Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are golfers athletes? Is golf a sport or merely a game?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is racquetball a sport or a game? Some of the best racquetball players I've seen couldn't walk 2 miles for being fat. But they'd run an "athlete" all over the court and wear him out.

In days of old, baseball players were often in less than "adonis" condition. So, when did baseball become a sport and not just a game?

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Not only is it a sport, it is one of the most difficult for one to become one of the elite.

First the Boise thread,then the TW thread and now this. I understand how the Wolverines have you frustratingly looking at only their passed good years but jeez man!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Golf is a walk in the park wishing the beer girl would show up.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is shooting a sport or a game?

Most of those who frequent firing ranges, even many top competitive shooters, aren't exactly models of fitness.

Frankly, I don't care one way or another.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Golf is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it all depends some say hunting is a sport and others call it something else and should be banded. While Golf is not my thing. I have played some, it can be just as addictive a sport as hunting and shooting is for us. There is room for both. I have less of a problem with Golf an Golfers than I do with oh say Green Peace!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
any time you keep score its a game,all stick and ball stuff is a game,some shooting events are games,old time fly fishing might be as close as you can come to a sport.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does John Daly look like an athlete? That should answer the question.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It is a good walk spoilt by a little ball.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the game of golf is a sport.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reckon its both, just depends on who you ask
I'd call it both, depending on the day too I guess

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many things that I feel should be an activity rather than a sport or a game, with my distinction being that an activity is something that can be enjoyed solely for the activity itself rather than as part of a competition.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
similar question as "are NASCAR drivers athletes?"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Are golfers athletes? Is golf a sport or merely a game?

If you look up "sport", by definition it's a sport. "Athlete" can be a bit more subjective. If you engage in athletic competition, then you can be called an athlete, but at the same time not be very "athletic".

This guy plays NFL football (Terrance Cody, Ravens), which most everbody that engages in this "is golf a sport? debate" considers "a sport". Is he an "athlete"?

[Linked Image]

This is one of the dumbest debates ever. The local sports talk radio morons usually have this debate sometime every football offseason. Most of the morons that call in completely make up their own definition of "sport" and "athlete" to only fit football or basketball.

War Damn Eagle!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It depends. If you are a hacker that rides a golf cart around the course on your way to shooting a 121 while half drunk, it is a game. This is sort of the hunting equivalent of parking your pickup 50 yards from a box stand which you sit in all day.

The pros walk up and down hilly golf courses day after day. All of them are in pretty fair condition. Take a look at a guy like Arnold Palmer or Gary Player, compare him to an average man of his age and get back to me. In addition, to play golf well requires a coiling of the body that is every bit as athletic of a move as kicking a field goal in football or hitting a baseball. People get injuries from it all the time. For those guys it is a sport....the hunting equivalent of a backpack hunt in the mountains.

John Daly is a lardass because he probably drinks about 3000 extra calories a day. He still can huff it around the course while playing.....something the average fatass would keel over trying.

I used to play golf a lot and was pretty good at it. Then I killed my first deer.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
It depends. If you are a hacker that rides a golf cart around the course on your way to shooting a 121 while half drunk, it is a game. This is sort of the hunting equivalent of parking your pickup 50 yards from a box stand which you sit in all day.

***Pops popcorn, waits.***

War Damn Eagle!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

We've talked about mixing the two...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by RJY66

***Pops popcorn, waits.***

Not trying to stir up anything. I hunt in the south where the terrain and the size of the properties I have access to pretty much dictates that yes, you park your truck and go sit in a stand which I do and enjoy very much. It is a lot of fun but does not require much athletic ability....unlike some other forms of hunting.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

We've talked about mixing the two...

Remember the gopher episode in Caddyshack? grin

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 43 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.