Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
To avoid confusion, I asking about the front screw of a pre-64 M70 Winchester standard action. This is the action screw that is in the bottom of the lump on the barrel (where the rear sight dovetail is located). I recently replaced my factory stock with a semi-custom stock that did not have a hole drilled for this front screw. I have a few questions about this:

1. Do I need to use that front screw? This would require making a new hole in my new custom non-factory stock.

2. Would I need to use this front screw if I chose to have the stock bedded? It seems like it would be unnecessary to use this front screw in that case. An I wrong about this?

3. This may be an unnecessary question depending upon how the first two go, but this front screw seems like it keeps the barrel from free-floating. In fact, it seems like its the exact opposite of this. How do people normally deal with this screw?

Thanks for the advice.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My standard response to this situation has been to remove the screw, put it in a zip-lock bag with a note indicating which rifle it belonged to and move ahead with whatever minor modifications are necessary to tweak accuracy. If you are putting the barreled action in a custom stock, save the screw and the original factory stock--someone will want to buy them later...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomSmith

1. Do I need to use that front screw? This would require making a new hole in my new custom non-factory stock.

No, not needed.

2. Would I need to use this front screw if I chose to have the stock bedded? It seems like it would be unnecessary to use this front screw in that case. An I wrong about this?

Correct, you're not wrong.

3. How do people normally deal with this screw?

You are again correct about this. If you wish to retain the exterior appearance and not have an empty screw hole in the original stock, you shorten the screw and epoxy it in there, then provide clearance in the barrel channel to float the barrel.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nothin' wrong here...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,732
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.