Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a new Edge for the Model 70 LA sporter barrel channel..The barrel leans to the left(must be a democrat) and has about .007 clearance on that side which I am guessing is not enough clearance. The inletting for the trigger guard at the rear screw is not deep enough. I am assuming the receiver inletting is the problem with the barrel being a little off. How would one fix this problem? The triggerguard I imagine would just have to have .040 thousands or so of material removed in that area and then be bedded.

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A proper bedding job would probably alleviate those issues but in your case I would contact McMillan for their advice.

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send it back...........McM says their stocks don't need bedding.

If it's not sitting straight, it probably can be bedded & corrected, but there's also a good chance it will just be bedded crooked.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

If it's not sitting straight, it probably can be bedded & corrected, but there's also a good chance it will just be bedded crooked.

MM

+1

Send Shoottowin a PM, as it's McMillan's production mananger(Ryan). I'm sure he'll ask you to send it back.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The operative word there is 'need'.. Do they 'need' bedding? Maybe not.. Can bedding be an 'improvement'? Oh, yeah...

MM
Maybe, but usually a minimum of adjustment can be made before bedding to get everything straight.. I've found more issues with mis-inletted bottom metal on McM stocks than anything else.. A little time setting up in the mill and a little machine work gets it done.. For the few that are a bit too deep, a little skim bedding gets it all back on track.. Not a huge deal..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My take, and its just my take..... I wouldn't think of dropping the cash to put an Mc stock on something and not bed it. Doesn't make sense.

And when bedding you have to relieve lots of material, well lets say more material so you can actually get some decent thickness of bedding material in there, say 3/16 or so. I wouldn't bed a gun without taping the barrel until its almost snug so that it centers in the stock.

Unless what you mean is the channel is not wide enough period IE only 007 period....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya know this is a good thread. I have recently switched to McM stocks and for the most part I think I made a good change. But, I have myself had this happen twice, and what piss's me off is that I pay top dollar and then wait for such a long time to get it and then it's not right. They alway do make it right, but I don't have an unlimited life span. I will have mine bedded by my smith, but still what is being discribed here again goes to QC and maybe they should pay more attetion.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have been in contact with Mcmillan and their followup on this matter is commendable.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hornett7722,

My apologies that you have received 2 stocks with the barrel channel inlet being off. For the past year i have laid eyes on every stock that ships from McMillan. We inspect and check rifles for fit the best we can.

I have pm'd oldelkhunter about what could be shifting his barrel off center and we will fix this problem.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
The operative word there is 'need'.. Do they 'need' bedding? Maybe not.. Can bedding be an 'improvement'? Oh, yeah...

Not advocating not bedding; but the fact of the matter is that McM says they don't have to be........the point being that if McM says they don't have to be bedded, then it's a given the the BA has to sit square as received.

MM
Maybe, but usually a minimum of adjustment can be made before bedding to get everything straight.. Why would one pay the long dollar for a McM then need to mill the inletting to get it square.........maybe you think that's OK, but assuredly, I do not. Not a matter of how easy or hard it is, just poor work from the git go. I don't think you'd send a gun out not square, would you?I've found more issues with mis-inletted bottom metal on McM stocks than anything else.. What's that got to do with the action not fitting square ??????? A little time setting up in the mill and a little machine work gets it done.. For the few that are a bit too deep, a little skim bedding gets it all back on track.. Not a huge deal..

MM

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Slow down, dude.. I never said it was 'ok'.. Just that, usually, with bedding, everything gets aligned right..

I've found more issues with mis-inletted bottom metal on McM stocks than anything else.. What's that got to do with the action not fitting square ???????
Nothing.. Never said it did.. Read the sentence again..

Geez.... A little too much caffeine today?? laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 03/29/10.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Geez.... A little too much caffeine today?? laugh

Nope, not too much at all.

Just that the whole thrust of your post tended to imply that getting a $500 stock which was inletted less than straight is OK, no big deal & that a little work fixes it right up.

While I agree that it maybe could/would be fixed with bedding, depending on how bad it really is, the stock & whoever inletted it should be the ones making in right, as McM has obviously agreed to do.

It's a lot easier to bed a BA straight if it fits straight initially, than if it's crooked, especially for a non-pro.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Just that the whole thrust of your post tended to imply that getting a $500 stock which was inletted less than straight is OK, no big deal & that a little work fixes it right up.
Once again, I never said it was OK.. If you read it as otherwise, I can't state it much clearer than that.. But guess what.. The majority of stocks aren't within .0005 of straight either - no matter who makes 'em - wood or synthetic..

While I agree that it maybe could/would be fixed with bedding, depending on how bad it really is, the stock & whoever inletted it should be the ones making in right, as McM has obviously agreed to do.

It's a lot easier to bed a BA straight if it fits straight initially, than if it's crooked, especially for a non-pro.

MM
Of course... But considering it takes 4-6 months to get the stock, sending it back can/will take another month or two.. At times, the customer's on a schedule and it's tons faster to have the smith do whatever minor corrections needed to get the job done on time.. Not always, obviously, but usually.

It's rather funny actually.. A few years ago I got reamed out for calling attention to inletting woes on McMillan stocks.. Now I'm getting reamed for defending 'em..

I can't win on this issue.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[ The majority of stocks aren't within .0005 of straight either

I'll take .0005" any day of the week..........

It's rather funny actually.. A few years ago I got reamed out for calling attention to inletting woes on McMillan stocks.. Now I'm getting reamed for defending 'em..

I can't win on this issue.. laugh laugh

Nah, not reaming you, just a little poking here & there........ grin

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I'll take .0005" any day of the week..........

MM
Aha.. So NOW you accept imperfection..

Gotta stay consistent, my man..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't had one yet that would drop in and be ready to shoot. Maybe the 700 stocks do, but the others must not. It gets fixed when you bed it. Haven't had one so screwed up that it wasn't salvageable. Never bothered to send one back-you wait so long that you don't dare turn loose of the sucker!!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dennisinaz,

If you any issues in the future with a stock not being a drop in please let me know. If we don't hear from you we assume it is correct. Especially since your local and you wouldn't have to ship your rifle and wait the extra few days for delivery when we are done with it.

Ryan Melancon
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks Inc.
Production Mgr
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing I found odd with mine was that when I put the bbl action in the stock I can rotate it back and forth quite a bit. Is this normal?

I understand that once the screws are in place it cannot go as far but it does still rotate.

I am considering bedding it but I just can not get it to shoot consistent yet and would like to at least work on that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
78CJ,

I think the point of bedding it is to help get it to shoot consistently.

Bed it correctly first, then work on finding a load that shoots consistently.

That's the order I do things in, YMMV.

Leftybolt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I understand that.

I am just not patient enough and just want to get out and shoot. Will bed and report back.

Ryan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.