Campfire Outfitter
K
Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Division of Marine Fisheries

251 Causeway Street, Suite 400

Boston, Massachusetts 02114

(617)626-1520

fax (617)626-1509

The Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) is collaborating with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) to collect information on the Commonwealth�s recreational saltwater fishery to measure its economic value. In addition to providing important information about the socio-economic value of saltwater fishing in Massachusetts, this federally funded study will help to validate frequently used economic evaluation methods by applying an innovative direct approach in which some saltwater permit holders are presented with a cash offer in exchange for giving up their permit and thus the right to fish in marine waters for the remainder of 2012. Other permit holders will receive a survey asking for either their willingness to sell their 2012 permit for a particular price or their willingness to have paid a different amount for their 2012 permit.

MarineFisheries is issuing this Advisory to attest to the legitimacy of this angler permit survey, including the cash offers that some individuals will receive, and to assure its permit holders that in no way will the information from the survey be used to modify fees for Massachusetts� recreational saltwater fishing permits.

Participation in the survey is voluntary; however, MarineFisheries highly encourages your response based on the important information that will be gathered. Past studies on the contribution of recreational fishing to the Commonwealth�s economy have considered the number of jobs and the amount of sales and incomes that are supported by the expenditures of saltwater recreational fishermen, but have not included the value that anglers place on being able to go saltwater fishing. This type of information holds great worth; for example, it would be necessary for a comprehensive estimate of economic losses to the recreational fishery if for some reason Massachusetts� waters had to be closed to fishing.

MarineFisheries is maintaining a list of Commonly Asked Questions about the 2012 Massachusetts Saltwater Angler Permit Survey under the recreational permit page of its website: www.mass.gov/marinefisheries. General questions about MarineFisheries involvement can be directed to Nichola Meserve (nichola.meservestate.ma.us). Technical questions regarding the study should be directed to Quantech, Inc., the statistical analysis and survey research firm contracted by NMFS to conduct the survey. Please contact Daemian Schreiber at 800-229-5220 ext 7831, or mavsquantech.com.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't try to understand any gummit agency by applying or assuming intelligence, logic, legality, fairness, or responsibility.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like to me Friend , If ya want to fish your going to have to pay! frown

Last edited by saddlering; 03/06/12.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the offers have already been sent out. $500 to give up your permit for the rest of the season. I have to admit, if I was picked I would probably take the cash. Being from away, I don't get but a few hours here and there to fish anyway. As I have yet to buy my 2012 permit, I was not in the running.

But, yeah, the whole thing is ridiculous. .gov at its finest.

Last edited by Southerntier8; 03/06/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure does.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How much are the permits when you apply for them ?

Our govt is getting to the point of...

"We're gonna start beating you hard & fast with this big stick, then we're gonna slow down some, so you appreciate that we're not beating you so hard"..

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That does not sound promising?

"This type of information holds great worth; for example, it would be necessary for a comprehensive estimate of economic losses to the recreational fishery if for some reason Massachusetts� waters had to be closed to fishing."

This sounds down right scary.

Tell 'em to go eff themselves.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Permits are $10.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, you buy them for $10 and sell them back for $500. Can you buy one for each family member?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
No child left behind comes to wildlife management.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
".... if for some reason Massachusetts� waters had to be closed to fishing."

There is the stick and the money is the carrot.

About the same deal Texas had some years back with bay shrimpers. Either buy out the licenses or close the bays.

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

My son and his buddy had a commercial salmon fishing license. They each received about $30,000.00 a year for two or three years NOT to fish. I believe that the money came from the Feds.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.