Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has emerged as a key player if Senate Democrats are to have any chance of passing legislation to expand background checks for private sales of firearms.

McCain and Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Dean Heller (R-Nev.) are at the top of a list of Republicans considered most likely to sign on to legislation expanding background checks after talks with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) stalled earlier this month.

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) has signaled he will likely support the yet-to-be-finalized proposal he negotiated with Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) to expand background checks to cover private gun sales, according to Senate sources.

The proposal includes modifications to attract Republican support. One would let rural gun owners conduct background checks from their home computers. Another would give military veterans who have been declared mentally unfit to own a gun a process for appealing that finding.

Expanding background checks is the centerpiece of President Obama�s proposal to change the nation�s gun laws in response to the mass shooting that killed 20 children in Newtown, Ct., last December.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has announced he will include background-checks legislation in a gun-violence package scheduled for the Senate floor in April, even though it�s uncertain whether it could gather the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster.

McCain could provide crucial Republican support because he has a "B-plus" rating from the National Rifle Association, one of the most powerful interest groups in Washington. His endorsement could bring along Heller, who has an "A" rating from the NRA.

Collins and Kirk have weaker credentials on gun issues within Republican circles. Collins has a "C-plus" rating from the NRA and Kirk has an "F."

Manchin, who has an "A" rating from the NRA, has taken the lead in shopping the background-checks proposal to Republican lawmakers, said a Senate aide.

Manchin said he is shopping the proposal widely, but declined Friday to reveal his lobbying list.

�Anybody and every one of them. I�m talking to everybody,� he said when asked to identify targeted Republican senators.

McCain said he has discussed extended background checks, but declined to reveal any details from those talks.

�We�ve had discussions about the issue,� said McCain. �I never describe my discussions with other senators.�

A Senate aide said Collins has had conversations with Manchin over the past several weeks. Another Senate source said she has been approached about background checks.

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) said he has also been approached by Manchin. He is open-minded about expanding background checks, but shares the concerns Coburn had over requiring private sellers to maintain records.

Heller said he wants to make sure felons and people suffering from mental illness do not have access to guns but is unsure about how to implement expanded background checks.

�We�ve had a couple of conversations. We�ve had a couple of conversations,� he said.

Heller wants to make sure that expanding background checks does not lead to a national registry of gun owners.

�Coburn and I share that concern only because you have to keep those records from 15 to 20 years and even proponents of the legislation say they would subject law-abiding citizens to stings by the ATF,� he said in reference to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

But Heller said the record-keeping requirement for expanded background checks, which Schumer has insisted on, is a deal breaker.

�I wouldn�t say anything at this point is a deal breaker,� he said.

Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.) is seen as another Republican who might support a bipartisan proposal to expand background checks. Coats has a "C-plus" NRA rating, which makes him an attractive target. But Coats on Friday denied that he has been approached by colleagues to back the Schumer-Manchin-Kirk proposal.

�I don�t know if I�m the shopping list or not. No one has approached me,� said Coats.

Coats said he wants to see the details of legislation on background checks before making a decision. He said he would oppose Sen. Dianne Feinstein�s (D-Calif.) proposal to ban military-style semi-automatic weapons.

"Sen. Kirk remains largely supportive of the background check proposal so far negotiated between he and Sens. Manchin and Schumer, and he will continue negotiating for language to protect veterans' Second Amendment rights," said Lance Trover, Kirk's spokesman.

Gun-control advocates on Friday praised Reid�s decision to include a background-checks measure in the base gun-violence bill he will bring to the Senate floor.

�I applaud Senator Reid for sending a bill to the Senate floor that includes comprehensive, enforceable background checks� and for emphasizing that to be effective, any bill that passes the Senate must include background checks,� said New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I), co-chairman of Mayors Against Illegal guns. �This sensible reform � with overwhelming support from Americans, including gun owners � will save lives and keep our communities safer.�

Reid on Tuesday raised the possibility that he would leave it out of the base bill because of concern that Republicans might block the legislation if it included objectionable language on background checks.

On Thursday, Reid said he would include the background-checks legislation approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee last week on a party-line vote. That provision will likely not garner 60 votes, but Schumer and other gun-control advocates hope Republicans can be found in the next few weeks to support a bipartisan alternative to expand background checks.

[Linked Image]
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
John McCain's service to this country has never been the same since he got out of the Hanoi Hilton.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arizonans will bounce his ass out for sure...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw that earlier this morning, and posted it. McCain, as I said in the other thread, should just change his party affiliation. He votes more often with the dhimmicrats than with the Conservatives.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I saw that earlier this morning, and posted it. McCain, as I said in the other thread, should just change his party affiliation. He votes more often with the dhimmicrats than with the Conservatives.

Agreed. If he hadn't been in office so long I'd think he was a dem mole.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CAVED???

My a$$, he's a [bleep] republicrat, I figure he has wet dreams about universal gun registration.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
McCain in 2008.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Arizonans will bounce his ass out for sure...

That's not a given! We only have one bulwark left - the House of Representatives.

Elections matter. Get involved locally.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/25/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

McCain is the picture perfect embodiment of the modern day Retardlican Party.

Their ENTIRE get along is seek compromise then sit awaiting next attack for which to seek compromise.

When it comes to the conservative cause they're almost as useful, able, and fit for duty as a one eyed narcoleptic watchdog.

Not quite, but almost.

mad

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he ain't asleep, he's only half looking around.

And probably sitting on his ass.... thinking about nap time.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 03/25/13.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time for retirement and replacement. W'll let Arizona decide, they are good people.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
NRA said background cheks wont pass but a fox poll showed like 85% of people support it.

Next, they will require mental competency exams to pass the background check, since liberal nut jobs will continue to go nuts and kill kids.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
both dems and the repubs suk...some blow...most suk

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has emerged as a key player if Senate Democrats are to have any chance of passing legislation to expand background checks for private sales of firearms.

McCain and Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Dean Heller (R-Nev.) are at the top of a list of Republicans considered most likely to sign on to legislation expanding background checks after talks with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) stalled earlier this month.

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) has signaled he will likely support the yet-to-be-finalized proposal he negotiated with Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) to expand background checks to cover private gun sales, according to Senate sources.

McStain isn't the Lone Stranger from the GOP on this BS, I suspect that the whole damned Senate will cave and vote for this. Sure, a few will make puzzy-mewing sounds about having problems with universal background checks, but they ALWAYS come together and vote as one large lump of schitt when it comes to screwing over The Citizens. If they'll approve of Elena "Bolshevik" Kagan and The Not-So-Wise Latina, what have they got to lose by voting for this? Their campaign war-chests trumps that of any ordinary citizens who try to take them on during a primary, and their state GOP affiliate will back the incumbent no matter what.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 03/25/13.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I would say about 65% of the 85% don't know background checks are already required. Just more bs to make a legal citizen illegal. ED K

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sounds like he's "Gunning" for a '16 run! Jeb may beat him out on pure RINO name cred, though. One, or one like them, will be the guy who is not the real libtard that all of the blind GOP lever pullers will thoughtfully, pragmatically vote for, again, giving us yet another actual lib, rather than lib lite. AGAIN. Groundhog Day, endless loop idiocy. Rove wing, for the winloss! They have the primaries in da bag, so suck it! Embrace the horror. smile

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
We're all missing the big picture, this is not just about the background checks, it's a cover so the assault weapons ban will be passed on some minor bill while we all watch this.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Him an Jane fonda were bed mates

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chris375
We're all missing the big picture, this is not just about the background checks, it's a cover so the assault weapons ban will be passed on some minor bill while we all watch this.
Uh no, it's not. I don't want to see an AWB passed, but Universal Background Checks are worse, if anything. It's a lack of understanding of the big picture that is screwing gun owners right now. McCain should have been gone long ago, but instead we get dumbassses still hailing what a military hero he is while ignoring the high-profile dickweaselry he's guilty of in the Senate. McCain is a traitor as is any other politician who signs on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.