Print Thread
Hop To
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
And, I'm working with a client now, using this approach,to overcome a pro-se plea to a felony PCP possession 13 years ago.My client is gathering all the documentation for submission along with a letter he will initially draft which will be refined with some effort from my end. For folks not into letter writing and for my clients with the same lack of writing abilities, I refer them to a site called Planet Feedback (link below). It's an excellent aid for those lacking confidence or the skills necessary to drive home your point via a written correspondence. Anyways, with the Governor opening the door on this approach, after we receive a response from his offices, I'll let you know how it played out. This is a very interesting approcach to re-enfranchisement.

http://www.planetfeedback.com/
==================

By BOB LEWIS
AP Political Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Prisoners in Virginia who want to vote again and have other civil rights restored will have to write to Gov. Bob McDonnell explaining why.

A draft proposal by McDonnell's administration would compel felons who want their rights back to tell the governor in writing about their crime, their rehabilitation and how they've contributed to society since doing their time.

The American Civil Liberties Union accused the Republican governor Monday of reinstituting the literacy test on convicts, many of them with limited learning.

In Virginia, only the governor can restore felons' rights.

Legislative efforts to give felons other ways to regain their rights have repeatedly failed.

Last edited by isaac; 04/13/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
leave it to the ACLU to find something wrong with giving FELONS a second chance at contributing to society. geesh.

BTW - the story says prisoners. shouldn't it be EX-prisoners? As in those who have served (past tense) their time as opposed to those still serving time?

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Now I'm liking that--good for Gov McDonnell and Virginia.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
bbassi....I think the ACLU is fine with this approach. The ACLU felt the literacy tests weren't a fair way to pave the path to re-enfranchisement because some of the ex felons are ummm...well,for lack of a more apt description....dumb schits!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
...some of the ex felons are ummm...well,for lack of a more apt description....dumb schits!
There are ones you meet and instantly know that they will spend the majority of their adult lives in jail.

IC B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Now I'm liking that--good for Gov McDonnell and Virginia.

Casey

=============

Me too,Casey. My guy was in his 20s, represented himself so instead of getting the usual continued for a year reduction or dismissal upon completing certain probationary terms, he's walking life as a convicted felon. He has a successful business which has branched out to 3 locations now and his businesses pay some sizable taxes to the state.

I only hope his political contributions were to the GOP and I told him to make a logo for the top left corner of his letterhead indicating "McDonnell For President 2012". Thought that a nice lawyerly touch!

William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I only hope his political contributions were to the GOP and I told him to make a logo for the top left corner of his letterhead indicating "McDonnell For President 2012". Thought that a nice lawyerly touch!

laugh laugh laugh

jeepers......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
...some of the ex felons are ummm...well,for lack of a more apt description....dumb schits!
There are ones you meet and instantly know that they will spend the majority of their adult lives in jail.

==================

That's a fact,Kevin. For some,the realization is instantaneous.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad that they're allowing it.. but pity the infrequent person who was convicted falsely who now has to explain his crime and his rehabilitation so that he can hunt again.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Especially the ones with same sex crime felonies.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
366 members (1lesfox, 320090T, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 37 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,581
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.