Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just picked up a Swed M94 (1906 version)in what I feel is very good condition with a wonderfully glass smooth action($165). Matching numbers all around. Likely I will chop it, rebarrel, restock, new trigger, but retain the original cartridge. Haven't seen much on sporterizing these.

The questions: Given the 90 degree bolt sweep, are there any issues or difficulties with either bending or installing a new handle to clear a scope?

Secondly, is the safety conversion seamless?

Thirdly, anything else I should watch out for in a workup?

Lastly, the barrel on this unit is threaded between the front sight and the muzzle. Anyone know what was originally installed there? Obviously looking for Mr. Answer Man. Appreciate the help, 1MInute

1Minute
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is that a 94 Carbine? If so, please don't chop it if it is still in original condition. If it is in good condition, you could very easily triple your money on it.

If it is a 94 Carbine, the thread on the end means that is was imported in the 1960s and had a small barrel extension placed on it by the importers to meet barrel length restrictions in place at the time.

Seriously, I know some people just view rifles as a tool, but a 94 Carbine is not one of the military rifles to cut up. They are getting rarer and more valuable every day.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cossatotjoe: No, it's not a carbine. Darned near as tall as I am. I did a bit of home work and thought is was a good buy. Had it been a carbine, I would be dancing in the streets and the unit would be preserved. Appreciate the thoughts, 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 04/03/07.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Lastly, the barrel on this unit is threaded between the front sight and the muzzle. Anyone know what was originally installed there? " My understanding is the barrel was threaded for a device so that wooden practice bullets could be fired, and the bullets were broken up or shredded and practice could be performed without having to have a full range. Several sellers in SGN used to sell the wood projectile ammo.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like2shoot: Thanks for the info. Still floating the questions on any build issues with those units. 1Minute

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm awaiting too 1Minute. I have an early 50's vintage Husqvarna that was based on the military action. It has a turned down bolt, but not enough to clear a low scope setup. Like you I need to have the bolt handle altered, D&T, a low safety and an adj trigger. FWIW from a non-gunsmith, most of the inputs I've noted on trying a cock-on-opening conversion say don't do it. Experts... pls weigh in. Don

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just finished one I welded on a new bolt handle and installed a new safety and an adjustable trigger. cut barrel scoped it . and put a sportized stock on it. and it is very accurate..

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First, just cut the barrel and recrown at the first step. All of these rifles in good condition typically shoot 3/4 inch groups with 140 gr bullets, even with the longish throat. Mine won't shoot anything lighter though very accurately.

The safety takes some cutting, etc,I uses a diamond rotary saw to get a good straight, smooth cut. The cocking coversion and safety takes a little bit of fitting.

I just bent the bolt handle on mine. But you need to put the bolt on some type of a heat sink so as not to crap up the heat treating when you heat up the handle with a torch.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hubert and Saddlesore: Any specifics as to the safety and trigger (Brand or model)? Would a forward/backward safety be a better conversion than the typical tip up/down seen on most Mausers? As to triggers, after using an Anschutz with a 1 ounce trigger for a couple of ground squirrel seasons, I'm growing extremely intolerant of units that exceed 2 lbs. I have no issues with the cock on close system unless there's some personal safety deal I'm not aware of. A cursory exam reveals a little different layout for the trigger compared to the classic M98's. There's the typical sear at the rear and another rounded projection up into the bottom of the bolt raceway perhaps 1.5 inches forward of the first. What is the function of the forward portion?

This discussion makes me want to get started today. The suggestion of simply starting with a short chop on the barrel and giving that a go, sounds like a good idea too. No sense swapping it out if it already performs. I'd likely strip the sights off, as I like a clean profile. I will farm out the metal work, as I have no tools for that. I do enjoy chiseling away at wood though. Thanks for the thoughts, 1Minute

1Minute
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
1 minute, the forward projection you are referring to prevents the gun from firing unless the bolt is fully closed.

You will notice a corresponding slot in the bolt that the projection fits into when the bolt is fully closed.

Aren't mausers amazing!

Rojelio

IC B3

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rojelio : "Aren't Mausers amazing!" Yes Sir! Obviously they are a well thought out design that has been essentially copied by most of the major makers for about a 100 years. Sadly, it' taken me about 45 years to finally appreciate that. Take care, 1Minute

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
1minute. As I remember , I had to install a brass plug in the bottom of the reciever for a portion of the Timney Sportsman trigger I installed to rest on.I believe the saftey was a Bhueler ( sp)

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sporterized 2 Swedes from M96's..The M94 is a different carbine model and is only about 37" long.None have aftermarket barrels, they were cut to 24" and crowned.
This is a M94 with the stock cut back and original barrel.I bought it this way and did not chop it:
[Linked Image]
These are two sporters I built from M96's:[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is one of the sporters with an original m96:
[Linked Image]

Here is a M38 with some mods:]
[Linked Image]

I use Roy May at the Gun Shack in Moscow Kansas to turn the bolts.He does great work and for $35 pays return shipping and turnaround has been less than 10 days.His phone # is 620-598-2394.

Last edited by Aardvark; 04/05/07.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Aardvark: Who did the bolt handle job on the the rifle in the second photo? 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Aardvark: Who did the bolt handle job on the the rifle in the second photo? 1Minute

Roy has done all mine.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Didn't the carbines have a turned down bolt for the calvary?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Didn't the carbines have a turned down bolt for the calvary?

Some did for the M38 but they won't clear a scope.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just couldn't bring myself to chop up my Svede. I found a scout style scope mount for it. Mated with a nice Leupold scope, you can't go worng. "Google" S&K scope mounts. They are far stronger than other mounts on the market. A guy just has to replace the rear sight to install the mount. It also helps keep the snobby,holier than thou, milsurpers from having spasms and making funny choking noises while at the range...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.