Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The down in the mud prone shooters taught me to maintain position and cheek weld as much as you can because consistent is accurate. Well I took those lessons to heart and discovered that my divinely inspired, has no flaws, perfection personified Remington does in fact have flaws!

It seems like when I am fumbling from the prone position I am prone to jamming or misfeeding or getting all fumbled up and having to dump the magazine out the bottom to get cleared up.

Should I be buying an aftermarket mag follower or better spring? Or just practice more with fiddling with it from the prone position?

I hate to admit it, but I am almost thinking the Ruger has some advantages!

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The prone position is a difficult position to feed a bolt action rifle from while trying to maintain a cheek weld. Try this, lay your open hand along side the receiver sliding it forward and backwards. Use the forward edge of the hand, to feed the round, and the rearward edge, between the thumb and forefinger, to retract the bolt. Use your palm to lift and lower the bolt handle. The motion must be uninterrupted and smooth.

I would recommend pulling the firing pin assembly and do some practicing with dummies. Maybe turn on the Military channel and watch how the military snipers work the bolt. It's pretty slick and quite controllable once you get the hang of it.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the feedback!

Seems like I bought something from lock stock and barrel once. Was it Sgt Owen's books? Y'all send out a catalog or is my memory failing me?

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
Thanks for the feedback!

Seems like I bought something from lock stock and barrel once. Was it Sgt Owen's books? Y'all send out a catalog or is my memory failing me?

That would be a different Lock, Stock and Barrel. Probably a supply house from somewhere around Nebraska or something.

My initial reply on this thread should have started with "First make sure the magazine box and follower are assembled correctly." People who pull their rifles down sometimes get the magazine box out of whack during reassembly which can result in real feeding nightmares. As a general rule, if the mag box assembly is installed correctly, and you are not trying to feed something the box and follower were not made for, then the Remington 700 will feed reliably.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
You don't see any value in getting an extra special super duper aftermarket tactical follower and spring of some kind?

I'll check and see if I have mis-adjusted something in there.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I will go along with Malm here, proper bolt operation will prevent a lot of problems. You have to operate the bolt "like you mean it". wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.