Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Several fellows over on the " � Gunwriters" forum are swapping opinions about the progress in cartridges that shooters and hunters have enjoyed in the last and current centuries.

How nice it'd be if our next great progress would be wide-spread recognition of the empty foolishness of the fetish for muzzle velocity at whatever cost in down-range results and right-next-to-the-face risks.

Just engineering loads to chamber pressures no higher than 50,000 lb/sq in. (instead of 60,000 lb/sq in. and higher) produces demonstrably wonderful benefits in accuracy, case longevity, barrel longevity, better recoil, and better long-range performance � as well as better safety.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, in the battle betwixt reason and emotion the latter has the advantage of youth I fear.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Two very good posts.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's simply the American way. It's something that is imbedded in our psyche, our culture.

To be sure, it doesn't affect all individuals, and certainly not to an equal extent. It may also be associated with relative youth, diminishing with age and maturity, just like the desire to drive fast.

Just speculation on my part.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken Howell,

This idea is "engineering loads to chamber pressures no higher than 50,000 lb/sq in. (instead of 60,000 lb/sq in. and higher)" is archaic. Materials are better than when you were young.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ringman
Ken Howell,

This idea is "engineering loads to chamber pressures no higher than 50,000 lb/sq in. (instead of 60,000 lb/sq in. and higher)" is archaic. Materials are better than when you were young.

It is early to make popcorn but what the hell...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ken Howell,

But the human intellect is still no more advanced, so young people fall for marketing huckstering the biggest, fastest, most luxurious and "in" things. Almost every new cartridge development in the last 50 years is nothing but a marketing technique to sell rifles and ammo. Not to mention that brass is still brass which is the limiting factor for pressure containment. I do recall that at one time Dick Casull was experimenting with cartridges that used steel heads to contain extreme high pressure, but that idea went nowhere.

I mean my new 204 Ruger custom rifle shoots the 24 grain Hornady NTX bullet best at 3,936 fps average, but opens the group up at 4,155 fps. Slow it down and everything is good! smile

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The youngn's have not come full circle yet. Let them try the new stuff out on their own. They won't listen to the old guys anyway. Some of them have not figured out that they are smarter/wiser than they where a year ago. Much less 20-30 years of learning.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm just waiting for them to come out with a handheld rail gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rail Gun!

Too much EMF!

My capacitor is bigger than your capacitor. I can hear it now.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want a lazer. We can set the targets on the moon.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What kind of targets you talking about.

I can think of a few!

Off topic, but just having fun!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This idea of "engineering loads to chamber pressures no higher than 50,000 lb/sq in. (instead of 60,000 lb/sq in. and higher)" is archaic. Materials are better than when you were young.

Au contrere, mon Frere! Our better modern materials are precisely what make my approach much more feasible than ever! The physics of both interior and exterior ballistics are exactly the same as they were when I was born (1931). Modern materials make it easier for us to utilize 'em to get superior results. If you were here, I'd show you. You simply don't know what the Aitch you're opining about.

"Archaic?"

Pore ol' Toro has gotten into the Ex-Lax again!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Ken Howell,

Yeah???????????? SOoooooooooooo?? You can't kill a critter deader than dead. You don't need an ICBM to accomplish what can be done with a piper cub........

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken Howell,

Swedish and some of the German steels used by Lowe of the turn of the last century were just as good as anything now....overall tolerances are better, or atleast much easier to hold, but quality of materials really isnt all than much better....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the advancements in bullet technology, higher velocity is needed less now than ever, IMO.........

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's more to cartridges than simply killing schit.

Speed doesn't hurt.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Given the advancements in bullet technology, higher velocity is needed less now than ever, IMO.........

Yeah, I'd take high BC over speed, but if we're talking about pushing the limits, speed and BC doesn't hurt.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With all the 1940s IMR-4350 that we could dribble uncompacted into the .30-06 behind a 168-grain Sierra HPBT seated 0.363 inch into the neck (about 56.8 grains), we could very safely get about 2,600 ft/sec and 2,971 ft-lb at the muzzle.

With about 56.4 grains of today's much later ReLoDer 17, we can get about 2,800 ft/sec and 3,109 ft-lb at little more than 50,000 lb/sq in.

I'd consider that a lot better performance � with a heavier, more modern bullet than the 150-grain bullets commonly used in the 1940s .30-06, for much better retention of energy down-range.

To keep the comparison honestly comparable, I've compared loads with the same bullet and different powders. A comparison between different bullets with different powders would more dramatically demonstrate the greatly increased benefits offered by modern components.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
� Speed doesn't hurt. �

Yes, it can.

The faster it starts out, the faster it loses velocity to the drag that it encounters in its travel. Timeless fact of physics.

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.