Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to shorten an H-S Precision stock 3/4 inch, from 14.25 to 13.5.

I've never cut one open.

Will there be enough stock material around the preimeter to glue the recoil pad to.

I would like to reuse the existing pad.

What proplems might I have it any?

Thank you.

Thank you.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is enough shell material and filler to glue to, though I prefer to glue a block of hardwood in the back end for which to attach a pad. The problems you are likely to encounter will be saving, cleaning up, refitting and gluing the original pad back on. Not that you can't, but for the relatively low cost of a new pad, why?

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reba
I need to shorten an H-S Precision stock 3/4 inch, from 14.25 to 13.5.

I've never cut one open.

Will there be enough stock material around the preimeter to glue the recoil pad to.

I would like to reuse the existing pad.

What proplems might I have it any?

Thank you.

Thank you.

The problem you will run into, is the toe angle. As you shorten the stock the toe angle will change. Take a short piece of wood, mark the current angle with a marker, move the wood up the stock to the length you will shortn the stock to. Note there will not be enough pad area to get the toe angle right. Unless you have installed a lot of pads, you would be better off returning the stock and have the work done. Or find a guy that does a lot of recoil pad installations.

I don't mean to sound harch with this answer, when evrr this question has been asked of me by customers, the guy has never done a pad before. For the guy that does a lot of pads, this job is just one of the many jobs a shop sees all the time. For a guy that has not done this job, it is just beyond belief to get done right the first time, without damage to the stock.

Most of the time you will pay under fifty dollars plus the cost of the pad for this work.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It will be done by someone that does this type of work.

I just wanted to know if there was enough material.

Thanks.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.