society is a different debate..

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shall take your word on this one Pete as I am not up to speed on Northern Ireland.

Well, except that the mad buggers drink and party like lunatics when they come here, and I notice they have no problems partying together.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I shall take your word on this one Pete as I am not up to speed on Northern Ireland.

If you read the original comments by Obamma, he is not talking about simply ending Catholic education, he is talking about reducing the divides between Catholics and Protestants..In the context of Northern Ireland, its the sort of "happy clappy" idealistic comment I would expect from a visiting US President or other Head of State.

Well, except that the mad buggers drink and party like lunatics when they come here, and I notice they have no problems partying together.

That is what is so silly..on their home turfs, old loyalities and a degree of "tribalism" seems to hold sway..Put the same people in a different culture/country and the majority seem to get along fine with differences of religious and political opinion seeming to be kept personal.

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/13.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.