Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have tried everything I can figure out (to include searching the FAQ section). Nothing works for me. Where are (or what are) the instructions for adding an avatar on the 24 Hour campfire? Thanks, Odessa
PS I did a search, but could find no directions.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Odessa
I have tried everything I can figure out (to include searching the FAQ section). Nothing works for me. Where are (or what are) the instructions for adding an avatar on the 24 Hour campfire? Thanks, Odessa
PS I did a search, but could find no directions.

Go to your "My profile" section and down at the bottom is a place where you can cut and paste in the link to your avatar on the photo hosting site of your choice. Then be sure and click the "submit" button and you should be set.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pugs, Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I am doing; when I cut and past the address this error below is what I get (.jpg or .gif versions give me the same message). I am sure I am doing something wrong, just don't know what it is. Odessa

"UBB Error
Improper picture type.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page."

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save the avatar to your computer, then link it from there.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to your "My profile" section and down at the bottom is a place where you can cut and paste in the link to your avatar on the photo hosting site of your choice.

You can't download directly from your computer - that's the mistake I made the first 15 times or so I tried to load my avatar. What you enter is the URL of the picture you want as the avatar ON a photo hosting site (I think mine's on PHOTOBUCKET). Also, the avatar has to be a certain size - 80 X 80 pxl or smaller.

Last edited by Kemosabe; 12/29/08. Reason: correction

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odessa,

I think your avatar is too large.

Can't be any larger than 80x80 pixels and yours is 100x64.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemesis
Odessa,

Possible, I've also had pictures that even though I saved as .jpeg and they say .jpeg I've had to resave too get to work.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Odessa,

Nemesis, Is there any way to shrink it? Thanks.

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odessa,

Nemesis, Is there any way to shrink it? Thanks.

Are you hosting it on photobucket or some other website? If so, on photobucket anyway, you can click edit and resize and select preset sizes, small or manually type 80x80 in the resize box.

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pugs, I am on Hunt101, a free hunters oriented digital picture hosting sight. http://www.hunt101.com/ I have not tried to do any editing, but I will go on there and see what I can figure out. Thanks for all the suggestions. Odessa

Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odessa,

There are many free photo editing sites out there that will do what you want.

For example, here's one you can use to resize your avatar if you wish:

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pugs, I am on Hunt101, a free hunters oriented digital picture hosting sight. http://www.hunt101.com/ I have not tried to do any editing, but I will go on there and see what I can figure out. Thanks for all the suggestions. Odessa

If they don't have a photo editing option you can use whatever you have on your computer (photoshop or whatever Windows includes) and resize then upload again.

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all your assistance gentlemen. Kemosabe has just sent me a PM that he has already resized it and is going to email it to me. I will try it again as soon as I receive the email. I have to confess my ignorance here, I have not resized any digital photo's before and was not aware of what the pixel requirement actually meant. I think I am catching on now. Odessa

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't download directly from your computer

You're right, I thought mine was in 'my documents' but it's on photobucket, my bad.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Checking to see if I did my avatar correctly

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ah! Success!!!

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, ain't it sweet! I have to admit I tried again and couldn't get it to work. My 23 year old daughter majored in computer graphic design - she came home while I was messing with it, and I turned it over to her (using your resized image). She is working on the image again to get the proportion correct - and is going to upload again. This was not as easy as it looked!

Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 6mmbrfan, 7887mm08, 21, 308ld, 375sunrise, 11 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,450
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.