Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i got a new hawkeye for Christmas last year and after hunting with it there are a few things that i would like to change.

i would like add some checkering to the stock on the side right under the action (were the rifle would balance in your hand). this particular area seems VERY slick to me, especially when wet.

i would also like to shorten the length of pull by maybe 1/2" or 3/4" and have the factory recoil pad reinstalled (it seems to do a very good job0.

lastly with the stock, is there any way of weather proofing a wood stock? i know that it would not be as good as a synthetic but is there any way to get it close?

last request. i would like to have the barrel shortened from 24" to 20" and a re blue/recrown.

this rifle is very improtant to me. it was a gift from my daughter and wife on my daughter's first Christmas. i am willing to pay good money and wait a apropriate amount of time for good work.

thanks in advance
jake

Last edited by hillbillyjake; 11/25/08.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any gunsmith should be able to do the work for you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any "GOOD" gunsmith......

State your location and somebody on here will help. Might as well get somebody close if possible.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
central WV. there is a "gunsmith" within 10 minutes of my house and i would not let him pour bb's into my red ryder. local would be good if the smith is competent. if not, i will most definetly ship for good work. thanks for the replies.

jake

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you need more of a stocksmith than a gunsmith--

I've read good things about Ahlman's (sp??) for checkering, supposed to be pretty reasonable. I think they're out of Minnesota, but didn't take the time to google up their website, but have done it before. I imagine they could shorten it up for you as well. I think they're a full service smith, so should be able to cut/crown as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very, very big difference between a gunsmith and a good gunsmith.
I live in Georgia and gladly ship my rifle to WI to a GOOD gunsmith.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
i checked out ahlmans. that is the one stop shop i'm looking for. has anybody had anything done by them? if so let me know.

geo w; gunsmith and GOOD gunsmith, EXACTLY.

jake

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talk to Jeff AKA 260Remguy http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=2698 He has used them IIRC I have sent 2 friends there, both were very pleased.

Last edited by like2shoot; 11/26/08.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
thanks fro the reply. i may try to pm him later today.

jake

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Re: Ahlmans. I have read several positive post about thier work from different posters, can't remember who. I don't think I've read anything negative.

I have saw some example's of Timberline Outfitters work (Scott Depot,WV) and it looks very good, but I don't know if he did the checkering on the rifles I've saw. I have been told that he is very proud of his work ($$). The one rifle that I saw actually being shot, shot very well when the owners buddy was pulling the trigger but not near as well when the owner was actually doing the shooting. grin.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the checkering, call Kimber and see if they can tell you where the gals are that used to work out of the Oregen factory. If they can't help PM me and I'll see if Lee Helgeland knows their whereabouts. They used to do a real nice job and were real reasonable on their prices. I dunno if they could shorten the LOP though.

On the barrel chop, just about any smith can handle that...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.