Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DLFant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
In football on Offence we had a Quick count. When it was called we went to the line and the quarter back wouldn�t say the usual (Down Set Hut) he would just lean over center and as soon as he did the center would hike the ball. The idea was to surprise the defense and catch them off guard. That�s what happened to me today. I shot a dog on the previous stand. He come in pretty quickly at about the 10 min. mark. So on to the next stand I set the decoy and the E-caller up walked back to the hide, selected the sound ran the volume up, leaned in to my scope to get a look at everything thru it just in time to see a song dog run into my field of view. he was so close 30 feet I missed like a school girl, must have tripped over my skirt, any way I reached over and gabbed the shotgun and took 2 shots hitting him both times killing with the second. According to the time on the caller 40 seconds had elapsed. I have called varmints for about 40 years and that caught me by surprise!!! LOL I thought yall might get a kick out of that. Let me hear your experiences What is your quickest response?

When a man's word is no good he usually isn't eiher!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ran into a pretty big boy, two days before shooting season opened here. Not saying what happened, but boy was HE surprised.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has nothing to do with calling but several years ago I was talking to my daughter in Nashville when the coyotes really started to sing. I asked her if she could hear them and she said no. I told her to hold on and I would hold the phone out the back door. I went to the back door and opened it. Don't know who was more surprised, me or the coyote as the door actually hit him in the nose. He just stood and looked as did I then he really took off over the patio wall.

DLFant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guesss he droped by for lunch LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Called in my biggest yote ever with a mouth call a few years ago. Couldn't see him, but could feel him coming from behind me ( You know what I mean�) So Id swivel my head for a glimpse every 15 or so seconds.

Well, when it was swiveled the wrong way I heard his feet hitting the ground and turned in time to see him putting on the brakes so close that he ;
a) sprayed me with gravel and dirt and
b) my first thought was to grab his leg�( luckily I figured out that was stupid before I did it�)

Anyway I jumped up and by now he was kicking into warp drive about fifty feet away. He did not escape. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Calling was not involved, but my brother nailed three during ML deer season. I missed one about a week later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No calling involved that morning - just finished loading some 22:250 and, from the bench, looked over at the Ruger #1 sitting in the rack. Thought: "too bad I can't go out and call today".

Went over to look out the shop window, and saw two coyotes concentrated on sniffing and listening for a gopher - in the pasture a little more than 100 yards away on light snow cover.

Gently opened the door to the deck, slipped out, got set and nailed one. The other jumped about straight up in the air, landed, stopped to look at his dead still friend, and he got just as dead still.

Never had anything like that happen before - likely never will again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The smaller one came thru the bush I was beside and all I saw was the roof of his mouth and teeth! He was backpeddling as I was swinging around to blast him. Closest I ever came to getting bit, about a foot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/10/13.

LOL
DLFant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Years ago my brother was calling on a really dark night. HE had a red fox come in and sit down on his hounches about 2 feet away, He sensed something but never knew it until the fox barked scaring the sheshe out of him.LOL

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My quickest response time isn't known as we've never timed it but we've had more than a handfull of quick ones. We've had way more that seemed to take forever!
The quickest for me was one where I sat down got mu pistol up on my knee to wait. About the time I felt like I was sitting well I saw a pair of coyotes watching me a little over 100 yards out. Rather than wait for my father to start calling, I cocked the Contender and smoked one. He came running up the hill thinking I'd had an accident! That was my first yote with the Contender, farthest I ever got with it. It was a .223 barrel with a 2.5x scope.
My closest was so close many wouldn't believe it, so I had my Dad take a picture of it. It's in his book.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While out Quail hunting one day, we came across a good sized brush pile made up of grape stumps & vines about 4' high & 30' diameter. This was an old pile overgrown with weeds & bermuda grass, with bunches of small game trails leading in and out in every direction. Our two GSP's got all kinds of "birdy", circling, sniffing, snorting, and throw in a false point or two. So naturally we thought we had a good covey of quail cornered, my shorthair even got up on the pile sniffing, snorting, and poking his head down in the gaps, but we couldn't get'em to flush. Damn quail will stick tighter than a tick if they have thick enough cover. Bound and determined to flush'em, I climb on top the pile and start making a racket, the dogs are going nuts race tracking that pile, when all of a sudden a friggen coyote comes busting out, damn near betwenced my legs! Hit the gound in high gear, boom, summersalted him but he never missed a step, still hauling tail, boom, I rolled his sorry carcass sideways this time, gets up still going, boom, finally a dead coyote.
Note:
Low base 8's not the best medicine for coyotes.

DLFant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sandman thats why I had to take 2 shots as well. The last stand I had shot my last buck shot, All I had left with me was #8's. I was on a Quail slash coyote hunt I had shot 1 gambles on he way to the stand. Its funny the rifle blast i missed with at first never effected him he was intent on getting that meal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
378 members (1lesfox, 320090T, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 35 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 685 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,587
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.