-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Me and about 15 other yahoos took 4 wheelers ( I had to borrow an old two wheel drive, solid front end as mine is at our cabin)

think the oldest guy there was the guy that owned the cabin, 70 years young and two other guys chasin him late 60's, his son and two pards mid 30's and the rest of us all in the 50's

must have been well over 100K of vehicles parked on the cabin lot, 2 Polaris rangers, two razors, and a buttload of 4 wheelers, everything from Can Am's down to my lil borrowed pos Suzuki, I had the option to ride in the bitch seat on a 6x Ranger, but I'd rather drive my own rig

and rode about 10 miles into a pards fairly new huge log cabin (didn't take any pix damnit)

AR-15's, Saiga 12 ga, with 20 rd mags, assorted other bang sticks and enough tannerite to cover a picnic table! shocked laugh

probably a dozen 1/2 pounders and 1 pounders and about 12 2.5 pounders!

that tannerite is some cool stuff, we were breakin off giant ice floes in the river when we'd hit the stuff and it would explode grin specially those 2.5 lb'ers.

there was an open lead right in the middle of the river, so me and one other pard loaded a backpack with 5 of the 2.5 jugs of tannerite and headed upriver to find a place we could safely cross, made it to the other side, backtracked down to in front of cabin on far bank and started settin out the jugs with some flagging tied upon them. That's when we got attacked by the Chinese retard army sending giant bottle rockets at us! lol, they'd hurl them onto the ice and they'd skip over it, over the open water and toward us! INCOMING !!!

biggest culprit was one jabroni that has the 49th biggest biz in the state of AK, approx 50 mil in annual revenue, don't know whether to be happy or scared that such a big kid can run such an enterprise, stressful gig, he needs these kind of times. He's the same pard that killed a 9 ft. + griz on Kodiak this spring that my pard put him onto.

oh can't forget the dual clay pigeon thrower, hella fun shooting clays with a saiga 12 ga. and the 20 rd'ers with a holographic site. Course there as an 870 or two as well.

fun little handgun too the FN herstal with the 5.7 x 28 rd. and 20 rod mags, first time I'd ever laid eyes upon one, someone mentioned they think SS is using some of those (??)

a box of fireworks that 4 ft. high by 2 ft. square with some doozie packages in there, felt like I was watching Disney shut down for the day!

a pile of stumps bigger than most folks cabins that got the diesel and gas treatment

some fine sippin whiskey and tequila, the kind it's a sin to mix anything with it, just drink it neat

warm for this time of year mid to high 20's

we got some fresh snow but nada like here in town, 7 inch dump here yesterday grin

me and my bestest pard did breakfast yesterday as we've the most experience cooking for a big crew from our guiding days. 36 scrambled egg, cheese, mushroom, giant bowl of hashbrowns, bacon, moose sausage, spicy, mild, italian, hot cakes.

but on Saturday night a retired DC-6 captain, Ron, brought out a giant vat of chili, this guy is a renaisance man, helluva good pilot, very good mechanic and I guess a superb wood worker.

anyhoo, after a bunch of shooting and pyrotechnics via the tannerite it was time to eat, as the chili was bein rewarmed on the stove, he takes a $100 bill outa his pocket and stuffs it in a crack. Ron was lit, he did less than his fair share of shooting but made up for it after the firearms were put away by doin more than his fair share of drinking. He was mixing martinis.

anyhoo he says the hunnert dollar bill is the "door prize"

someone asks "we gonna have a drawing" Sorta Ron says, you'll know if you're the winner though! confused

moose chili's ready, dished up in bowls and cups, so we slather it in shredded cheese and onions and dig in!

whilst we're eating one of the 30 something guys was the, uh, er, lucky winner! Sure enough he spoons up a condom! shocked laugh

only thing Ron missed was puttin a dollop of mayo in the end of that damn thing!

had never seen that stunt, but it was a good one, the kid that one asked him "new or used"

Ron said at my age I can't rightly recall, but don't fret, I shook the F out of it before droppin it in there! sick

laughed till I cried

my god we had some fun

then humongous stump fire and fireworks, spectacular while more booze was consumed, about 4 younger guys working on a neighbors cabin rode down to check out what all the explosions and gunfire were about, said for all they knew WWIII had started and they didn't wanna miss it!

after the fireworks were expended Rob the guy that owns the company I referenced early decided it was time for a night ride, to take the edge off.

he was part of my mountain riding crew at Summit when we were in our 30's (the dude can ride a snowmachine that puts him in a very elite group) fresh air night riding in the mountains often sobered us up a bit, but with all the attendant accidents as well. But powder is different than frozen tundra that's been rutted up before the ground froze. And bein I was on a borrowed machine I sat the night ride out, along with some other guys.

sure enough Rob lost the bags off his wheeler, and Trevor the son of the guy that owns the cabin(s) we stayed at rolled his Rzr (correct spellin this time) no real damage other than he mangled his ear pretty good where it hit the turf.

On the way out after breakfast the next a.m. and clean up, we decided to go down the trail and hit the pipeline access (yes that pipeline) I got stuck in one pretty good sized hole and had to have a pard help me push that lil wheeler up the incline, and off I went. got to the main trail and no one behind us.

turns out my bestest pard got stuck in the same hole and put it in R to get a run, he found another hole on the way back down and the wheeler started to roll on it's side. Oh oh, instinct had him put a leg out, but he was riding a beast of a wheeler and his knee was no match for the weight of his (borrowed)
machine.

tweaked his knee pretty fierce, could hardly walk, but after some guys helped him right his machine, and they joined us at the trail he declined my offer to head back and on to the pipeline we went.

the access road on the pipeline is maintained by Alyeska, thus much smoother so we were able to open up the machines a good bit!

made it back to the parkin lot on that rough trail feeling like I'd been in a fight, old fashioned solid axle 4 wheelers and snowmachines are NOT the ticket for a 50 yr. old carcass with lots of miles upon it!

loaded up and headed to town. Holy hannah, different weather system where we were at, while we got an inch or so of snow out there, they got 7 inches in town. Oh great, tired, whipped and now I've got to plow for 2 hours, if I don't get stuck while doing so!

unloaded my pards duffels and threw them in his Subaru as we rode together out there, pulled the plow truck outa the garage, barely, so much snow I was spinning and gassed it up from the farm tank as it was on fumes. made about 4 passes on the parkin lot and plow went teats up! mad

tried tinkerin with it, NADA

sooo out comes the old fashioned giant snow scoop, cleared upper driveway by hand, those dang scoops hold a lot of snow and are heavy when full of fresh wet snow, easily holds 4-5 scoop shovel loads crazy

hit the turns on the driveway and where the state had plowed entering the driveway and I tell ya I was a tired, sore hombre

had a bowl and a half of moose soup (yum, thanks mom) and a kielbasa sandwich since I hadn't eaten since breakfast that morning.

yes I did indeed sleep good last night.

hope my pard's knee is okay, only black cloud on an otherwise glorious weekend! one for the books

my god I love livin here!

Oh and a big thank you to our Veterans today! (yep that means you Evil Twin and all the other guys that have stood the line)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great time and great story! It's days like those that are the "spice" of life.

Thanks for sharing, Randy!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Randy;
Thanks for the update and wee glance into your life.

After the past bit that you've weathered I'm very happy to read you're able to "let off some steam". wink

All the best to you and your family Randy.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A feller needs a day like that, every once in a while....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thanks fellers,

and Dwayne, I know you and others do have a clue, it feels good to feel comfortable leaving momma behind once again.

her and the 15 year old boy went the Athabascan fiddlers gig Saturday nite where he took his momma dancing

the good lord blessed me mightily with that woman, and she blessed me mightily with the birth of that child

fun to get away but two very good reasons to look forward to coming home!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great story. It sounds like your wife is doing better. Thanks for sharing.

NRA Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2L2Q
some fine sippin whiskey and tequila, the kind it's a sin to mix anything with it, just drink it neat

That means crush the cap and swig straight from the bottle?

Gotta finish it now...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
May your blessings continue to rise...

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great time Randy. I could picture myself living there but not Momma.

Snowing like a mutha here now and I'm off to hockey.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
love to have had you with us Mac, but I'm figuring since she birthed those fine offspring for ya, momma has a better claim!

Cork seems to go in good whiskey these days most often 'bender

if you ever haul yer azz to da Banks, I'd be happy to show you how they work (grin)

tks mucho kent and waterbug, she is doing much better and that is the best thing I've got going in this very good life!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not much of a whisky dude, but what the heck!

The method I described, I learned from drilling legend Irving Grinder on my first AK job. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
momma wasn't much of a whiskey afficiando either when I first met her

amazing how good to great whiskey can change one's mind about how they feel about whiskey

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would probably help if I could tell good whisky from bad whisky...from spruce bark.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Randy I sure think that sounds like fun. Especially the shooting and stump fires! Don't think I would have held up as well as you. I turn into a pumpkin about 9:30 pm anymore.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.