Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll admit that I've never used paste wax as a release agent. I have always used the liquid that came with the Agra-Glass kits, it's aresol equivalent or Hornady One-Shot case lube.

For those that use paste wax (Johnson's or other), Kiwi shoe polish, etc, after the initial application(s), do you buff the wax or leave it as is?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use the pure carnauba wax agent in Probed and buff it out with a microfiber cloth.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I leave it as is but I don't put it on real thick and I put it on with a cloth dampened with varsol. I think paste wax is, far and away, the best release agent I have used over the last fifty years. GD

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've used Trewax with mixed results, but prefer Brownell's release agent.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I'll admit that I've never used paste wax as a release agent. I have always used the liquid that came with the Agra-Glass kits, it's aresol equivalent or Hornady One-Shot case lube.

For those that use paste wax (Johnson's or other), Kiwi shoe polish, etc, after the initial application(s), do you buff the wax or leave it as is?
I leave it as-is.. But make sure you let it dry first.. Then bed the rifle..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't put it on so thick that it's texture shows.....or your bedding will reflect that.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put on 2-3 light coats of Renaissance paste wax, letting it dry in between. If you go on light, there is no need to buff unless you have heavy/lumpy spots. If I do have to buff out irregularities I always go back over with a real light coat and leave it be.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gzig5
I put on 2-3 light coats of Renaissance paste wax

Same here after sticking one Renaissance or Johnsons. Multiple coats add peace of mind. If there are any recesses not filled with playdo I shoot them with Hornaday One shot in addition to the wax. I also wax the stock and then masking tape over that. Cleanup usually is just a matter of pulling the tape off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish. I'll put on several coats, buffing lightly between coats. On the last coat I don't buff it, just let it dry.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I leave it as-is.. But make sure you let it dry first.. Then bed the rifle..

Yep, I use Johnson's paste wax and it works great. One coat and let it dry. No need to use 2 or 3 coats.... JMHO... I will, however, use hornady one shot case lube in those hard to get to spots, as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paint Johnsons on the desired areas with a smallish brush (like water color). Leave as is. Never had a failure.

1Minute
P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
ditto to the above I have used it for over 50 years.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ditto to the above (Johnsons), I've used it 42 years , must have listened to pod! Nothing like experience!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm feeling frisky today so I thought I would share one of our in house secrets. For release agent try ordinary paraffin wax like Parowax household wax that you find in the box at the grocery store during canning season. Warm a chunk with a propane torch till it just starts to get soft then apply with a rag just like paste wax. You can polish it up to a high sheen. We do two coats. The really slick thing is to use the torch and drip it into any holes or slots you want filled and them shave flush with a razor blade. Do your bedding and you will find your action will pop right out on the first or second bop on the bench. You will have the shiniest bedding job you ever saw. To remove it out of the holes and crevices of the action just run the propane over it for just a bit and the wax turns to a water consistency and runs right out or can be soaked up with a rag or q-tips. You won't do that with play dough or any kind of clay. A box of wax will last years and is cheap.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HiredGun
I'm feeling frisky today so I thought I would share one of our in house secrets. For release agent try ordinary paraffin wax like Parowax household wax that you find in the box at the grocery store during canning season. Warm a chunk with a propane torch till it just starts to get soft then apply with a rag just like paste wax. You can polish it up to a high sheen. We do two coats. The really slick thing is to use the torch and drip it into any holes or slots you want filled and them shave flush with a razor blade. Do your bedding and you will find your action will pop right out on the first or second bop on the bench. You will have the shiniest bedding job you ever saw. To remove it out of the holes and crevices of the action just run the propane over it for just a bit and the wax turns to a water consistency and runs right out or can be soaked up with a rag or q-tips. You won't do that with play dough or any kind of clay. A box of wax will last years and is cheap.

How much fit does it give you if you want to coat afterwards?

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Long ago I walked in on the local gunsmith when he was in a foul mood. He was a curmudgeonly sort but that day took the cake. Evidently a customer had just done his first bedding job- entire action and barrel channel. Yep, no release agent. "The simple sorry SOB wants me to fix it. Hah!"- he said as he raised the hatchet over his head...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No problems at all for coating and most our rifles get coated. I'm not sure if the acetone soak gets it or the gas out burns it off but never noticed a problem. My AO isn't contaminated because I have never had a fisheye. I'm pretty certain even ordinary rubbing alcohol would wipe most of it right off. If you are not coating the gun then no need to remove it. Like any wax it gives good protection from water.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tip.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag for future reference

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Kiwi Neutral shoe polish and leave it as is. I always bed with Devcon. I remember buying a used Model 70 from a customer for resale. I discovered that he had bedded it and created a mechanical lock. Deal was done.

Kelly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.